NWN2 only 20 hours long?

Meshugger

Wouldn't own a console so I couldn't tell you.

Don't let that stop you. It doesn't stop anyone else around here!

hahahahahaha Okay, this is a snippy comment. It was funny as hell, but it was still snippy. Total comedy. I love the internet.

Anyhow, I see Hades agreed that it might be early to judge. In reading the posts since I responded to his comment, I noticed that Sawyer has been saying the exact same thing since. We really don't know yet. I agree with the idea of clamoring for what we want before release, but I also think we should keep in mind that we simply cannot know the truth this far out.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

as such we don't know how many reviewers actually finish the games they is reviewing. 

We try. Sometimes we have enough time to play the game through to the end and sometimes not. Depends on what time of year it is and how many new releases come in the same time period. I was fortunate enough to be able to play Oblivion for vast amounts of time before I had to turn in the review, but for Call of Duty 2 (as an example) I only had a day to play through it. I never made it to the end of that one before handing in the review, something which clearly showed in the text.

Some games you don't have to play through to the end to appreciate their greatness (Half-Life 2 is a good example) and some games can fool you into thinking the game is good for 30 hours before you realize it's crap and it's not getting any better no matter how much time you spend on it (Morrowind).

My best advice is probably to use a site like www.gamerankings.com, which is a site that gathers reviews from several sources on the net for every game and then gives an average based on all those different reviewers. Relying on just one or two reviewers/game sites is risky.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And if the total game time is 20 hours but it's 20 good hours then what more could you ask?

Good 40 to 60 hours.

Ok so how about they add another 20 hours and back the release date into 2Q 2007? Might crush any hope of expansions as well.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This isnt really a very constructive thing to say, but Ill have NWN2 on pre-order either way because even if its short or horrendously flawed, itll still be a better CRPG than anything Bethesda or BioWare could ever make.

Im not a fanboy, OE's idea of what a great CRPG is just happens to coincide with my own.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

They had the dev time from BG2... is that a 20 hours game? Ofcourse due to 3D and new animation and stuff it might take longer to make a single gaming-hour. But I sincerly doubt a company that can make 40 hours of good gameplay in A YEAR (1/3rd of Kotor1) will make only 20 in 3 YEARS (where-in Bioware made 60 (NWN) or 40 (kotor1)...)

Why have a 200% speedgain in one project yet slow down 300% (on the original...NOT on the extra 200) in the other if you knew the rushing of content (which now is plenty of time to fix) caused the bad reviews?

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

"Besides, saying you will not buy a game six months from release because of an estimate given buy a non engineer executive who has no even played a full game seems more than a little childish to me."

actually, saying that you don't care what the boss of the developing company making the game has to say 'bout the game 6 months in advance seems pretty darn foolish.

again, fergie may be wrong. he has in the past been wrong, but if you simply choose to ignore fergie comments 'cause you really wanna like nwn2, then we sees same ugly cycle the preceded and followed toee and other games. your only real power is in your wallet.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

hahahahahaha  Okay, this is a snippy comment.  It was funny as hell, but it was still snippy.  Total comedy.  I love the internet.

You've got to admit that attitude about consoles is very prevalent on these boards even from people who have little to no experience with consoles. It's not much better in the console community, actually. Xbox vs. PS2 vs. GameCube was a laugh riot.

"LOL GAMECUBE MORE LIKE KIDCUBE AND THE REVOLUTION CONTROLLER SHOULD BE A RATTLE BECAUSE NINTENDOS ARE FOR BABIES!"

I played Fallout 1 for 60 hours on my first play through.  I did a lot of exploring.

Hades, you always want to have things both ways. You beat every other game lickity split. You took 60 hours for Fallout. Now, I take a long time for every game. I try to do eveything I can. I agonize over character creation. I milk it for what it's worth. You play some games really fast in order to argue you finished them quickly. You play some games really slow in order to argue you took a long time.

I like you Hades, but you have absolutely no credibility. None. You make so many contradictory statements, rife with so many opposing views, that I simply cannot take you seriously. The only thing you accomplish in most threads is to muddy the water.

You're a fixture. You're a landmark. You're the ultimately manifestation of Randomness on this board. ...But, as Gromnir might say, you is nuts.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

actually, saying that you don't care what the boss of the developing company making the game has to say 'bout the game 6 months in advance seems pretty darn foolish. 

A lot can be readded or cut in six months. The game is done so far as construction and programming. It is only a questions of what is in or out at this point and I would bet that stays pretty fluid for a while now. To tell the truth Grom had he made a comment I took as negative or defeatist one month from going gold, then I would take notice.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"A lot can be readded or cut in six months."

am thinking the developers would disagree. stuff can be cut, but it is pretty unlikely that anything gets added at this point. you gotta know at what point you have to stop adding material to a game if you wanna get it out by Date X. the total number of areas is probably fixed by now... and adding more quests or other content into those areas becomes increasingly unlikely as each day passes.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This isnt really a very constructive thing to say, but Ill have NWN2 on pre-order...

