Ukraine Conflict - "There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare"

Mamoulian War

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

That was part of the intent, but really, it's more just a general warning on these kinds of threads, whose subjects obviously hit very close to home for some, simply not being a great arena for civil meetings of the minds when feelings and allegiances differ in such an inherently irresolvable manner. Saying this would seem to make me the forum's biggest hypocrite, seeing as I am pretty infamous for being the god-emperor of putting people on ignore...but I'm O.K. with that, particularly given that my criteria for putting people on ignore is a little different in that it's usually just "do I consistently dislike reading posts by this person across the forum?".

Fear is a powerful thing, but if you understand that it's the driving force behind most of the attitudes here, apart from the usual suspects, then it's not so... let's say offensive.

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I've changed my mind.

You tease. :)

8 minutes ago, Mamoulian War said:

You do understand that most of the diehard Putin followers are the people from the Russian countryside and that military is usually populated by people who are not well off financially.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

11 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Codex isnt that bad, you can ignore the political debates and there lots of members who dont engage in politics and just discuss games

I've been there for long enough to know you wrote nonsense.

13 minutes ago, Mamoulian War said:

Yeah, I'd read the stuff about casualties at the time, but even in many articles they just state it and that's it. As usual with most Russian stuff, seems very opaque from outside.  But for this kind of mobilization, the poor can go first and no one will care that much.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 minutes ago, Sarex said:

You do understand that most of the diehard Putin followers are the people from the Russian countryside and that military is usually populated by people who are not well off financially.

That is true for ethnic Russians. for the minorities, the only reason they go to war, are money, not love for Putin... And that is the reason, why they are amongst the heaviest casualties.

The last article is about ethic minorities wanting to get out from under Russian colonial boot, also due to the fact, that they are treated the worst at home and at battlefield...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

@Sarex few examples, how Russia treats human rights of ethic minorities of Russia...

7 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I've been there for long enough to know you wrote nonsense.

Yeah, I'd read the stuff about casualties at the time, but even in many articles they just state it and that's it. As usual with most Russian stuff, seems very opaque from outside.  But for this kind of mobilization, the poor can go first and no one will care that much.

Yes I know you  " active "  on Codex, you have mentioned it several times. So then you should know there are lots of people who dont discuss politics

And I dont know what you mean by nonsense, what did I say that is nonsense?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yes I know you  " active "  on Codex, you have mentioned it several times. So then you should know there are lots of people who dont discuss politics

Didn't say I was active. But okay, the culture war bull**** pervades many threads it should not, but anyway, Putin will denazify the Codex after Ukraine hopefully.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Didn't say I was active. But okay, the culture war bull**** pervades many threads it should not, but anyway, Putin will denazify the Codex after Ukraine hopefully.

The issue I have is you  are generalizing. Yes I can think of maybe 8-10 people of Codex who claim to sympathize or support Nazi ideology and I would argue most of them are attention seekers with maybe  50% of them being legitimate. And I know this because they call me a race traitor, liberal degenerate, not " white" and other terms they think matter to me or are going to offend me when I disagree with them on certain topics 

But as I mentioned before, I have had plenty of debates with people who just discuss games and other topics like TV  series or fantasy books. There are lots of people on Codex  who dislike SJWism and the woke movement but that doesnt make them racist

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Kofman's comments, fairly reasonable.  Wish he'd use Medium or something, though.

@Malcador

more on the topic of ethnicity of dead soldiers.

@Gorth Here is another video about the cost of living in Russia, its partly true and partly parody I think?

But she is a real hottie either way 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Called it.

Medvedev said in the Duma today that once the referendums are held and those territories become a part of Russia the strategic equation in the world will change because Russia will be defending Russian territory and Ukraine will be the invader. He also then added that Russia can use "all means available" to defend its own territory.

So Putin's last, desperate plan is:

Hold referenda in which 110% of the people vote to become part of Russia.

Pass laws annexing those territories.

Declare that Russia is now merely defending its own territory, and Ukraine is the invading aggressor.

Demand that Ukraine stop its invasion of Russia or else Russia will use nukes to stop the Ukrainians.

Count on the West not having the guts to follow through with its promise that Russia crossing the red line of using nukes would result in NATO being drawn into the war.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Called it.

Medvedev said in the Duma today that once the referendums are held and those territories become a part of Russia the strategic equation in the world will change because Russia will be defending Russian territory and Ukraine will be the invader. He also then added that Russia can use "all means available" to defend its own territory.

So Putin's last, desperate plan is:

Hold referenda in which 110% of the people vote to become part of Russia.

Pass laws annexing those territories.

Declare that Russia is now merely defending its own territory, and Ukraine is the invading aggressor.

Demand that Ukraine stop its invasion of Russia or else Russia will use nukes to stop the Ukrainians.

Count on the West not having the guts to follow through with its promise that Russia crossing the red line of using nukes would result in NATO being drawn into the war.

Interesting assessment, I wonder if that will happen around Putin threatening to use nukes around the Donbas and defending its  territories or would Putin call for full mobilization which I think is more likely ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

10 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

What would NATO's aim be there - expulsion of Russian troops from Ukraine ? Or further to police the use of nuclear weapons.  Probably better if it's just a separate coalition I guess, don't have to bother with it being NATO's business that way.

now the question is: Will Russia use nukes or not after obviously no-one going to back down just because those separatists announce they are now part of russia. Ukraine will not back down for sure and I doubt west will stop supplying them any time soon. Are they that deranged? I mean IF they drop nuke I am sure not even China will be backing them so to me it seems really far fetched

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I very much doubt they would use strategic nuclear weapons as there would be no point in those, apart from sending a message. Would they use tactical nuclear weapons? Who knows. If this mobilization doesn't produce results or if there is some escalation towards Russian territory maybe they will.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

If it were that easy, everyone would just announce "x is now my territory!" There would be no wars anymore, anyone could do that. I still don't believe russia would use nukes... guess we will find out soonish.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Interesting assessment, I wonder if that will happen around Putin threatening to use nukes around the Donbas and defending its  territories or would Putin call for full mobilization which I think is more likely ?

Full mobilisation is effectively today a reality. Even if it's called "partial". Because lets face it, their military infrastructure sucks and half their hardware is repossessed by Ukrainian farmers (minus the stuff at the bottom of The Black Sea)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62984985

"Mr Putin said the partial mobilisation was necessary to ensure Russian territorial integrity.

Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky said it showed Mr Putin wanted to drown Ukraine in blood - including that of his own soldiers.

The announcement applies to 300,000 military reservists."

Edit: So, a quarter of a million more men to be sent to the front (if we deduct the expected 50000 deserters)

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

22 minutes ago, pmp10 said:

At UN Biden response to Russian mobilization is making security council more 'inclusive'. 
The west just can't accept that their soft power has failed. 

Skeptical of his statement, "We have long supported and permanent seats for countries in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean.” 

Also for a chuckle - “As we manage shifting geopolitical trends, the United States will conduct itself as a reasonable leader. We do not seek conflict, we do not seek a cold war. We do not ask any nation to choose between the United States or any other partner. But the United States will be unabashed and promoting our vision of a free, open, secure and prosperous world and what we have to offer communities of nations.”

As per Guardian feed, at least.

Watched the speech, impressed he mentioned only using the veto for critical issues.

Edited by Malcador

35 minutes ago, Lexx said:

If it were that easy, everyone would just announce "x is now my territory!" There would be no wars anymore, anyone could do that. I still don't believe russia would use nukes... guess we will find out soonish.

It makes me nervous when you say that because I feel like all of us said Russia wouldn't invade Ukraine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, pmp10 said:

At UN Biden response to Russian mobilization is making security council more 'inclusive'. 
The west just can't accept that their soft power has failed. 

What do you mean when you say  " their soft power has failed " ...the UNSC has 2 members that arent part of the West  and they make their own decisions.  And the UN doesnt have control over any country in the world? Governments control countries, not the UN

John Milton 

38 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

What do you mean when you say  " their soft power has failed " ...

I'll spare everyone another rant on making Russia a 'pariah state' or crushing its economy with 'unprecedented sanctions'.
Suffice to say that all that careful escalation management resulted in Russian mobilization. 

The sudden interest in security council makes me think that not a single thing has been learned.  

Edited by pmp10
  • Hmmm 1