The All Things Political Topic - All people love themselves too much to be changed by something as simple as love.

Gromnir

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

we now got bruce on ignore, so only saw 'cause is quoted, but kinda found amusing to see wisconsin lumped in as liberal. milwaukee and the college towns is liberal, and biden got a narrow in in wisconsin, but the legislature is gop controlled and the wisconsin courts are almost cartoonish conservative. go to rural parts o' wisconsin (most o' the state from a geographic pov) and any true son o' the south is gonna feel right at home... save during the winter, when lake effect snow and bone chilling and pipe bursting cold is the norm.

only reason we bring this up is 'cause am suspecting many folks not from the US thinks northern states is more liberal than southern, and while such is kinda true is becoming less and less true every year as tech companies movie south and bring their employees with 'em, shifting a few southern states purple.

also am gonna note what gd's picture o' the doughnut/gun shop avoids showing you is the near guaranteed rack o' hats and t-shirts for sale emblazoned with the confederate flag. is one o' those reasons why red states is most assured not awesome.

HA! Good Fun! 

Thats okay, no need to justify why you ignoring me. I will be okay with that decision. But I will miss our debates 

Also  I see you still cant discern between a light hearted comment and a serious debate, my suggestion  is you should work on that. And you know I have mentioned that before to you :thumbsup:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

19 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

While it's not true of all states it's mostly true. All states are red outside of the big cities and all states are blue inside of them. Take GA as an example. IIRC correctly Biden won just 6 or 7 of 159 counties. But they were Cobb, Gwinett, Doherty, Chatham, DeKab, Clayton and I think one more. Basically the overwhelming majority of Atlanta, Savannah, and Albany, three of the four big cities in the state. That was where the people are. The red vs blue maps of the USA look overwhelming for the GOP but the Dems win where lots of people live. The more concentrated a states population is in one or two metro areas the more likely that state is to be blue and vice versa. Florida is a good example of a red state with a lot of blue voters but stays red because the population is spread out over the entire state. The cities don't overwhelm the suburbs or rural areas with numbers.

I don't really think "red" states are better then "blue" for any objective reason. Every state has good things and bad going for them and against them. Except maybe New Jersey. It does pretty much suck. Although I prefer to live in states were the tax burden is minimized and the state government mostly leaves you alone. That tends to be red states not entirely coincidently. I wouldn't want to live in CA but that's mostly because it's really crowded and really expensive more than anything going on in Sacramento.

Anyway the donut, gun, and redneck hat store pic is in NC I believe. A purple state for the very reasons you named. But I just thought the dichotomy of guns and donuts sold in the same store was funny. 

Of course it was funny, Gromnir seems to be only one who cant see the humor in it  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

He's getting grouchy in his old age! :lol:

I can relate. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Thats okay, no need to justify why you ignoring me. I will be okay with that decision. But I will miss out debates 

Also  I see you still cant discern between a light hearted comment and a serious debate, my suggestion  is you should work on that. And you know I have mentioned that before to you :thumbsup:

Weird that people always ANNOUNCE an ignoring, but I guess we would never feel their qq otherwise? Anywho, Ill do you a solid and quote you so that he can see your response. :lol:

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2021 at 8:02 PM, ComradeYellow said:

So Republicans were cooler when they gave free stuff out of pocket only to people who joined organizations that kill people. What are they now? No free stuff for everyone equally? I think I'd prefer less discrimination.

Not give away, but actually act like they cared about people and make some try at engaging with solutions, rather than blame everybody else, run the hate, while focusing on not letting anyone else do stuff in case they win points. 😄

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Fun facts about California and Hurlshot, we both support the 2nd amendment fully. I don't need guns myself because I can outrun bullets, but my wife used to skeet shoot competitively and I have a fair amount of friends who are hunters. What I would love to see if a change in gun culture in this country. It is ridiculous how we glamorize them. They are dangerous tools and should be treated as such. The NRA should be the first to reinforce that notion. 

Also, California is too expensive. Crowding varies widely depending on the area. But it is a beautiful state and I love it dearly. If it wasn't so expensive I would never leave. It is a political mixed bag like everywhere else. 

Speaking of politics, I was pulled over by a sheriff yesterday for slow rolling through a stop sign on my road bike. We were so close! https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billStatusClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB122

No ticket, just a warning. He also said I should not take up the whole lane going 5 miles an hour. First off, I was going 20, so thanks for the dig Officer. Secondly, I do have the right to the lane when there is no bike lane. We were coming up on a blind curve and it was unsafe for him to try and pass. But I didn't argue because it was clear he was not going to get out of his cruiser in the drizzling rain and write a ticket. This was also on a sparsely travelled backroad, so I'm guessing he was just bored.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

He's getting grouchy in his old age! :lol:

I can relate. 

probably less so than a couple years past. retirement took some edge off, but then again the trump years has been so unbelievable that is hard to pretend indifference, although gd does the ostrich bit with impressive verve. regardless, we decided we just don't have the need to do the sisyphus schtick. we got a few people on ignore and will likely add a few names. past due. easier. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

sadly we learned some time past that moderators cannot be ignored. is kinda contemptible to laugh at the weak and infirm, but we all too often indulge, and as there is no way to complete ignore the "attractive nuisance" situations, we do indulge our worst impulses from time-to-time. oh well. is our cross to bear.

17 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

What I would love to see if a change in gun culture in this country. It is ridiculous how we glamorize them. They are dangerous tools and should be treated as such. The NRA should be the first to reinforce that notion. 

were not long ago (well, not long to old people and historian types) the nra were embracing reasonable firearm restrictions to promote safety and positive public outreach. the no compromise approach current embraced by the nra, somehow becoming linked with the bible no less, is a relative new thing. as recent as 30 years past, am having little doubt the majority o' nra folks woulda' found kyle rittenhouse actions deplorable even if they didn't believe he should be convicted o' murder. kyle were displaying anything but good judgement while carrying a firearm and would be nice if US gun culture were such that more nra members could admit such w/o being labeled as traitors to the cause, or somesuch nonsense.

gun culture is increasingly linked to more extreme notions, which is unfortunate. teach your kid to hunt and observe responsible gun ownership has for centuries been part o' the way o' life in many parts o' the country, and is absolute nothing wrong with that reality. no compromise and cheering o' violence and stoopid is not how we were raised and we has watched with increasing disappointment how gun culture has steadily devolved... and is not just a grumpy old guy pov neither even though am needing to convince self o' that fact.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Except maybe New Jersey.

New Jersey is a myth. It has never existed outside of nightmares.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

They are dangerous tools and should be treated as such. The NRA should be the first to reinforce that notion. 

The sad thing that was once the very reason it existed and up until about 20 years ago was still a big part of it's platform.  

Edit: @Gromnirbeat me to it. 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Wrong post..update coming 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

@Gfted1

Have you ever thought about what an incredible invention the " internet" is and was? And I say the " internet" because I am simplifying all the various protocols, services and applications that exist nowadays that give us so much entertainment and allow us to game, work and communicate with family and friends in so many different ways

But the foundation of the " Internet " and the reason it works in this incredible way is the underlying communication  protocol TCP/IP which was invented in the USA during the Cold War  in 1973 as  a way that data could still flow if a city in the USA was nuked by the " stinking Communist subversives " because TCP\IP allows data to be rerouted if a certain link is down. So in other words before TCP\IP if data was going to get from point A to B it required a consistent link and the other  protocols like NetBeui  and IPX\SPX (created by Novell ) use to be mainstream but TCP\IP was the superior protocol and won the battle of how all data would eventually get from A to B. Im simplifying things a lot but here is a technical link if you want further details 

https://scos.training/history-of-tcp-ip/

But  it was  the UK who created World Wide Web and an English  computer scientist  called Tim Berners-Lee who invented that and their would be no Obsidian forum without the World Wide Web and the contribution that him and others made to the " Internet " we know and love today, including online and network gaming. But nothing changes the significance of the creation of TCP\IP by Americans which is the foundation of the Internet. And thats another reason I like you  guys in the US, you clever and industrious and you have made the world a better place and that is irrefutable 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

And when it comes to the culture of ignoring someone by using  a software mechanic it just seems unnecessary because if you dont like what someone is posting you should "  ignore " them by not ever responding to them, you dont need to announce because by never responding to them its the same thing :biggrin: ( and I know from personal experience it really is the same thing )

It reminds me of MMO where some gamers get angry with the the game and the development studio and vent and rage and say things like " I am leaving and hate this MMO " and people respond with "can I have your stuff " :lol:

And in closing, this terrible pandemic has changed the world forever and irrevocably. I absolutely believe we will recover and get back to the days of going to braais\barbeques, malls, music concerts, restaurants and other social events without wearing masks and in fear. But it has taken people from us who most of us know and love and that will never change for our generation

So the concept of " ignoring " someone on a forum seems so .....trivial and meaningless if you think of the real problems we all grapple with in this pandemic. But thats just my opinion ;)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

5 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

So the concept of " ignoring " someone on a forum seems so .....trivial and meaningless if you think of the real problems we all grapple with in this pandemic. But thats just my opinion ;)

Eh, everyone has their own emotional reactions to <input>, and for some it becomes too much for them to bear. In those cases they can go on and ignore everyone but themselves, who cares? :shrugz: But ANNOUNCING an ignoring is just a piteous last shot before slamming the door on the way out. :lol: Imo.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Eh, everyone has their own emotional reactions to <input>, and for some it becomes too much for them to bear. In those cases they can go on and ignore everyone but themselves, who cares? :shrugz: But ANNOUNCING an ignoring is just a piteous last shot before slamming the door on the way out. :lol: Imo.

It's polite if you ask me, it helps someone to stop themselves from wasting precious time in trying to get their attention.

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

14 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

It's polite if you ask me, it helps someone to stop themselves from wasting precious time in trying to get their attention.

Sadly, people that are desperate for attention rarely notice the door has been shut on their face.

• Like 5

I've been using ignore less because it sometimes gets really confusing especially when people don't directly quote the person they are responding to, something I'm often guilty of. Since I was using the script that completely removes blocked posts it got so bad at several points that I felt like I had to mention it for clarity. That said, I'm also not above a little pettiness now and again.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Most of the people I ignore don't post anymore. I'll count that as a victory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

you have clear never watched a horror film. make a statement such as the above is almost as likely as teens having sex to resurrect the moldering corpse o' a fell and tormented creature impossible lingering on the borders 'tween our world and hell. if oby and skarpen_one sudden once again contribute to these boards, we will be blaming you... or perhaps a pair o' sex starved interns doing qa at 2am at obsidian. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I used to have a number of really annoying individuals on my ignore list before picking up the moderator hat. Luckily they all seem to have drifted away over the years. It is/was a good feature even if very poorly implemented in the board software. I wish it was as effective as say, the block/ignore feature in some mmo games. In guild wars 2 it only stops short of not rendering the characters of blocked accounts in game 😝

no, blocking people is not a good idea when you that extra little bit of responsibility here

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I used to have a number of really annoying individuals on my ignore list before picking up the moderator hat. Luckily they all seem to have drifted away over the years. It is/was a good a feature even if very poorly implemented in the board software. I wish it was as effective as say, the block/ignore feature in some mmo games. In guild wars 2 it only stops short of not rendering the characters of blocked accounts in game 😝

no, blocking people is not a good idea when you that extra little bit of responsibility here

Geez Gorthfuscious I am glad you cant ignore me properly. Its bad enough when you have manually ignored me in the past like over the Ukraine incident\misunderstanding and other comments I have made

Yay for Obsidian moderators not being able to completely ignore\block people :dancing:

• Thanks 1

John Milton 

6 hours ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

That means it's working.

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I've been using ignore less because it sometimes gets really confusing especially when people don't directly quote the person they are responding to, something I'm often guilty of. Since I was using the script that completely removes blocked posts it got so bad at several points that I felt like I had to mention it for clarity. That said, I'm also not above a little pettiness now and again.

I once had a page in this politics thread (although not this particular politics thread) where the entire page was missing because it had evidently just been spammed to death by those that I have on ignore. Felt pretty amazing to just go to the next page without reading a single one. Most of the people that were destroying these threads in the past are not here as of now...most of them.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

8 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

That means it's working.

I once had a page in this politics thread (although not this particular politics thread) where the entire page was missing because it had evidently just been spammed to death by those that I have on ignore. Felt pretty amazing to just go to the next page without reading a single one. Most of the people that were destroying these threads in the past are not here as of now...most of them.

I get you Barti, their is NOTHING worse than people destroying threads. But as you said at least we got rid of most of them

We must strive to get to a point where only like minded people like you and I  are left, echo chambers are the best I tell you :p

I miss many of the people who have left who dont always share my views like Oby and volo but many of them are on Codex so I get to interact them again like volo...and he hasnt changed. He is still very funny

Oh that reminds me, I dont know if anyone remembers Rostere from Denmark, he says hi to everyone 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

you have clear never watched a horror film. make a statement such as the above is almost as likely as teens having sex to resurrect the moldering corpse o' a fell and tormented creature impossible lingering on the borders 'tween our world and hell. if oby and skarpen_one sudden once again contribute to these boards, we will be blaming you... or perhaps a pair o' sex starved interns doing qa at 2am at obsidian. 

HA! Good Fun!

LOL good advice. I have three other "he-who-shall-not-be-named" posters beyond those two. One of them promised to come to the US and kick my ass. I PMed him my address! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thomas Sowell