The All Things Political Topic - A politician needs the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn’t happen

Gorth

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Sorry Alan, I can only imagine how disappointed you must be

I honestly do not give a ****. It seems entirely reasonable that the level of support he has is closely mirrored by the fellow MPs of his own party.

Edited by alanschu

On 6/24/2022 at 4:03 PM, Gromnir said:

that said, the right of the people to keep and bear arms is specific enumerated in the Constitution. you are gonna have difficulty finding abortion or privacy anywhere in the Constitution. Alito, thomas, Gorsuch ACB and Kavanaugh says non-enumerated rights may exist, but only if history and tradition circa 1789 and 1868 supports such a finding. republicans should be no less incensed as democrats by the manner in which roe were overturned 'cause is now a whole bunch o' rights important to conservatives on the proverbial chopping block, though as previous stated, women and minorities is the most obvious losers from the move away from Scalia's brand o' textualism to the history and tradition focused originalism o' the current conservative (but curious activist) Justices.

If history and tradition was a guide for textualism Old Scratch might have a case for the out and out Satanists to have pentagrams painted with blood and women dancing naked in the forest as protected forms of worship:

Finally, the stranger yawned a little. "Your spirited efforts on behalf of your client do you credit, Mr. Webster," he said, "but if you have no more arguments to adduce, I'm rather pressed for time—" and Jabez Stone shuddered.

Dan'l Webster's brow looked dark as a thundercloud. "Pressed or not, you shall not have this man," he thundered. "Mr. Stone is an American citizen, and no American citizen may be forced into the service of a foreign prince. We fought England for that in '12 and we'll fight all hell for it again!"

"Foreign?" said the stranger. "And who calls me a foreigner?"

"Well, I never yet heard of the dev—of your claiming American citizenship," said Dan'l Webster with surprise.

"And who with better right?" said the stranger, with one of his terrible smiles. "When the first wrong was done to the first Indian, I was there. When the first slaver put out for the Congo, I stood on her deck. Am I not in your books and stories and beliefs, from the first settlements on? Am I not spoken of, still, in every church in New England? 'Tis true the North claims me for a Southerner, and the South for a Northerner, but I am neither. I am merely an honest American like yourself—and of the best descent—for, to tell the truth, Mr. Webster, though I don't like to boast of it, my name is older in this country than yours."

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

5 hours ago, Agiel said:

If history and tradition was a guide for textualism Old Scratch might have a case for the out and out Satanists to have pentagrams painted with blood and women dancing naked in the forest as protected forms of worship:

Alito is selective with his history analysis. is the legal history and traditions o' common law and US at and previous to 1789 and 1868 which matter for dobbs v. jackson, but to allow a giant cross on public land, community history and traditions o' the last few decades is dipositive, 'cause the legal traditions woulda' made clear the cross were verboten. when Alito's draft o' dobbs were leaked, historians pounced on the Justice's bad analysis, chastising Alito for misrepresenting individuals and events. nevertheless, when the full and final opinion were released, Alito made no effort to correct his history missteps. 

the problem we got with the current approach advocated most dramatic by thomas and Alito is that history and traditions is being used as an excuse for reaching predetermined conclusions as 'posed to a guide for arriving at decisions. admitted, such a criticism has always dogged the textualists, but were only a couple years ago when Scalia's analytical scheme were lauded even by those who disagreed with him. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps

these kinda theatrics tend to leave us flaccid, but am gonna admit our curiosity is peaked.

edit:

Former Meadows aide to testify in surprise Jan. 6 committee hearing

hmm.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

11 hours ago, alanschu said:

I honestly do not give a ****. It seems entirely reasonable that the level of support he has is closely mirrored by the fellow MPs of his own party.

Why you shouting and using bad language? You made two posts  on this polling  and we have discussed the reality of Johnson resigning in a previous debate. So its a very normal assumption to make that you are interested in this topic, people generally dont make posts unless they have some interest?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Why you shouting and using bad language? You made two posts  on this polling  and we have discussed the reality of Johnson resigning in a previous debate. So its a very normal assumption to make that you are interested in this topic, people generally dont make posts unless they have some interest?

Thought the main point was to criticise the graph and its labels.

1 hour ago, Chairchucker said:

Thought the main point was to criticise the graph and its labels.

Yup. It was because I thought it was funny. And then I learned more information and posted a correction about it while sharing that I learned that the process is likely more manual, and prone to the mistakes associated with that, than I realized. A sort of "ah, okay I see how that happened" sort of thing.

The second post was literally an elaboration on the first post to help provide correct context to the original mistake and that maybe I was being too harsh on The Times in this particular circumstance.

(I also feel I shouldn't need to clarify that it's entirely possible to use a swear without shouting, but here we are)

EDIT: And in some news that absolutely does not surprise me, people that are very sure they can tell when people are trans are doing a wonderful job of assuming that the best women's swimmer in the world, Katie Ledecky, is also a trans woman 🙃

Edited by alanschu
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alanschu said:

Yup. It was because I thought it was funny. And then I learned more information and posted a correction about it while sharing that I learned that the process is likely more manual, and prone to the mistakes associated with that, than I realized. A sort of "ah, okay I see how that happened" sort of thing.

The second post was literally an elaboration on the first post to help provide correct context to the original mistake and that maybe I was being too harsh on The Times in this particular circumstance.

(I also feel I shouldn't need to clarify that it's entirely possible to use a swear without shouting, but here we are)

EDIT: And in some news that absolutely does not surprise me, people that are very sure they can tell when people are trans are doing a wonderful job of assuming that the best women's swimmer in the world, Katie Ledecky, is also a trans woman 🙃

I saw that this morning and spent a good 30 seconds laughing. But I suppose it brings up a consequence of this sport panic, namely that any (cis)woman who is too good or doesn't conform to certain standards is going to be hounded by some of the dumbest people in the world.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

16 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

I saw that this morning and spent a good 30 seconds laughing. But I suppose it brings up a consequence of this sport panic, namely that any (cis)woman who is too good or doesn't conform to certain standards is going to be hounded by some of the dumbest people in the world.

Oh yes. You saw it with people like Caster Semenya. It's supremely messed up that one state passed a law that girls are to be "internally examined" and 100% it's going to happen in the case of women that don't conform to certain aesthetics (which is ironic given a lot of gender critical types ostensibly claim to support gender non-conforming women).

Also just saw this. I imagine that part of this (I also saw stuff like "I don't care if they have weapons. They aren't a threat to me" (paraphrased) comments as well IIRC. Suspect this was part of the motivation for short notice hearing.

Trump WH sounds like a great workplace.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/06/28/us/jan-6-hearing-today/3f4b0783-257a-5fd7-9fc7-315dc657f23c?smid=url-share

Ms. Hutchinson said Mr. Trump demanded that his supporters be able to move around freely even though they were armed, testifying that she was “in the vicinity of a conversation where I overheard the president say something to the effect of, ‘You know, I don’t f-ing care that they have weapons. They’re not here to hurt me. Take the f-ing mags away. Let my people in. They can march to the Capitol from here. Let the people in. Take the f-ing mags away.’”

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Very interesting testimony by Cassidy Hutchinson, very damaging to Trump and some of his aides

She is very brave and young, only 26/27 ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, HoonDing said:

Good thing the funding fathers thought of the really important stuff: guns and slavery.

didn't guns also ended slavery? 🤔

• Thanks 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

2 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

It's like booze. It's the solution to life's problems until you overdo it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

No, prisoners can still be slaves. We only limited it.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

• Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

You are loosing me there, I am not considering involuntary servitude for criminals as slavery, but to each his own

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The 13th Amendment explicitly states it as an exception (EDIT: As @ShadySandsalso quotes)
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction"

IMO it's one thing to consider it acceptable (to be clear, I don't. They should be opt in and they should be paid if you wish to use prison labour), but I feel it should definitely be considered slavery.

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

You are loosing me there, I am not considering involuntary servitude for criminals as slavery, but to each his own

unfortunately you would remain mistaken. courts and legislatures were still referencing prisoners as "slaves of the state" in multiple jurisdictions decades following the 13th amendment. the slavery/involuntary servitude distinction is a bit more fuzzy than you might believe, but regardless, weren't 'til the 20th century when SCOTUS closed the slavery loophole specific (kinda tangential related to 1930s tariff act as a matter o' fact) and the involuntary servitude bit remains. so guns didn't actual end the practice but were the Court which final eliminated the remaining vestiges o' a national sin... or perhaps senators wyden and brown as well as the obama administration by a surprising not unanimous vote to codify in 2015(?). not absolute positive o' the year.

and yeah, involuntary servitudes for prisoners remain in most/many (not certain of numbers actually) states as o' 2022, and the courts has made clear there is little to distinguish the two practices in any meaningful sense. at least a few state courts still use the terms interchangeable in spite o' the 1930s SCOTUS case we reference 'bove. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

16 minutes ago, alanschu said:

The 13th Amendment explicitly states it as an exception (EDIT: As @ShadySandsalso quotes)
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction"

IMO it's one thing to consider it acceptable (to be clear, I don't. They should be opt in and they should be paid if you wish to use prison labour), but I feel it should definitely be considered slavery.

I dont think prisoners can expect money because working outside has its advantages to being incarcerated 

But it should be optional for low risk prisoners 

John Milton 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

How many Kurdish heads will be sent to Sultan Erdogan on a silver platter?

That's what I'm wondering too. I don't see the rest of the members pressuring Turkey to do anything.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

That's a wide brush to paint with but okay 

It's an important loophole because what do you think came next after they said no more chattel slavery but you can use prisoners as slaves

Not really. They get paid and it's voluntary. They are not compelled to work. Slaves don't get that choice. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell