The TV and Streaming Thread: Now up for syndication...

Amentep

11 hours ago, BruceVC said:

No doubt the best trailer I have seen this year and because I loved the first season this is just additional confirmation of what is coming ....we are so fortunate with such great series available 8)

Whats the force shield hes using? I dont remeber it from last season, and Ive never read the books or played the games, but is it potion based?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Whats the force shield hes using? I dont remeber it from last season, and Ive never read the books or played the games, but is it potion based?

I was almost utterly shocked when you mentioned you havent played the Witcher series but then I remembered you suffer from vertigo or sometimes similar so you cant play these games and enjoy them?

I didnt read the books either but  in the games I remember she has certain inherent powers that are about her interesting origin. Shes an amazing character and I enjoyed being able to play her for a while in W3, you get to play her quest and you learn about her

But maybe someone else  can confirm about her force shield but I do remember she has abilities like Geralt but different ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

TNG: Timescape.  An episode that makes effective use of the cast and the unusal set-up.  They don't have to deal with a "B" plot (although in the prologue, why is Data back to acting like he's never met a human again?  one thing that bugs me about later season Data is that they seem to advance and regress his learning randomly based on what the episode needs).

Lower Decks: Temporal Edict - A fun episode where Beckett doesn't solve everything, allowing the other crew members to get an opportunity to do things.  Boimler is just built different.  

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

6 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

First person games gives me vertigo. Blerg.

No, I mean we see Gerald using the force shield at ~19-20 seconds and again later in the trailer. Iirc, from reading you guys posts, the Witchers powers are potion based (vice gear based)?

Geralt/witchers have inherent powers that are magic-like powers. In the games you can have a certain number of them equipped and active at a time. One of those that pretty much everyone commonly uses is that shield ability. Others include one that knocks back enemies and one that briefly cancels magical defenses.

Edited by kanisatha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Malcador said:

video

am not understanding why ming-na wen keeps getting these roles. admitted, we only saw a few episodes o' agents of shield before we lost interest. also, is not as if she has been particular terrible in the previous star wars and marvel stuff; she is ok. the thing is, the roles she is getting is what other actors/actresses would probable be willing to sell a kidney just to be considered. 

meh. 

am knowing there is expanded universe boba fett material, but am personal knowing nothing o' fett other than what were in the movies and the recent madalorian tv show. the prequel movies managed to make us a bit less interested in boba fett, so is not exact something which piqued our interest. 

however, jennifer beals as a twillek is kinda fun.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

29 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am not understanding why ming-na wen keeps getting these roles. admitted, we only saw a few episodes o' agents of shield before we lost interest. also, is not as if she has been particular terrible in the previous star wars and marvel stuff; she is ok. the thing is, the roles she is getting is what other actors/actresses would probable be willing to sell a kidney just to be considered.

9ad252463dddfb632e5bc04fe7d5fcf63a1d8678

Although I think there's more than just her now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutschland_89

Excellent latest season of the gripping  Deutschland series

Its all about a group of people living in Soviet controlled East Germany and this season is about the end of Communism and the fall of the Berlin Wall. Its such a excellent reminder of the difference in quality of life between people living in a Democracy or under Communism and not all the people in East Germany are unhappy, they survive because they learn to accept things how they are they are citizens of their country 

And for those many forum members who immediately watch any series I recommend this show gets the famous " BruceVC must watch " stamp of approval :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So looks like they're running with a thing to add suspense to watchers who are not readers of the series...

"If he's been reborn as a girl or a boy..."

• Like 1

Well, you could certainly make some changes that would score very highly on the wokeometer if the Dragon could be female

Spoiler

Nynaeve is the Dragon Reborn; Rand and Lan fall in love and get married. I'd 100% watch that for the reactions, if nothing else.

Really though, seems like a pretty moronic change, on the face of it*. The reason that the Dragon's return is so feared by everyone is deeply rooted in the fact that the last Dragon was a male channeller who went stark raving bonkers- and that the reborn one will be a channeller who will inevitably go stark raving bonkers as well, while hopefully doing some incidental saving of the world en route to that madness. There's simply no reason to be capital a Afraid of a female Dragon in the same way. OK, Aes Sedai aren't exactly loved universally, but they're multiple orders of magnitude more popular than a random male channeller.

*I can see some ways that they could make it interesting. Having the Red Ajah- or Aes Sedai in general- be convinced that the Dragon has to be a female sent to fix the mens' mistakes could add an interesting dynamic. It would even make sense given the book's backstory of the female Aes Sedai refusing en bloc to help with the sealing of the bore; they'd surely assume that any saviour would be female. But it still wouldn't make any sense with the rest of the backstory and how the world is established to work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Well, you could certainly make some changes that would score very highly on the wokeometer if the Dragon could be female

Hide contents

Nynaeve is the Dragon Reborn; Rand and Lan fall in love and get married. I'd 100% watch that for the reactions, if nothing else.

Really though, seems like a pretty moronic change, on the face of it*. The reason that the Dragon's return is so feared by everyone is deeply rooted in the fact that the last Dragon was a male channeller who went stark raving bonkers- and that the reborn one will be a channeller who will inevitably go stark raving bonkers as well, while hopefully doing some incidental saving of the world en route to that madness. There's simply no reason to be capital a Afraid of a female Dragon in the same way. OK, Aes Sedai aren't exactly loved universally, but they're multiple orders of magnitude more popular than a random male channeller.

*I can see some ways that they could make it interesting. Having the Red Ajah- or Aes Sedai in general- be convinced that the Dragon has to be a female sent to fix the mens' mistakes could add an interesting dynamic. It would even make sense given the book's backstory of the female Aes Sedai refusing en bloc to help with the sealing of the bore; they'd surely assume that any saviour would be female. But it still wouldn't make any sense with the rest of the backstory and how the world is established to work.

Spoiler

Weren't there almost infinite timelines, in which some of them the Dragon was female and saidar was tainted. Maybe I'm misremembering that.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I actually remember the answer to that because I thought it was a bit of a laugh when I heard it.

Spoiler

Per Jordan the Dragon is always a bloke. His specific female equivalent is Amerasu (who is tied to the Horn of Valere). So if Saidar got tainted it would be after Amerasu and her 116 companions sealed it, it couldn't be because a female Dragon did it.

I remembered that in particular as the same truncation of Amaterasu was used prior by Tad Williams, so its use implies that both series are set in the same world but in different ages.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

I actually remember the answer to that because I thought it was a bit of a laugh when I heard it.

Hide contents

Per Jordan the Dragon is always a bloke. His specific female equivalent is Amerasu (who is tied to the Horn of Valere). So if Saidar got tainted it would be after Amerasu and her 116 companions sealed it, it couldn't be because a female Dragon did it.

I remembered that in particular as the same truncation of Amaterasu was used prior by Tad Williams, so its use implies that both series are set in the same world but in different ages.

Nice. Then I have no clue why they did that in the show... Maybe it's only for the teaser to bait the female audience.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought the entire book series was pretty heavy-handed on the women being stronger than the men in most meaningful ways, while men are usually weak-minded and controllable. Feel like WoT doesn't really need that nonsense...but I guess people who haven't actually read the series wouldn't know that.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Wow, I just found a never-been-read hardcopy of Crossroads of Twilight in my closet, so I guess I stopped at book 9. :lol: I cant remember much about the first nine and I dont know how the story ended at all. Im tempted to buy the whole series but aint nobody got time for that. Ill have to accept the tv adaptation.

Im watching 2 brilliant new series

Virgil, all about a UK nuclear submarine and murder and sabourtage that occurs on the sub

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigil_(TV_series)

North Water, set in 1859 about life in a whaling trawler and its a mystery ..very dark 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_North_Water_(TV_series)#:~:text=The North Water is a BBC Two five-part,series premiered on AMC%2B on July 15%2C 2021.

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

15 hours ago, Sarex said:
  Hide contents

Weren't there almost infinite timelines, in which some of them the Dragon was female and saidar was tainted. Maybe I'm misremembering that.

Spoiler

IIrc, there were also timelines where Rand or Egwene, etc were killed/turned to the Shadow and the Dark One should have won easily. SO why is the Pattern still intact???

sign.jpg

16 hours ago, Sarex said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

He can't be female in any timeline because he has to wield saidin. In all the other timelines Rand is still himself but, to use a sports metaphor, the ball bounced a different direction and the timeline split.

I reckon who could win may be one thing where RJ changed his mind on as time went on. The whole thing ended up very deterministic, but didn't look anywhere near as much so earlier. Note: I really hate determinism...

Spoiler

You had tons of timelines where Rand failed and the shadow won per the portal stone- but you ended up with the Dark One only having to win once to permanently win in canon. You also had Rand knowing he could seal the DO's prison perfectly because it had previously been sealed perfectly and had to be again so Mierin++ and Beidomon++ can unseal it in Second Age++. Very far from my favourite approach since it also means that you can excuse pretty much anything and everything that for example the Forsaken do as being necessary and being due to them being slaves to destiny, rather than bad people.  And it makes them all utter idiots if they thought there would be a world left to rule after the DO had smashed the wheel. Might as well have kept on using Balefire if they wanted an end to reality (and that's probably why Ishamael's personality shifts from wanting it all to end too, if he wanted that balefire would achieve it pretty quick).

There's also the near complete lack of redemption post book 2. Ingtar's arc is clear set up for [someone] to switch sides later, yet it doesn't happen. Closest is Verin, and she wasn't really a darkfriend. If you're shifting to/ using a deterministic model then you effectively can neither fail fully, nor succeed fully, and certainly if you're important then cannot be redeemed if you're on the wrong side because you have to play your alloted role. Everyone's just a slave and puppet to the Force Wheel and no one really achieves anything. You can't fail because if you fail then time is smashed and you never existed.

(I'd have preferred (1) Ishamael to have stayed as a Kreia type character whose prime wish was to outright destroy the wheel and 'free' everyone (especially himself) from perpetual servitude, and just leave him dead. Have the DO able to win, but not permanently, and have winning alternate who is imprisoned. So if the DO wins then Mierin++ and Beidomon++ discover a new source of power and drill into the Creator's prison to release saidar and saidin, or whatever)

Hm, just saw they they've made a second season of Blood & Treasure and it should be showing before the end of the year.

Interesting. The first season was a fairly self-contained pulp adventure story of treasure hunters, terrorists, conspiracies, nazis, and curses as a former FBI agent turned archeological recoverer teamed up with his ex, an art thief to chase down the main bad guy.

I'm curious to see how they'll try to carry it on.

• Like 1

The Witcher season 2 trailer music is so bad. Who the hell thought that rap music fits to the Witcher? Really hope they don't have Jaskier rap later on ...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just watched the first 3 episodes of that LoL / Arcane show on Netflix. As someone who knows nothing about LoL, it's pretty good so far. Definitively will continue with it.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."