What game got you hooked?

Azure79

Sometimes I think I'm the only gamer in the world who has never played Mario, in any incarnation. :D

Not quite the only one, perhaps. :D

I've seen one of them played, though.

Hero's Quest I was the first game I loved on the PC, and I still play from time to time in Dosbox - nothing beats the epic quality of taking the same character from QfG1 to QfG5.  The King's Quest games were good, too.

You might be interested in this for that little surge of nostalgia... or even if you just want something a little more retro. Haven't played in too far yet, but what I've seen seems to be quite well done.

Am still waiting on the Quest for Glory 2 remake, though. Trailer for it looks good, at least.

The game that got me "hooked" was The Bard's Tale for PC... around '89 or so. I'd been interested for some time before then, but that was the first time it got to be more than a passing interest. But, then I got unhooked. Then I got re-hooked with Baldur's Gate and the IE games. Now I'm unhooked again.

Edited by Magnum Opus

The game that got me hooked on console gaming was Mario 3. After that, not so much PC gaming (though I still did some on my Apple II and Mac Plus). While I still had a PC for gaming (Ultima VII is why I got my first PC), I didn't become a full-fledge PC guy again until I played Half-Life.

omg, how could I forget space invaders? It's not really one that 'hooked' me on games, but I sure played it a lot. *bweeeee* *dereee* *whoooo*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The game that got me hooked on console gaming was Mario 3.  After that, not so much PC gaming (though I still did some on my Apple II and Mac Plus).  While I still had a PC for gaming (Ultima VII is why I got my first PC), I didn't become a full-fledge PC guy again until I played Half-Life.

Half-Life for the win!

You might be interested in this for that little surge of nostalgia... or even if you just want something a little more retro.  Haven't played in too far yet, but what I've seen seems to be quite well done.

Am still waiting on the Quest for Glory 2 remake, though.  Trailer for it looks good, at least.

Hey, thanks! (w00t) I didn't realise they'd finished. The QfG2 remake is taking a while, but AGD does have a record of releasing its remakes, so I doubt it will be vapourware. I'm also looking forward to The Silver Lining, Coming Soon Quite Soon Eventually? >_<

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Hooked on computer gaming?..

First game was some wierd ascii one loaded from casette on Microbee comp with a monochrome orange screen where you were suppose to trap monsters (displayed as 0's) by moving blocks with your X character...

What really got me hooked though was probably playing Giana sisters, Spy vs Spy and loads of other games on my Comandore 64..

What do you want?.. blink.gif

Although I played many games before them, the games that got me truly hooked on gaming were DOOM and the second generation of Commander Keen games (the Goodbye Galaxy games and Aliens Ate My Babysitter).

The game that got me hooked on CRPG's, pulling me in like no other game had, is Baldur's Gate.

L.

Edited by Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

I think the one that got me hooked was probably the arcade Space Invaders machine. My former brother in law worked on arcade games and we had one at his house that was rigged for unlimited play. Ah, the '70s really sucked.

The game that convinced me that we needed to have some sort of gaming system, however, was Adventure on the Atari 2600.

We had Pong, but that just wasn't a deciding factor.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The sewers were great because of the music. And the boxing was teh sveetness. I liked tricking the guards though--

Guard: "hey you, you aren't supposed to be here!" Indy: "Hello, I'm selling these fine leather jackets."-

-(and if the guard's DC is low enough), Guard: "Oh, that is a nice jacket... How much?"

-(if the DC is too high) Guard: "I'm not falling for that, you're coming with me!" Indy: "Wait, I have something for you..." This brings up a window of your inventory, so you could bribe him I guess, but I always selected, "[Give fist]" wherein Indy throws a punch and begins a boxing fight with the guard.

Edited by Blank

I remember there being a locked gate in the sewers that I could never get past.

It didn't help that I was a crappy gamer at the time either.

:blink: sorry man. How about Freelancer though? I have broadband now... I VANT TO PLAY WITH THE GANG!

I can only conclude that we're all a bunch of old farts, any other board would have cries of Resident Evil! Or Halo!11!

Mine was Manic Miner on my old rubber keyed 48K Speccy. I got back into gaming in 2000 and I blame Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate.

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

I had always liked games when I was young. Growing up with the NES I liked alot of games but none on the console got me hooked. Infact, no nostalgic games of the "old days" had a good hook. For their time they were advanced and amazing which is what drew people back then.

The inevitable start of my gaming can be traced to a few games through the years. Zelda: Link to the Past started it, Mario RPG, Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time specifically hooked me.

wookiedance.gif