Randommer/Interestinglier/Weirder - now more of everything for the same low price!

Sarex

cnn article only brief mentions the artemis accords which is unfortunate.

am knowing musk has been talking 'bout mars, but lunar south pole exploration is kinda the next big thing; the US plan for a manned mars trip always assumed an initial return to the moon at the lunar south pole. the presence o' frozen water in perpetual shadowed craters at the moon's south pole is a hoped for discovery and the discovery o' mineable water in meaningful quantities would make some kinda lunar outpost far more practical in the future.

so, with the india rover soon to get underway, we got our fingers crossed and am hoping for news o' billions years old comet residue to be discovered by india in the dusty surface o' some nameless lunar crater, locked away in unfathomable darkness which has endured since long before humans or even dinosaurs evolved... and thanks to the artemis accords, news and tech support for the endeavor is gonna be shared 'mongst many cooperating nations. 

congrats and good luck to india. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://theintercept.com/2023/08/25/nsa-spy-dignity-respect/

“In recognition that SIGINT activities must take into account that all persons should be treated with dignity and respect, regardless of their nationality or wherever they might reside,” says the previously unreported directive, which was issued by NSA Director Gen. Paul Nakasone. "

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I would worry about my bicycle exploding shortly after start 😝

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hasan Minhaj’s “Emotional Truths”

things that make you go, "hmmmm."

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

10 hours ago, Gromnir said:

Hasan Minhaj’s “Emotional Truths”

things that make you go, "hmmmm."

HA! Good Fun!

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. :p

I  understand that standup is not a personal memoir and most stories are manipulated to have the desired effect, but I can also see where this is going to create credibility issues with hosting something like the Daily Show. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sarex said:

My employer is going to start running a new combination soon, it's not as impressive as the land trains, but fullsized truck with container pulling a dolly with a link followed by a trailer. The bottom combination.

1632835886187.jpeg

I doubt many drivers are happy about this, but they have nothing to complain about since they're not the people that are going to have to finagle this combination together, that's my job. I get a headache thinking about how much work it's going to be, I ****ing hate links.

We're not pulling 98 tonnes though, since parcels aren't that compact or heavy generally speaking.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

22 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

My employer is going to start running a new combination soon, it's not as impressive as the land trains, but fullsized truck with container pulling a dolly with a link followed by a trailer. The bottom combination.

1632835886187.jpeg

I doubt many drivers are happy about this, but they have nothing to complain about since they're not the people that are going to have to finagle this combination together, that's my job. I get a headache thinking about how much work it's going to be, I ****ing hate links.

We're not pulling 98 tonnes though, since parcels aren't that compact or heavy generally speaking.

How does that work in a populated area though?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

38 minutes ago, Sarex said:

How does that work in a populated area though?

It's for transfers between terminals, i.e. from Gothenburg to Stockholm, Malmö, Örebro, Jönköping and such. So mainly it's for highways, though there are a few roundabouts to navigate, but as far as I know they have been rebuilt recently to allow longer vehicles to cut through the center part a bit.

Like this

Edited by Azdeus
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I don't even have a doubles/triples endorsement. It's easy enough to get and it's a one-time deal not like hazmat which you have to renew every 5 years, but I don't want it because I have no desire to pull doubles or triples ever.

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Why the facepalm?

Because yet another construction endeavor bites the dust because of randos making it too expensive to bother with it:

The project faced opposition from local landowners, who expressed concerns about safety and property seizures, and some environmentalists who describe CO2 pipelines as dangerous and a way to prop up the fossil fuels industry, which already has a network of such infrastructure.

On 10/11/2023 at 10:10 AM, Gfted1 said:

@Keyrock Afaik, hazmat (and car carriers) earns extra pay for the driver. What about double/triple endorsements?

In theory, yes. Whether it's extra enough is another matter entirely. As an aside, you also typically get paid more for pulling flatbeds, but it's not enough of a premium IMHO. With flatbeds you need to tarp the load yourself. This time of year it's not that big of a deal, but let's say you're in Laredo, Texas in July. It's 1:35 pm central time and your trailer just got finished getting loaded. It's 114°F and you need to tarp your load with those giant and heavy as **** tarps. Yeah, I'm gonna pass on that. 

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks