Your favorite type of game to play

Self-explanatory I think. What type of games do you like to play most, and why? :p

My absolute favorites would have to be real-time strategy. *proudly clutches Starcraft* Nothing quite like building and commanding your own armies and beating the stuffing out of your opponent. :p

Second favorite is probably RPG's, since I like the character-building, dialogue, equipment, neat abilities, and replayability.

FPS's are definitely up there as well, since sometimes nothing beats just blowing away enemies with big guns. :-

Or, to build on that, are there any types of games you don't like to play? Discuss.

Edited by Mothman

While most of the games I like can be found in some genres it is difficult to choose one or other genre itself as a favorite. I could say my favorite genre is the computer roleplaying game, but then I find elements of roleplaying applied to other games like Deus Ex or Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and I like those hybrids, sometimes even more than standard CRPGs. On the other hand, I wasn't much of a fan of strategy games but then I enjoyed Starcraft and the recent version of Sid Meier's Pirates! - the later with some roleplaying elements as well.

RPG's but anything with a good story will usually keep me involved long enough to finish it.

Why RPGS ?

Stories are generally the focus.

You have a choice in how you play

Average of 40-80 hours play time

Replayable without falling into the same practice patterns

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Tough one. I play FPSs the most, but RPGs are probably my favorite. Some of my favorite moments have come from Adventure games, so that's on the list.

I guess, if I had to make a command decision, I'd go with RPGs. After all, that's why I'm hanging out on a message board sponsored by an RPG developer.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I like storydriven games. By storydriven games, I mean actual games, that provide actual interactivity within storytelling, not just crap that pretends to introduce 'interactivity' by having combat within a completely linear story format. This refers to CRPGs for the most part. I'm very unimpressed with JRPGs nowadays; I'd rather just watch anime than have to suffer through what ends up being inefficient storytelling segmented by random combat and dungeon crap.

I like strategy games. Real-time or turn-based is irrelevant. My favorite example right now would be Hearts of Iron II (which is, incidentally, real-time). Conventional mainstream 'RTS' do not count - strategy, my eye. I want games that actually focus on strategy, featuring warfare on an operational level. If the focus of the game is on microing crap, dancing individual units, or memorizing building queues that require no actual thought, then the game has failed.

I like tactical games, games which aren't compromised by 'action' or 'twitch'. Real-time or turn-based is irrelevant. Combat Mission comes to mind. The upcoming Tactica Online should be promising as well.

I like military simulators, otherwise known as realistic FPS, such as Operation Flashpoint or the upcoming Red Orchestra: Ostfront. Crap like Counterstrike that pretend to be are eliminated. I want tactical teamplay, proper coordination and communication, not stupid 1337 skills, to dictate victory.

This is what I like.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I like not having to pigeon-hole my games.

Take my latest favorate, Hearts of Iron 2, it's a 'realtime strategy' because it's a game focused entirely on strategy and it's in realtime, and yet, 'RTS' players would hate it and most probably wouldn't even recognise it as an 'RTS'.

Sacrifice, Hostile Waters, Battlezone 2, all some of my favorate games, and yet, none of them can be done justice with the crude monikers that the industry loves throwing around these days.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

RTS games with a sense of humor and are different from the typical AoE sort of standard. Unfortunately there aren't too many of those so it's usually RPG & RPG-lites. And the occasional action/adventure.

I don't care much about story, really...RPG's & Strategy just has more tinkering to obsess over...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

ADVENTURE

with

a close second. Story and characters are what do it for me; I don't like adventures that are too puzzle-focused or RPGs that are too combat heavy. I'm optimistic that Fahrenheit will lead to interesting things in the adventure genre. :)

I like plenty of games from outside these genres, too - makes sense to keep an open mind.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

RPG's but anything with a good story will usually keep me involved long enough to finish it.

Why RPGS ?

Stories are generally the focus.

You have a choice in how you play

Average of 40-80 hours play time

Replayable without falling into the same practice patterns

Yes, that's pretty much my take as well.

Still, I tend to play anything with a powerful story that grabs my attention, no matter what type of game it is. I played both Star Trek: Armada 1 and 2 for that reason alone. Same with Diablo 1 + 2 - loved the dark story, but didn't like the game system so much, so once I had seen all the movies, me interested plummetted. Same thing with Starcraft btw - play through to see how story turns out, then drop it completely.

Edited by Jediphile

...nuthin' like a good RPG...takes yer mind offa the real world... :shifty:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

It's a toss up between RPG and smart FPS, with TBS coming behind a close second.

It's funny, because there are several RPGs and FPSs that I love to pieces but among TBS games the only one that I find really addictive is Civ (Alpha Centauri included). That's not to say I haven't enjoyed games like MOO, Stars!, Disciples or Jagged Alliance, but none of these took control of my life like Civ, System Shock 2 or Fallout 2.

There was once a time when I really enjoyed adventure games, but nowadays they just isn't true anymore. I loved Monkey Island for example, but now I think that if the game wasn't so funny I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. It seems to me that the gameplay in those Lucasarts(or Sierra) adventures was really awful.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: