Ukraine Conflict - Das Himmelfahrtskommando

Mamoulian War

4 minutes ago, pmp10 said:

No country is that generous, not even to allies.
Let alone a poor European backwater country that is distracting US from pivoting to Asia. 

I wouldn't even call it generous, I'd call it self interest. If they can remain a thorn in Russia's side they'd probably call it a win. Also, shipping and selling arms is kinda just what we do so I don't think it's going to be much of a distraction.

I'm no expert though

Free games updated 3/4/21

19 minutes ago, pmp10 said:

No country is that generous, not even to allies.
Let alone a poor European backwater country that is distracting US from pivoting to Asia. 

Well not for infinite years, but will be an easy sell to the public (if any care in a couple of months.) - and helps the US economy out, sort of.  Useful to check Russia and doesn't hold the US' attention too much.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm no expert either.
But the few I follow generally stress the priority would be to build a modern airforce and air defense systems.
That involves cost that go far beyond javelins and stringers.

Especially for countries that wouldn't provide a single truck or a 4x4. (leading to predictable buy-out of Toyota pickups in neighboring countries)
And then there was the whole MIG transfer debacle. 

So the way I see it - serious military hardware is off the table.

Edited by pmp10
  • Like 2

Yeah, modern airforce and air defences are exactly what they won't get for free as they're expensive. The proposed aircraft donations were for planes that were due for replacement- hence Poland wanting expedited delivery of F16s in exchange- or in Bulgaria's case, may not have even been genuinely airworthy in the first place.

Hmm, nice to see that Shoigu has been paroled from his house arrest to make tv appearances.

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

A point where I think the west failed badly strategically, besides constantly marginalizing Russia and fanning the paranoia (especially during the 90's), is the lack of focused support for Putin alternatives. Viable ones that is (see above comment about Navalny).

Part of that is that Putin himself was seen as broadly pro west in the early years. People tend to forget GWB looking into his soul etc- partly because there was a desperate desire to rehabilitate Bush jr post Trump, partly because there's a lot of other stuff to ridicule him about- and relations with the west only really went downhill with the Georgia/ Ukraine NATO accession decision.

The other part is how badly Yeltsin's time is regarded in Russia, and him widely being regarded as a western puppet who ran the country into the ground under western direction. Western endorsement is not a net positive, except with people who cannot remember Yeltsin. Hence Navalny's support, such as it is, is among those who can't remember the 90s or did well in them.

1 hour ago, pmp10 said:

I'm no expert either.
But the few I follow generally stress the priority would be to build a modern airforce and air defense systems.
That involves cost that go far beyond javelins and stringers.

Especially for countries that wouldn't provide a single truck or a 4x4. (leading to predictable buy-out of Toyota pickups in neighboring countries)
And then there was the whole MIG transfer debacle. 

So the way I see it - serious military hardware is off the table.

Had thought they could give Patriots at a discount or something, but had no idea those things cost that much - $1B. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

22 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

The other part is how badly Yeltsin's time is regarded in Russia, and him widely being regarded as a western puppet who ran the country into the ground under western direction. Western endorsement is not a net positive, except with people who cannot remember Yeltsin. Hence Navalny's support, such as it is, is among those who can't remember the 90s or did well in them.

The problem with Russian public opinion is that it's hard to gauge numerically.  What we do know for sure that support for any kind of pro-Western government is at the bottom of the list, as the average Russian sees the average Westerner as dumb, rich, and too full of themselves, sort of like how Iranians see the U.S.  And it's hard to gauge how many Russians currently (Key word there, it's no longer the 90's or 00's) want Communism back because every Communist party member believes that Putin has the entire election process rigged in his favor (The only thing Navalny supporters and Communists have in common).

Most support appears to go to Putin right now with Communists in 2nd place, but it's unknown just HOW MUCH 2nd place they actually are unlike Navalny supporters and other pro-Western parties along with that idiot Zhirinovsky who are all a distant 3rd place collectively.

My advice?  Communists and United Russia should form some kind of material synthesis and weed out the bad elements of both parties and forge the good.  It would be Stalin meets A.Dugin, and I think most Russians could welcome that kind of union (no pun intended).

The latter rise is pretty close to definitely due to the gas buying as it coincides with the announcement, and the obvious result of forcing Europeans to buy a lot of roubles is their appreciation as it increases demand for them. First rise is likely to be a correction from the currency dropping too far.

(Kind of amusing watching people say that charging in roubles would be a breach of contract and Russians have to accept payment in sanctioned currencies. Pretty sure Russia didn't agree to accept payments in the equivalent of Company Scrip, and that's what the sanctions make Euros and USD to Russia)

5 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

The latter rise is pretty close to definitely due to the gas buying as it coincides with the announcement, and the obvious result of forcing Europeans to buy a lot of roubles is their appreciation as it increases demand for them. First rise is likely to be a correction from the currency dropping too far.

(Kind of amusing watching people say that charging in roubles would be a breach of contract and Russians have to accept payment in sanctioned currencies. Pretty sure Russia didn't agree to accept payments in the equivalent of Company Scrip, and that's what the sanctions make Euros and USD to Russia)

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/germany-g7-rejects-russias-demand-pay-gas-rubles-83718683

Their is nothing amusing about Russia trying to worm out of agreed on contracts for gas payments

Thats why the G7 rejected it 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2022/03/30/refusing-to-kill-people-isn-t-a-crime

— When and under what conditions were your clients fired?

— On February 25, [Rosgvardia, the Russian National Guard] was getting ready to send my clients to Ukrainian territory, but they refused to leave Crimea. A review was initiated. On March 1, they received contract termination orders due to their failure to carry out orders. They thought about it and decided to go through the courts to get their employment reinstated. 12 people have reached out to us so far, but a lot more have been fired.

— Are there legal grounds for reinstatement? To what degree were they required to take part in the “special military operation?”

— If there was an armed conflict, an emergency situation, or martial law, the terms of the contract could be changed without their consent for six months. But we don’t have an armed conflict or a war, it’s just an “special military operation.” The law doesn’t say anything about that. You can go there [as a Rosgvardia officer], but only if you agree to it.

— Beautiful.

— The authorities themselves refuse to call it an armed conflict. Whatever category you choose, that’s what you’ll get. That means everyone who goes there must agree — there’s no point threatening them. And if it is a military conflict, another question immediately arises: who started it? Oops. And nobody wants to answer this question, since there’s a completely different qualification of the actions [in the Russian Criminal Code] — and I don’t mean the soldiers’ actions. That’s why they won’t recognize what’s happening as an armed conflict.

[in the Russian Criminal Code]

What do you mean?
Article 353 of the Russian Criminal Code establishes criminal liability for the "planning, preparation, and launching of an aggressive war," punishable by up to 20 years in prison. "Oops" is right.

Although I am not sure if even Russian own laws matter in this case

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/germany-g7-rejects-russias-demand-pay-gas-rubles-83718683

Their is nothing amusing about Russia trying to worm out of agreed on contracts for gas payments

Thats why the G7 rejected it 

They can reject it, but they will have to test that resolve when/if the gas will stop flowing due to non-payment. 

The EU doesn't have many alternatives now, and future is not so bright as well. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/why-us-wont-succeed-weaning-europe-its-dependence-russian-gas

3 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

They can reject it, but they will have to test that resolve when/if the gas will stop flowing due to non-payment. 

The EU doesn't have many alternatives now, and future is not so bright as well. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/why-us-wont-succeed-weaning-europe-its-dependence-russian-gas

Sure, end of the day I would support buying gas in Rubles if the EU has no choice

That should be obvious, in English we say " you dont want to cut off your nose to spite your face " 

But here is another concerning metric of the deeply damaged Russian economy, the Russian stock market has still not opened properly....over 1 month since the invasion

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/russian-stocks-fall-again-moscow-094646223.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

29 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

No clue, I haven't used the heater since winter 2021 and even then it was only for a week or so.

Edited by Lexx
  • Gasp! 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

54 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

Meh, I have lost almost all interest in Afghanistan since the Taliban took over and now have again started denying Afghan women the right to education 

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/baffled-taliban-reneging-pledge-girls-education-83650457

John Milton 

New scene group called FSBros to be created soon.

• Haha 1