The TV and Streaming Thread: US Writers/Actors Strike Edition

Raithe

18 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Can it be worse than the movie?

At this point any "can it be worse" question can immediately be answered with a yes.

I didn't watch the trailer and have no opinions on the show.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm sure I've watched some stuff over the last month or two but most of it slips my mind. Here's the stuff I remembered.

Dave Chapelle and Ricky Gervais stand-ups - These are probably the worst I've seen from either comedian.

Iron Chef America - My son is addicted to this show but it's funny how Hulu doesn't show any Mario Batali episodes. I get that he's a sex pest but my wife likes Italian food and I'm looking for ideas. I'm a monster, I know... he typed while listening to the Thriller album.

e: We watched part 3 of Lupin as well and might start Echo next

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

40 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Iron Chef America - My son is addicted to this show but it's funny how Hulu doesn't show any Mario Batali episodes. I get that he's a sex pest but my wife likes Italian food and I'm looking for ideas. I'm a monster, I know... he typed while listening to the Thriller album.

Wait, really? Did they just pull all of the episodes and/or did ge get kicked off the show?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm pretty sure that the show ended or he was off before the allegations came out and he lost pretty much everything. He's still in the intros but every episode featuring him has been removed.

Edited by ShadySands

43 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

but my wife likes Italian food and I'm looking for ideas.

am not a fan o' this guy's showmanship, and for some reason his voice is like nails on the chalkboard for us, but in spite o' those negatives, he does an excellent job o' presenting legit Italian dishes in a manner which is not difficult to replicate.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 8:38 PM, ShadySands said:

Dave Chapelle and Ricky Gervais stand-ups - These are probably the worst I've seen from either comedian.

I don't think I've ever watched one from Ricky that was funny to me, but for Dave everything after his first two specials, ie. the famous brake, went straight downhill. As soon as he got buff and started going for the cool vibe he immediately stopped being funny to me, also he started shoehorning some kind of message in to his bits and that also struck me as preachy. In my opinion you can't be cool and funny at the same time. I would guess that he didn't like people laughing at him instead of his bits. At this point I don't know why I even keep trying to watch the new stuff.

The last comedy special I liked was the newest one from Burt Kreischer.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 1/25/2024 at 2:23 PM, ShadySands said:

I'm pretty sure that the show ended or he was off before the allegations came out and he lost pretty much everything. He's still in the intros but every episode featuring him has been removed.

Huh. I can certainly see why and don't think that he deserves defending, but it seems like a cop out to erase him. Like they'd rather pretend they didn't hang out with him, and some could say enabled him, for years instead of owning up to it.

Anyways if you're looking for reciepes Not Another Cooking Show on YouTube has good Italian(-American) stuff that hits pretty well. The authentic Italian guys, besides the pizza dude, are just off-putting to me in various ways that makes them hard to watch even if their recipes are solid.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:01 AM, melkathi said:

Video is not available.

Let out a wet leopard growl and count yourself lucky.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:12 AM, Sarex said:

In my opinion you can't be cool and funny at the same time.

David Lynch begs to differ

david-lynch-cow.jpg

I think Chappelle's head is too far up his own ass to be really funny, he's bought into his own hype as a genius dropping profound wisdom that he just can't really pull off the self-depreciation needed to laugh at himself. So he builds his specials around trying to be this guru who will enlighten you with whatever weird hill a 50+ millionaire wants to die on and that's just boring as ****. The funniest thing he's done in years was bringing Elon Musk onstage to get booed by 10000 people and that was completely unintentional on his part.

I enjoyed some stuff from Gianmarco Soresi recently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Italian(-American) stuff that hits pretty well. The authentic Italian guys, besides the pizza dude, are just off-putting to me in various ways that makes them hard to watch even if their recipes are solid

There's a comedian I feel the same about even though this is the food part of the post. Sebastian something or other I think. Something about him I find off putting and can't get past to actually experience the comedy.

The guy who takes his shirt off is the same for me. I can't get over my initial disgust.

• Haha 1

I don't think I'm built for stand up specials. I'm looking for a 5-10 minute set. An hour is too long.

This is the best stuff though. Bit of language, spoiler:

Spoiler

Edited by Hurlshort

12 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I think Chappelle's head is too far up his own ass to be really funny, he's bought into his own hype as a genius dropping profound wisdom that he just can't really pull off the self-depreciation needed to laugh at himself. So he builds his specials around trying to be this guru who will enlighten you with whatever weird hill a 50+ millionaire wants to die on and that's just boring as ****. The funniest thing he's done in years was bringing Elon Musk onstage to get booed by 10000 people and that was completely unintentional on his part.

And if that would stand on it's own maybe you could even find the stuff interesting, but when you compare it to what he did before it's such a stark contrast that it instantly puts you off.

10 hours ago, ShadySands said:

The guy who takes his shirt off is the same for me. I can't get over my initial disgust.

Yeah, that can be a deal breaker, although he recently got buff so he wants to maybe stop doing because it would not be funny anymore.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

finally got around to watching a bit of foundation.

the show rather unceremoniously flushed assimov's three laws of robotics. the whole point o' finding the zeronth law is 'cause the three laws is inviolable.

perhaps is more o' the three guidelines o' robotics?

thus ends our current viewing o' foundation.

maybe the show is able to stand on its own w/o being beholden to assimov's writings, but am gonna wait 'til this one is over before trying to watch it again. maybe.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

Whos the guy with the gun?

Bishop.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

He's back but just on Mondays. The rest of the week has the correspondents hosting the show. 

According to Roy Wood Jr, a former correspondent, Hasan Minhaj was going to be the new host until that article came out about him.

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

He's back but just on Mondays. The rest of the week has the correspondents hosting the show. 

According to Roy Wood Jr, a former correspondent, Hasan Minhaj was going to be the new host until that article came out about him.

Yeah, I mentioned it undercut his credibility, which is a shame. Comedians are storytellers, not journalists. That being said, the Daily Show has always required a mix of both.

---That Patrick Stewart ad was really weird. >.> Man he looks really old now. He was 48ish when ST:TNG began I think, so he's early/mid 80's now? Time marches. 😩
---That John Stewart video was great, thanks.

Re: what I assume was also a superbowl ad, I liked the Arnold and Danny one better. Poking fun at himself plus at the end it was sort of like a Twins reunion, of a sorts.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

First two seasons of Resident Alien is on Netflix now. I guess there's a 3rd season still airing.
I remember seeing the first episode when syfy posted it on YT and thinking it was weird/quirky/funny, + I'm a fan of Alan Tudyk. But I don't have SyFy.

Rewatching the first episode, it didn't seem quite as funny as I remembered, but it was still kinda cool. It became less and less interesting after a few episodes. One of those shows that it feels like I should like but it doesn't quite pull it off. Ah well.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

14 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

First two seasons of Resident Alien is on Netflix now. I guess there's a 3rd season still airing.
I remember seeing the first episode when syfy posted it on YT and thinking it was weird/quirky/funny, + I'm a fan of Alan Tudyk. But I don't have SyFy.

Rewatching the first episode, it didn't seem quite as funny as I remembered, but it was still kinda cool. It became less and less interesting after a few episodes. One of those shows that it feels like I should like but it doesn't quite pull it off. Ah well.

The 3rd season just kicked off last week, with Linda Hamilton as a US General, and Enver Gjokaj as the new Grey threat...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."