Cinema and Movie Thread: coming at you at 24fps

Raithe

Thing is, I just can't store all those DCD and bluray thingies anymore. It's too much clutter, I use it not often enough to justify having it around, and moving to a different place is just such a pain the more garbage you have in boxes.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

10 hours ago, Lexx said:

Thing is, I just can't store all those DCD and bluray thingies anymore. It's too much clutter, I use it not often enough to justify having it around, and moving to a different place is just such a pain the more garbage you have in boxes.

I hear ya. At least they're not VHS box sized anymore. Old game/photo discs, if I didn't toss them, I took out of the jewel cases/packaging and into a slip cover binder, (the one I have is smaller) saves a lot of space. I could probably do the same with tv/film discs so then my 3 shelves would be 1-2 binders, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am absolutely not tossing my ST:TOS, not-digitally effects enhanced discs, even if I tossed everything else.
Most of what I have I bought 10+ years ago, like CSI ssn 1-9, Supernatural, Breaking Bad. I could toss about half the dvd film discs I have tho. I have maybe a dozen bluray films, including My Fair Lady, because I love that movie.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My wife had like 200 movies on a bunch of USB drives so I got her a small (physically small) external hard drive so she only has to keep track of that. Not that it's much to keep track of as it's just connected to the TV at all times.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Anatomy of a Fall (2023).

ovl61z.jpg

Man, I'm getting a bit tired of all these uneconomically long, single-toned films with characters/dialogue so flat/'realistic' you'd think you were watching raw documentary footage. They used to make movies!

It's a perfectly fine film, I'm just a little weary of it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

While I have sold stuff (almost all of my VHSes, for example), I've kept an extensive library of other physical media.  I've had to resort to breaking them down though, they're too much otherwise, so I get why some would declutter.

That said, my comic collection still overshadows it from a sheer how much space it takes up.  >.<

Unfortunately, I don't really trust streaming to provide something when I want it, and even though physical media has its perils (disc rot, etc) I'd rather risk that than playing hunt the show on through the streaming channels.  And the more obscure stuff, they won't have anyhow.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Prophecy 3 (2000) - The angel civil war intensifies. It's nearly impossible to talk about the plot without spoilers so I'll get everything else out of the way first. This is easily the weakest of the 3 movies, but if you've seen the first 2 then you might as well see how it ends... Well, there are Prophecy movies after this, but... Oof. You know what, forget I said that last part, it ends here. Do yourself a favor and just stop after this one.

There's a significant dropoff in acting here compared to the first 2. Christopher Walken is still delightful, he always is, and there are some other solid actors, most notably Steve Hytner, but the 2 main characters are... They're not completely terrible, but... It's especially apparent when they're in a scene with Christopher Walken, the chasm in acting skill is rather wide. The ending devolves into schlock, but doesn't go far enough to make it really fun goofy schlock.

The Nephilim is all grown up, but he doesn't know he's a Nephilim at first. Zophael is hunting him to kill him and prevent him from stopping Pyriel from genociding humanity. Gabriel, previously the main heel, has his face turn here, and I'll give them credit for waiting until movie 3 for the face turn, since that typically spells doom for the series going forward. Ahnuld had his face turn in Terminator 2 and the series went to complete 💩 after that. Same here, but at least they waited one more movie.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Thank goodness for digitization: a single $200 14 TB hard drive can fit about 350 full blu-ray dumps (or about 1800 DVDs...and the numbers get even better if you don't have to keep the full disc dumps). Honestly, who has the time, space, or desire to manage all that except in a virtual environment? That path lies to madness.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

When it comea to keeping copies I'd probably lean towards what @Bartimaeus does and keep things stored in a big honking hard drive instead of trying to catalog stuff on discs. Indeed that would lead to madness, but also goddamn tedium. I don't have much but I guess I should get started.

Streaming has absolutely failed at curation, there's a substantial amount of films that you simply can not legally get access to via streaming or digital rentals while what's there is being divided into increasingly smaller walled off gardens with mediocre content sludge covering up everything. 

Anyways....

Johnny Guitar (1954)

A psychosexual drama that takes place in a dream of the west or a generic 50's western. I can see it either way tbh.

Near Dark (1987)

An action-packed vampire biker western. It's good for what it is, but like Aliens sacrificed horror for action which isn't quite to my tastes.

Lair of the White Worm (1988)

Incredible. Definitely a step up in terms of horror compared to Near Dark and more genuinely wild than Crimes of Passion.

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

It's a nice slice of life for a struggling musician who's definitely an ****. There's more than a few times I did a giant belly laugh.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The Blue Sky Maiden (1957).

The_Blue_Sky_Maiden-167211814-large.jpg

I waited just a little under three years to watch this. Japanese cinema continues to be an impenetrable enigma to me, but I guess it was okay - a kind of coming of age story about a young woman from a small town trying to find her lost birth mother while being looked down upon by her relatives in Tokyo.

Tetsuo the Iron Man (1989).

MV5BZjliNTE3OGMtY2FjOC00NTQ0LTkwMzMtYjk2

This is the type of film where you watch the whole thing, you go to read the plot summary on Wikipedia to try to figure out what happened, but then Wikipedia says all they've got is some notes from the director because only he would ever be able to really know what it's about. So I didn't understand it one bit, but it was probably one of the funniest films I've ever seen while also having a great industrial soundtrack and incredibly unique visuals...and if I had exactly one film to recommend to @PK htiw klaw eriF for the rest of my life, it'd have to be this one. No way you're ever getting more Kaine Parker than Tetsuo the Iron Man. Plus, it's only an hour long.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1

I saw Tetsuo: The Iron Man in 1992 when it got its US release and went through the independent film circuit.  There's nothing really like it; I seem to recall the sequel Tetsuo II: Body Hammer (which I saw a few years later, not 100% what year) having more a plot rather than sort of the fever dream / nightmare quality of the original but wasn't quite as good.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

No way you're ever getting more Kaine Parker than Tetsuo the Iron Man.

While I love Tetsuo the Iron Man I'd have to say that within the realm of Japanese cinema I'd probably rate Death by Hanging, Wild Zero, and Occult Bolshevism as in a similar lane of KP movies.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Inferno (1980)

A visually stunning giallo with a great operatic rock track that nevertheless left me feeling unsatisfied. It just doesn't really hold up if you compare it to Suspira, which is in all ways I can think of a better film. Still, it's worth a watch simply for the visual experience and that one track really makes me feel like I had a dream of a horror film. 

But since it was a great looking film with at least one incredible track...........

Tetsuo the Iron Man (1989) Rewatch

This is like if someone made a feature length music video to accompany a very grimy industrial and I mean that completely complimentary. It's an incredible ride that is just so absurd you can't help but laugh hysterically. I have listened to a track from the soundtrack at least once a day since I watched it a few days ago. Thanks for reminding me of this @Bartimaeus 

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

I had forgotten this movie existed tbh.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I think it is going to be a movie and can't wait to not see it!

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

23 minutes ago, majestic said:

I think it is going to be a movie and can't wait to not see it!

but surly you need to watch every superhero movie their is if you want to be involved in these debates ?

38 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Me personally, I loved seeing The Nerd Crew again. I think it's very cool that even though they no longer have embarrassing Star Wars movies to make fun of... Until the next embarrassing Star Wars movie, they can still make fun of embarrassing comic book movies, though. Too bad they're not a vidya game podcast, then they could make fun of the embarrassing comic book live service vidya game that just came out.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Blade Runner 2049 (2017).

I had a pretty tough go with this film the first time around years ago, but I liked it a bit more this second watch. It's still too long, too sterile, too Villeneuve, but as far as kind of unnecessary sequels go, I guess it got the job done alright.

I shouldn't re-watch movies I didn't like the first time, because sometimes I have to re-evaluate what I previously thought and experienced, and then sometimes I have to take back the nasty things I said about them. I don't like that. Nasty things should stay true forever.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Blade Runner 2049 (2017).

I had a pretty tough go with this film the first time around years ago, but I liked it a bit more this second watch. It's still too long, too sterile, too Villeneuve, but as far as kind of unnecessary sequels go, I guess it got the job done alright.

I shouldn't re-watch movies I didn't like the first time, because sometimes I have to re-evaluate what I previously thought and experienced, and then sometimes I have to take back the nasty things I said about them. I don't like that. Nasty things should stay true forever.

I definitely got the same feeling about it being sterile, but I though that it worked for this movie/story. Did you watch the in between shorts (they are on youtube)?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP