The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Re-reruns (it's always summer somewhere)

majestic

2 hours ago, majestic said:

The episodes are only good when you check your brain out at the door, because the moment you start thinking about some of the things you see, it all pretty much falls apart.

Reveal hidden contents

Why, for instance, is using a cloaking device breaking treaties? The Romulan Empire no longer exists in this universe, rendering the agreement moot. Why are they going to gather the entire fleet for Fleet Day(tm)? How is that even possible with Federation space being so large?

Why is the Federation keeping most of its super secret technology in a vault that is well known (Daystrom Institute isn't a black site, for crying out loud) and in space, with absolutely no space defense grid and patrols check in once an hour? What the hell guys, any dolt can assault that willy nilly, as evidenced by the theft and Picard and Vadic just showing up there.

Then there's this whole fake warp trail nonsense after we've been shown that Starfleet had the ability to track its ships decades ago. Man, like, what?

Spoiler

The only treaty I remember was the Romulan one. Did it ever involve Klingons? Probably not.

Daystrom is pathetic. There are dozens of ways to make a place like that harder to invade. And yet it happened twice in a short time.:facepalm:

sign.jpg

The Treaty of Algeron only banned Fed cloaks, it's why the Defiant has a Romulan cloaking device. I can't speak to the stuff that nuTrek has changed.

Anyways, finished a second viewing of Strange New Worlds because my wife wanted to watch it. She liked it much the same as I did but had a lot of similar complaints and didn't care for the last 2 episodes at all. The second time around all I could think about during most episodes is how older shows tackled the same/similar issues and story beats better.

We also started the Male DeLorean season 3

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

The Treaty of Algeron only banned Fed cloaks, it's why the Defiant has a Romulan cloaking device. I can't speak to the stuff that nuTrek has changed.

nuTrek went with keeping Jar Jar Abram's Star Trek 2009's opening events, meaning the Romulan Star Empire was more or less destroyed, and they're galactic refugees now*. Never mind how utterly dumb the idea was in the first place, it is what it is. They install a cloaking device from a Klingon Bird of Prey on the USS Titan, and Geordi is all like: "Do you have any idea how many treaties you're violating?"

Yes, indeed. One irrelevant one. I mean technically the Romulan Free State is still around and the Federation mantains that treaty, but, uhm... it really is whatever at this point.

*Unless they need to be a threat, in which case the Romulans can muster an enormous fleet out of nowhere to face off Picard at the end of the first season. They couldn't ferry their own refugees or evacuate Romulus properly with the thousands and thousands of ships they have, but hey... :deadhorse:

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

We also started the Male DeLorean season 3

Condolences are in order, I think. Have "fun". :p

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

C-romance-drama - The Oath of Love (ugh, that title...): medical crisis/romantic melodrama, sometimes funny, sometimes touching, typical rom. chr. tropes, the lead's parents arc was almost the better chr/story.  Mostly, it was good for lazy chair/bed tablet-screen consumption. Typical C-drama where best-friend secondary chrs. get almost as much (very separated) screentime/story as the leads, which in this one I largely FFWD thru because they were boring/who cares. Thus 29 episodes is more like 14, that way. 😛 Main story, 7/10, the rest, didn't care.

Next up: K-drama, crime/thriller/vigilante, Taxi Driver. Main lead is Lee Je Hoon, who was fantastic in 2016's Signal (a sci-fi element, crime/thriller), so I must check it out. If I like it, it has two seasons (2nd season is ongoing?). I'll watch this one on the big TV.

Still re-watching: The Mentalist - somewhere in mid-season 2 by now, keep getting distracted tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

15 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Taxi Driver.

Two episodes watched. Looks like it's going to be a more "episodic" show, with a main thread but different stories most episodes. The premise of vigilante "taxi" service that helps crime victims in a sort of undercover team operation fashion is a little absurd perhaps but it's well acted/heart wrenching at times. I believe most of the crimes in the show are "inspired" by real crimes from S. Korea. The episodes are more in the 60-65 minute range vs. 45-50.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Started watching that one last year. Made it to 5 or 6 episodes, I think. Thought it was very.. cliche and somewhat cringe. I'd rather keep watching k-piano dramas.

• Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

13 hours ago, Lexx said:

Started watching that one last year. Made it to 5 or 6 episodes, I think. Thought it was very.. cliche and somewhat cringe. I'd rather keep watching k-piano dramas.

I finished episode 4 and maybe 1/3 of the fifth. I guess it's actually going to be two episodes per crime/story.
The bullying story gave me mixed feelings because on the one hand, the cliched stuff reminded me of some older (cheestastic/better) highschool-rom kdramas in small bits. But on the other hand, I was expecting serial killer, murder etc. vigilante crime and it felt a bit forced/head scratching. I also began to realize I didn't care all that much for the strange broken up pacing the show is doing. I love the lead actor playing all these roles, but I probably won't continue either. Oh well. There are some good ones here and there but episodic crime/sci-fi isn't yet S. Korea's forte.

Maybe I'll check out Narcos for the first time, now. Probably won't be my thing but who knows.

Instead of Narcos, started watching k-drama Crash Course In Romance (what is with these cheesy titles, heh).

Jung Kyung-ho is an awesome drama actor - he's been in a lot of the more serious-side dramas lately (like Prison Playbook) but I missed him in trope-y rom-com territory. The series does indeed have some silly comedy although there's a bit too much focus on the teenage and scheming student mothers subplots for my liking so far. Anyway, seems decent starting. And at least the opening episode was totally worth it to see Jung do this:

Oh, I forgot! I rented Puss n Boots/Last wish last night, too.

Definitely leagues above that first movie. I found some of the animation style choices interesting during action bits but not always pleasing outside of action. I thought it had too many groups of chrs so loses focuses a bit here and there. But still...enjoyed it overall. And it made hubby briefly LOL a couple times (which is fairly rare for him while watching a movie), so bonus points.  😄 

The Nick Cage film meme reference did have me rolling (hubby didn't get that one but I sure did, lol ). 

Star Dreck: Pikerd

Spoiler

So, evil changeling whatsherface tells Picard the Federation voted against giving the changelings the cure for the changeling virus and that one of them had to steal it. Whatsherface then proceeds to explain how she can't possibly have returned to the great link (not in so many words, but a logical deduction from her condition), so she probably does not know it any better. Picard does not even object.

Daystrom Institute is also Section 31's headquarter. Whatever.

To paraphrase Hawkeye in Marvel's The Avengers: "You and I remember Deep Space Nine very differently."

Dear Paramount, it is pretty cool that you stopped letting Jar Jar Abrams, Kurtzman and Goldsman mess up Star Trek for this season, but can you please force future showrunners to watch the entire Star Trek canon (ideally without nuTrek) before deciding on major plot points? Or at least make characters that should know better do something else than make a sad face at the poor sob story of a changeling subjected to torturous experiments who was clearly given wrong information about major historical events?

Edit: Oh, and Picard and Beverly miss like twenty shots at point blank range. Not even Stormtroopers are that bad.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

I was home sick yesterday and watched episode 1 of Night Agent. It was terrible. But then a show called The Recruit popped up on my Netflix list, and that is about a CIA lawyer. It is really good and I am a few episodes in. So thanks Netflix algorithm, sort of?

Crash Course in Romance - finished it. Skimmed thru bits. It turned out to be less rom-com and more overall family drama with cautionary tales about how terrible it is to over-pressure students. I think they have social issues with that there, like Japan (reputedly, I don't live there) does. The romance bits were fun, the rest well-meaning but often too otp for my tastes.  Plus, like about 40% of k-drama's it tossed in a small killer side plot for tension which was not needed. >.>

Jung Kyung-ho is still awesome, tho.

6 hours ago, majestic said:

Dear Paramount, it is pretty cool that you stopped letting Jar Jar Abrams, Kurtzman and Goldsman mess up Star Trek for this season, but can you please force future showrunners to watch the entire Star Trek canon (ideally without nuTrek) before deciding on major plot points?

New Series Order for 'Star Trek: Starfleet Academy' Announced

Can't wait for Starfleet's History classes.

• Haha 1

sign.jpg

16 hours ago, majestic said:

Star Dreck: Pikerd

To paraphrase Hawkeye in Marvel's The Avengers: "You and I remember Deep Space Nine very differently."

Dear Paramount, it is pretty cool that you stopped letting Jar Jar Abrams, Kurtzman and Goldsman mess up Star Trek for this season, but can you please force future showrunners to watch the entire Star Trek canon (ideally without nuTrek) before deciding on major plot points? Or at least make characters that should know better do something else than make a sad face at the poor sob story of a changeling subjected to torturous experiments who was clearly given wrong information about major historical events?

Edit: Oh, and Picard and Beverly miss like twenty shots at point blank range. Not even Stormtroopers are that bad.

I haven't seen all of DS9 (local station buried it in first run in the middle of the night), so I'm not up on all of the continuity points of the series.  But Showrunner Terry Matalas is a huge Star Trek fan (like me a big ST:TMP fan at that, but has talked a good bit about TOS, TNG and DS9 as well) and he got his career start working on Voyager and Enterprise. 🤷‍♂️

• Sad 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I finally finished Reservation Dogs s2 after getting sidetracked months ago. Between this and What We Do In The Shadows, Waititi's got two great series he's produced. Maybe more, because I've heard very good things about Our Flag Means Death but haven't seen it yet.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I really want to watch Reservation Dogs, but it's only on Disney (I think), and I don't want to give them money. ;(

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I really want to watch Reservation Dogs, but it's only on Disney (I think), and I don't want to give them money. ;(

Here in the states it's on Hulu (owned by Disney yet seperate from Disney+), so we can get the joy of giving Disney money twice. Now that's freedom baby.

Edited by PK htiw klaw eriF

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

I haven't seen all of DS9 (local station buried it in first run in the middle of the night), so I'm not up on all of the continuity points of the series.  But Showrunner Terry Matalas is a huge Star Trek fan (like me a big ST:TMP fan at that, but has talked a good bit about TOS, TNG and DS9 as well) and he got his career start working on Voyager and Enterprise. 🤷‍♂️

Well, then he needs to beat up his writers. :yes:

6 minutes ago, Lexx said:

4 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Here in the states it's on Hulu (owned by Disney yet seperate from Disney+), so we can get the joy of giving Disney money twice. Now that's freedom baby.

:skull:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I pay for Hulu Live, but at least it comes with disney+ and ESPN+, so I only have to make one massive payment instead of 3 smaller payments. :p

• Haha 1