The TV and Streaming Thread: Now up for syndication...

Amentep

TNG: Descent, Part II

Data is a tool of Lore, Jeordi gets brain-drained, Picard gives speeches and Riker and Worf rally Hugh.  Okay, I guess.  My brother pointed out that having a top ranking ships office be able to be so easily manipulated by an outside signal seems to really be a huge problem for Data and the crew of the Enterprise, which I hadn't really thought about but...yeah.  If Lore could easily send a signal to dampen his empathy logic routine, then how easy would it be to just send Data wild whenever you wanted?

Lower Decks "Cupid's Errant Arrow"

Mariner suspects Boimler's new girlfriend is an alien predator of some kind.  A silly episode that plays off on a story trope that happens a lot with Star Trek (stories about two people meeting and falling an love and one of them isn't what they seemed).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

13 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

No spoilers, but watch at your own risk:

I have a confession to make.....I havent read any of the books but its famous so I do want to watch but does it matter I havent read the books ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Heh, and the Dragonmount website is older than some of the social media WoT streamers.

Also, for non WoT, after 20 years the re-union...

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hometown Cha Cha Cha ended up being sort of a mixed bag. Some elements I liked a lot, some I didn't care/neutral on. By the end there were some side stories I liked more than the actual main lead romance factor (this trio of elderly ladies, for example, would have liked a lot more with them instead). Altho one side story had too much emphasis. The main couple had ok chemistry/were cute I suppose (and dimples galore!) but something about the writing was off/not-likeable so it just had little emotional impact by the end. Would've been better without the brief "danger" conflict moments too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Hometown Cha Cha Cha ended up being sort of a mixed bag. Some elements I liked a lot, some I didn't care/neutral on. By the end there were some side stories I liked more than the actual main lead romance factor (this trio of elderly ladies, for example, would have liked a lot more with them instead). Altho one side story had too much emphasis. The main couple had ok chemistry/were cute I suppose (and dimples galore!) but something about the writing was off/not-likeable so it just had little emotional impact by the end. Would've been better without the brief "danger" conflict moments too.

I'm in episode 4 right now. After the first episode I was a bit meh, but it has gotten better now. Truth told, I already expect some weird / odd ending, because that's my experience with K-Dramas so far. 😄

Then again, Because This Is My First Life felt pretty good all around and it didn't had the need to add in some OH MY GOD twist in the end.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Almost done re-reading Eye of the World in preparation for the TV show. It is amazing how little I remember from when I read it 25 years ago. Is the first season somewhat in-line with the first book, or do I need to read the 2nd book as well?

It is also amazing how much harder it is to read these massive books now that I'm older. I am lucky if I can get 15 minutes to read without an interruption or falling asleep. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Anyone watching Star Trek Disco season 4?

There is no such thing as Star Trek Discovery.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

57 minutes ago, Sarex said:

It's not even on Netflix anymore... Even they have given up...

It wasn't on Netflix in the US...I might've actually tried to watch at least one episode if it had been. Although from the sound of it, I missed nothing. Kind of like how I watched that first "free" episode of Picard and knew right away I wouldn't care about the rest.

Any continuing adventures of the ST franchise is pretty much dead to me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

39 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Almost done re-reading Eye of the World in preparation for the TV show. It is amazing how little I remember from when I read it 25 years ago. Is the first season somewhat in-line with the first book, or do I need to read the 2nd book as well?

It is also amazing how much harder it is to read these massive books now that I'm older. I am lucky if I can get 15 minutes to read without an interruption or falling asleep. 

"Season 1 will cover Book One, plus some of Book Two and even Book Three. But not all of Book One as some of it is in season 2".

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

It's not even on Netflix anymore... Even they have given up...

Paramount took the rights back as they plan to launch Paramount+ globally in 2022.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/star-trek-discovery-netflix-deal-paramount-viacomcbs-1234875466/

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

43 minutes ago, Sarex said:

"Season 1 will cover Book One, plus some of Book Two and even Book Three. But not all of Book One as some of it is in season 2".

Specifically, judging from the reviews/ trailers/ synopses for WoT

Spoiler

The Aes Sedai politics from the start of TGH are definitely in S1, Caemlyn is definitely out (but probably in S2). No solid idea what the part of TDR that is in is though there is some speculation...

Spoiler

That Mat gets healed from the dagger at Tar Valon, and stays there rather than going to the eotw. Assuming the healing is permanent (and if he's at TV, it should be) that would be from TDR.

Also speculation that we'll get 'sourcebook' sourced material background on the Age of Legends. That may be conflation with the episode companion/ xray stuff though. They'd both be ep7-8 though, and we don't even have a synopsis for ep8.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

30 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Come and Learn with Pibby

I watched this a couple of weeks ago, I think. Don't think it's a real show, just a...short they did, basically. If it became a real show, I'd be pretty interested in checking it out just for the novelty.

Both Mike and Jay of RLM said a new Netflix show that came out on the same day as Squid Game called Midnight Mass was one of the best things they saw in years, and to go into it blind. I closed the video before they could say anymore and watched the first couple of episodes, and all I got so far are the "eyes wide" emoji. Small town atmosphere and mystery show.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

24 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Specifically, judging from the reviews/ trailers/ synopses for WoT

Hide contents

The Aes Sedai politics from the start of TGH are definitely in S1, Caemlyn is definitely out (but probably in S2). No solid idea what the part of TDR that is in is though there is some speculation...

Reveal hidden contents

That Mat gets healed from the dagger at Tar Valon, and stays there rather than going to the eotw. Assuming the healing is permanent (and if he's at TV, it should be) that would be from TDR.

Also speculation that we'll get 'sourcebook' sourced material background on the Age of Legends. That may be conflation with the episode companion/ xray stuff though. They'd both be ep7-8 though, and we don't even have a synopsis for ep8.

Spoiler

It wouldn't be that big of a deal to cut Mat from the Eye of the World (as in the location). Realistically him being there had no impact on anything else in the later books, plus holes in his memory gives the showrunners a lot of wiggle room.

Also Caemlyn not being in makes sense as they are giving Logain a much bigger role, so I image his whole story (or most of it) of being a false dragon is going to be covered.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP