Random video game news... the critical eyes have it

I so far have zero interest in Starfield. After Morrowind (and even Morrowind I wasn't into the story aspect at all), nothing else I've tried has connected at all (well, except that FO:4 doggo) and I pretty much gave up that any Bethesda developed game will ever truly be my thing.

...but if it ever goes on deep sale, and by then very patched up plus lots of mods, maybe I'll take a look one day.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Anyone seen this? I can't decide if it is something I'd like to play or not:

Yeah, curious to see more. I am not 100% what it is. Looks like time loop/Bioshock but apparently it is an RPG. I am pretty sure it's going to be First Person though

Edited by Wormerine

5 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Yeah, curious to see more. I am not 100% what it is. Looks like time loop/Bioshock but apparently it is an RPG. I am pretty sure it's going to be First Person though

Yes it is first-person, and because it is inXile I would imagine there's no chance of a third-person option.

Also, time travel as a concept really bugs me in all forms of entertainment. If it is possible to go back in time and change anything and everything, is anything real? Does anything matter?

4 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Also, time travel as a concept really bugs me in all forms of entertainment. If it is possible to go back in time and change anything and everything, is anything real? Does anything matter?

Well, of course, any good time traveling story works with closed loops. In an interactive medium time traveling could allow for some neat cause and effect scenarios, assuming the player will actually have any agency. Dishonored2 and Titanfall2 had a very effective time traveling levels where you could hop between two different time periods at will.

As far as story goes, I am not too concerned about it in an inXile game - I enjoyed their titles, but I didn't get particularly invested in their narratives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Anyone seen this? I can't decide if it is something I'd like to play or not:

I can't tell you if you will want to play it or not, but I can tell you that I'm definitely interested. It looks an awful lot like Bioshock, I'm talking dangerously close to copyright infringement. I enjoyed Bioshock and I typically enjoy InXile's games. The idea of a Bioshock-ish RPG sounds good to me. I'm already more interested in this than I am in Avowed.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

and

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

14 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I can't tell you if you will want to play it or not, but I can tell you that I'm definitely interested. It looks an awful lot like Bioshock, I'm talking dangerously close to copyright infringement. I enjoyed Bioshock and I typically enjoy InXile's games. The idea of a Bioshock-ish RPG sounds good to me. I'm already more interested in this than I am in Avowed.

Maybe of interest to you:

https://gamerant.com/bioshock-infinite-similarities-clockwork-revolution-trailer-brian-fargo/

https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-responds-to-clockwork-revolution-bioshock-infinite-similarities

• Like 1

ps the lamplighters league release is listed as october 3, 2023.

pre-order is available via steam.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

38 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

ps the lamplighters league release is listed as october 3, 2023.

pre-order is available via steam.

HA! Good Fun!

I know the story is completely unrelated, but the visuals and presentation somehow gives me "Indiana Jones" vibes (the original movie). Colour me curious 🤔

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

30 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I know the story is completely unrelated, but the visuals and presentation somehow gives me "Indiana Jones" vibes (the original movie). Colour me curious 🤔

you are not alone re: indiana jones.

our first post 'bout the lamplighters league

we will observe the game is leaning hard into elements o' cthulhu mythology, so given the overall aesthetic o' lamplighters, perhaps add in hellboy as inspiration?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

Worst part is, I'm completely turned off by space ships with big front windows now. The Expanse made me fall in love with submarine-style space ships and everything else just feels so science fantasy to me now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

Worst part is, I'm completely turned off by space ships with big front windows now. The Expanse made me fall in love with submarine-style space ships and everything else just feels so science fantasy to me now.

Darn, now they will need another 600mil to redo the whole thing.

• Haha 2

Star Citizen is a jobs program.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 hours ago, Lexx said:

the jousting style space combat always make the most sense in most scifi setting

it is amazing how star citizen can find new audience to scam after so many years

most people doesn't even waste time to mock this game anymore

how does the new victim even find out this thing exist

https://www.gamingbible.com/news/starfield-new-atlantis-biggest-city-bethesda-ever-made-821858-20230612

The main city in Starfield, Atlantis, is the biggest city Bethesda ever created 🥂

With the 1000 planets and cities like this Starfield is going to be a Modders paradise 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I wonder if modders will be able to add planets.

Also, are those 1000 planets procedurally generated or where they generated then populated by hand with stuff?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).