Youtube recommendations, let's beat the algorithm

Sarex

It's looking like this is the last season of Monument Mythos.

On the one hand, I'll be sad to see it go. On the other hand, everything has to end at some point and ending it while it's still great and moving on to something else is probably better than dragging it out for too long and letting it devolve into tired trash. I'll be interested to see what Mister Manticore comes up with next.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I was enjoying it up until like ten minutes in, and then he spent like a solid five minutes straight talking about the length of a ship and shuttle bay, and I was like "wait a second, oh gosh, is he actually doing the Star Wars idiot fan boy thing where they spend hours analyzing inane technical details that were just arbitrarily made up by the filmmakers, as if they're actually important?". Then I skipped ahead to a random part about pod racing and he was talking at length about aerodynamics and that's when I closed the video. I'm sure there's some decent structure/character/motivations/plot commentary in between the technical stuff that doesn't matter an iota...but he had me, and then he lost me.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I was enjoying it up until like ten minutes in, and then he spent like a solid five minutes straight talking about the length of a ship and shuttle bay, and I was like "wait a second, oh gosh, is he actually doing the Star Wars idiot fan boy thing where they spend hours analyzing inane technical details that were just arbitrarily made up by the filmmakers, as if they're actually important?". Then I skipped ahead to a random part about pod racing and he was talking at length about aerodynamics and that's when I closed the video. I'm sure there's some decent structure/character/motivations/plot commentary in between the technical stuff that doesn't matter an iota...but he had me, and then he lost me.

I'm not sure there could be 12 hours of material otherwise.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

7 hours ago, Sarex said:

Who is brave enough?

Mr. Plinkett made his 70 minute Phantom Menace analysis palatable by having a hooker tied up in his basement. I'm assuming there are at least 10 hookers tied up in the basement of whoever made this video.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

28 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I'm not sure there could be 12 hours of material otherwise.

am s'posing you have never taken a graduate course. spend more than twelve hours on a chapter from gravity's rainbow is hardly out o' the norm... and is not just 'cause pynchon's work is so much more complex. is hardly outliers neither. one case study on the development o' saturn auto. one film by orson welles. one scene from a shakespeare tragedy. 

is not a matter o' quality neither. phantom menace got a large cast o' divisive characters, and lucas can't help self but do significant and trivial homage to past films, so is hardly a shortage o' material for film geeks to obsess 'bout.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That SW video popped up in my feed the other day and I clicked on it expected a meme joke or something.

I did find it kind of interesting to listen to for about 30 minutes, mostly in that kind of fascinated with how far fans will over-examine any shred of "lore" way - but I don't think I could stomach 12 hours. If one was into that kind of extreme lore/scene examination for SW, it seemed edited in such a way that it might keep one's attention. The narrator voice is a bit weird tho - AI voice I'm guessing?

eg, imo the best thing about that video is the title joke re: length. Well, that an admiration re: the dedication required to make such a thing. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I watched the entire 12 hours on a side monitor over a few days, it was kind of enjoyable, but I'm the kind of nerd that noticed Rand and Mat entering Tar Valon from the wrong direction, so. It's a shame there are a few editing errors where it hitches up and repeats a few seconds where he spliced the episodes, but I can live with it. Might give it a second watch for good measure :p

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

22 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I watched the entire 12 hours on a side monitor over a few days, it was kind of enjoyable...

based on @Bartimaeus description, am guessing we would prefer french kissing a light socket or gargling with broken glass as 'posed to enduring twelve hours on what sounds like analysis o' nothing. 

maybe @Azdeus is a fan o' the ludovico technique?

different strokes.

example: ethics in america

have mentioned previous the ethics in america series. more than ten hours and am not expecting many would enjoy the way we do. am thinking it would be interesting to do a 2024 version 'cause while ethics has remained same for many disciplines since 1989, there is a few startling differences. 

HA! Good Fun! 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

55 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

based on @Bartimaeus description, am guessing we would prefer french kissing a light socket or gargling with broken glass as 'posed to enduring twelve hours on what sounds like analysis o' nothing. 

maybe @Azdeus is a fan o' the ludovico technique?

different strokes.

example: ethics in america

have mentioned previous the ethics in america series. more than ten hours and am not expecting many would enjoy the way we do. am thinking it would be interesting to do a 2024 version 'cause while ethics has remained same for many disciplines since 1989, there is a few startling differences. 

HA! Good Fun! 

Well, if you like Star Wars media, it's not torturous atleast 😄

It was kind of fun to hear him go off on tangents on different jet engine designs and things like that, I appreciate how far he goes!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

13 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

It was kind of fun to hear him go off on tangents on different jet engine designs and things like that, I appreciate how far he goes!

that is the stuff am certain we couldn't endure. star trek (am not having seen any trek since first episode o' discovery, so, am not certain o' the current status quo) at least tried to work real science and a smidge o' practical engineering into their designs and storylines. trek were often the first place non stem background folks mighta heard o' wormholes, dark matter and string theory when those episodes first were released. yeah, star trek took liberties, particular with transporter and holodeck technologies, but we understand folks discussing the science and tech behind trek, 'cause the science were often integral to the show.

star wars, on the other hand...

star wars was fantasy. lucas purposeful embraced elements o' joseph campbell's hero cycle to create what were having common thematic and plot elements o' the oldest stories ever told. setting were long ago and in a galaxy far, far away-- spaceships, laser guns and all the sci-fi trappings were indulged, yes?  sci-fi were only surface. star wars included a dark knight and a merlin/gandalf figure as well as magic swords. first movie climax is the young hero slaying the dragon. is gawain, gilgamesh, and odysseus as 'posed to daneel olivaw, david bowman or valentine michael smith. 

aerodynamics o' pod racers? serious?  

bootstrapping real world physics and engineering into star wars feels just a bit silly. kinda reminds us o' the legion o' internet pundits who are serious when they try and explain the physics behind the ninja run.

and y'know there is more than one obsidan poster who is an advocate o' the naruto run.

but again, different strokes.

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"this is a video about how vegetarians ruined sex for everybody."

more than an hour, but the history o' american vegetarians is a bit more weird and complex than we were aware. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

did ytube had another update that make everything worse

why does this keep happening

Update your ad filters.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Update your ad filters.

not just more lag

but the thumbnail on home page become bigger now only show 4 at the same time

comment display become ridiculously narrow

ui just getting worse overall

He really likes The Batman. I didn't even know what The Batman was until he mentioned it like a hundred times and I had to go see that it was apparently a 2022 reboot. I'm sure I knew that at some point, but it must have left my brain sometime within the last two years.

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:43 PM, Gromnir said:

am s'posing you have never taken a graduate course. spend more than twelve hours on a chapter from gravity's rainbow is hardly out o' the norm... and is not just 'cause pynchon's work is so much more complex.

I have actually written a paper on one single poem by e e cummings, so yes, you're totally right. cummings, of course, is mostly complex only in the linguistic sense, whereas Pynchon's complexity is more in the content. Btw, I still haven't read either Mason & Dixon or Against the Day. In case you have, are they worth it? (Both Lot 49 and Gravity's are superb pieces of literature.)

As for Star Wars, I believe everything that's come after Empire Strikes Back is rubbish, even in its own genre, and watching it was a waste of time. I stopped watching at the film where Han Solo died.

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

As for Star Wars, I believe everything that's come after Empire Strikes Back is rubbish, even in its own genre, and watching it was a waste of time. I stopped watching at the film where Han Solo died.

The Last Jedi, the middle part of the new trilogy, is an interesting comparison to The Empire Strikes back. They are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, one is easily the best Star Wars movie made to date, and a really good film too, while The Last Jedi makes a good case for being the worst Star Wars movie, and it is a terrible film: it has a collection of writing gaffes so jarring that they are breaking suspension of disbelief even in sci-fi as soft as Star Wars, and one scene in particular that was such a bad idea that it retroactively all but ruins the preceeding movies.

• Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

9 hours ago, majestic said:

The Last Jedi, the middle part of the new trilogy, is an interesting comparison to The Empire Strikes back. They are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, one is easily the best Star Wars movie made to date, and a really good film too, while The Last Jedi makes a good case for being the worst Star Wars movie, and it is a terrible film: it has a collection of writing gaffes so jarring that they are breaking suspension of disbelief even in sci-fi as soft as Star Wars, and one scene in particular that was such a bad idea that it retroactively all but ruins the preceeding movies.

Please tell me what this scene is, in spoiler tags if you want. I'm not going to watch the movies anyway.

I do know that in one of them, the emperor is brought back, which is a huge shame: it retroactively renders previous key scenes meaningless. What a waste. Also, I believe Boba Fett also escapes his personal vagina dentata in some spinoff story, which, again, is such a shame.

2 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Please tell me what this scene is, in spoiler tags if you want. I'm not going to watch the movies anyway.

I do know that in one of them, the emperor is brought back, which is a huge shame: it retroactively renders previous key scenes meaningless. What a waste. Also, I believe Boba Fett also escapes his personal vagina dentata in some spinoff story, which, again, is such a shame.

It is hard to do it proper justice in words, and it is only a short scene (also, the linked video is time coded to the relevant part):

A perfect showcase for why it is generally accepted to not weaponize faster than light travel, or at least come up with some countermeasures, in soft science fiction. It renders everything meaningless, and you can tell from the look on Leia's face as it dawns on her just how many lives the Rebellion wasted in attacking two Death Stars conventionally. Or, to follow the train of thought, one has to wonder why the Empire built the Death Star in the first place, if all you need is to strap a hyperdrive to an asteroid to destroy planets. Rise of Skywalker features a scene where Merriadoc Brandybuck (okay, it just is a cameo by Dominic Monaghan, but it could be Merriadoc, and it would not be the silliest thing to happen in Rise of Skywalker) shows up to ask why they are even bothering to prepare an attack if they just could execute another Holdo maneuver (Holdo is Laura Dern's character in The Last Jedi). It is glossed over by stating that it was a one in a million chance to land the hit. It was worth a laugh at least.

Disney's Star Wars is very big on breaking established rules in order to have "cool" scenes in their movies and series. This one is just the most egregious one, followed right up by making Vader's change of heart at the end of Return of the Jedi meaningless because Palpatine is still alive and well, but it does not stop there - there is a scene in Rogue One, for instance, where a hyperspace jump is done directly through an oncoming blast wave, while still in the atmosphere of the planet. Made me immediately think back to our heroes' escape from Tatooine in the first Star Wars film, and what a loser Han Solo must be for first clearing the planet, and talking about how hyperspace jumps need to be precisely calculated lest something bad happens.

The most damning thing about these? Basic writing 101 that should set professional writers apart from creators of fan fiction, and as far as these films go, we are not even talking about the terrible acting and the flat, boring characters yet, the cringeworthy dialogue or the lack of any proper setup and pay off in the trilogy, except for one scene at the end of The Rise of Skywalker where Rey and Kylo Ren teleport a lightsaber between them.

Edited by majestic
hero's -> heroes' - 'twas more than one hero, after all... even if one was a rogue and all that :p
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.