Yeah, I'm buying it sight unseen. I have the money to spend and I'm getting the damned game. If I don't like, I'm going to be here complaining. My favorite targets will be folks telling me that I shouldn't ever buy a game pre-order.

To be honest, however, I buy a lot of games on pre-order and I almost always enjoy them. Anyhow, I'm buying this game sight unseen. If it sucks, I won't be preordering the next.

Obsidian Plays

You've got to admit that attitude about consoles is very prevalent on these boards even from people who have little to no experience with consoles.

I have some experience with games that have been hindranced and sometimes severly handicapped because of the Xbox, which in itself is enough to make me sneer at those devices...

"A lot can be readded or cut in six months."

am thinking the developers would disagree.  stuff can be cut, but it is pretty unlikely that anything gets added at this point.  you gotta know at what point you have to stop adding material to a game if you wanna get it out by Date X.  the total number of areas is probably fixed by now... and adding more quests or other content into those areas becomes increasingly unlikely as each day passes.

HA! Good Fun!

Actually I meant re-adding something already made but cut in the first pre-release version. But you are correct.

Thomas Sowell

hehehe. I especially love the PS3 v Xbox 360 discussions! Talk about shamelessly dishonest.

Obsidian Plays

"Those don't count as those are PC games ported to console."

Um. No. KOTOR series isn't a port. It was made with both in mind; but came out on x-box first. What are you talking about Willis, and why mkae things up?

"Dragon Quest 8 has a really strong story, but it also has a fantastic gameworld that gives you the illusion that you're free to do anything."

DQ8 is horrible. I played a couple of hours, and I was bored out of my mind. One of the worst Japanese RPGs ever, and it spits on the face of the great Dragon Warrior series.

"hotu were not gonna be playable mp..."

HOTU is mp. I know this as a fact as I've played it mp.

"The CEP alone had more than a million downloads."

Meh. proves nothing. I've downloaded CEP myself at least 3 times for various reason (computer reboot or crash for example)>

"I played Fallout 1 for 60 hours on my first play through. I did a lot of exploring."

How the heck did you do that? You must have done random fights then. There's simply not much to explore in the world.

"That is assuming Atari lets them patch it."

They seem to have no problem 'letting' BIO patch NWN. :rolleyes:

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"That is assuming Atari lets them patch it."

They seem to have no problem 'letting' BIO patch NWN. :rolleyes:

BioWare has more power than Obsidian...

(Since it is the only game OE made so far we go compare the Kotors again...)

Kotor1 had 3 patches and a bonus planet (Yavin)

Kotor2 had (along time later) 2 patches (unfinished) and an "movie/music" patch, which was quasi-leaked, as you can't get it from the official site(s). Request for adding in additional content were... rejected

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

"BioWare has more power than Oblivion"

That's Obsidian's problem.

Besides, Obsidian has enough 'power' to get the rights to develop sequels to two multi million selling games. They cna't be weak. They even have two other games lined up. Heck, that's 4 games total meaning even if they make just those they're already more successful than Troika was. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if KOTOR2 itself outsold all of Troika's games or close to it. LOL

Besdies, I think some people are underestimating Obsidian's standing in the gaming world. It's not they'r e abunch of rookies ala when BIO started out. They have a long history which means contacts (as evdienced with them getting both KOTOR2 and NWN2 prettty much as soon as they started).

And, i think this 'Obsidian is weak' line is just an exuse by Obsidian fanboys to make exuses for when Obsidian does soemthing they dislike.

Obsdiian makes good chocies, and they make bad choices. Just like BIO, or any other company. Let's let them take responsibilty (as they have depsite their fanboys) so we don't have another Troika on our hands.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Being friends with an other dev doesn't help you with the publishers.

And the main reason OE got these 2 was because BIO wanted to make something new. If they saw alot of fun into proceeding with the 2 games OE prob. never got them. Nor if BIO knew before what a failure JE would become...

^

Wow...the 5 or 6 pages per hour since noon thing is sort of....wow. Anywho, it's great to see devs actually interacting with their forum goers, unlike many, many, many, many other companies out there.

For the record, I've finished K1 in under 18 hours, K2 under 22 (Both played [for the 3rd or 4th time] with the intent to finish as quickly as possible.), never finished IWD or IWD 2, but I was up to around 30 in each when I gave up on them, NWN took me around...hell, that one took the longest. Not very enjoyable in terms of story, mind you, but long. (I'd of preferred some 10-20 hours to have been cut in favor of a better OC.) Never messed with the Toolset or MP in NWN. Not once, but I still got the expansions...why? My dad loved the original so he bought them all, and I got them when he was done. Not bad, overall.

I never finished BG...or BG 2...noticing a trend here? I haven't played FO, FO2, TOEE, or PS:T so I can't exactly offer up an opinion on them.

I'll be getting NWN 2 the second it comes out. The hell with everything, I trust these guys to put out a strong product. For all it's shortcomings, K2 was a great game (Except the...er..."ending", of course.). Not only that, I'm damned sure I'll enjoy every minute of play time, be it 20 hours, or 50. :rolleyes:

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast