The TV and Streaming Thread: Now up for syndication...

Amentep

More WoT spoilers

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

Actually

Reveal hidden contents

Aes Sedai do need to use gestures in order to channel, so once she is restrained, Valda can relax and enjoy his wine.

Spoiler

They don't actually need gestures though, do they? There are certainly some requirements like touch for Healing, but gestures are like... Nynaeve 'needing' herbs for Healing or Moiraine 'needing' her necklace for eavesdropping. They're an aid to concentration and how they've learned to do things- and it would be hard to unlearn that under pressure- but not strictly necessary. Plenty of channelers do plenty of channeling without making gestures throughout the books, and it's never implied that simply tying someone up is enough to stop channeling.

OTOH per below remembering the Whitecloaks were not in Andor provides another potential reason for having an Aes Sedai barbecue with no resistance- can't channel in a Stedding.

1 hour ago, the_dog_days said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Whitecloaks with a kill count don't make sense. They're in Andor. Andor has strong ties with the White Tower. If whitecloaks were running around Andor trying to round up Aes Sedai either the Aes Sedai would set a trap for them or queen Morgase would revoke the permission she gave the whitecloaks to enter Andor and sick the army on them. This rule of cool story telling **** needs to stop.

Spoiler

I'd presume they aren't in Andor, at least at that point. The first Whitecloaks we meet are north of the border, at the Hawkwing Monument. It's later they go to Caemlyn/ Andor.

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

More WoT spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

They don't actually need gestures though, do they? There are certainly some requirements like touch for Healing, but gestures are like... Nynaeve 'needing' herbs for Healing or Moiraine 'needing' her necklace for eavesdropping. They're an aid to concentration and how they've learned to do things- and it would be hard to unlearn that under pressure- but not strictly necessary. Plenty of channelers do plenty of channeling without making gestures throughout the books, and it's never implied that simply tying someone up is enough to stop channeling.

OTOH per below remembering the Whitecloaks were not in Andor provides another potential reason for having an Aes Sedai barbecue with no resistance- can't channel in a Stedding.

Reveal hidden contents

I'd presume they aren't in Andor, at least at that point. The first Whitecloaks we meet are north of the border, at the Hawkwing Monument. It's later they go to Caemlyn/ Andor.

Spoiler

The first whitecloaks are in Baerlon which is a mining town in Andor. They then meet some at the Hawking monument which is also in Andor, though a less populated northern part of Andor. Finally they meet them again in Caemlyn. 90% of the Eye of the World takes place in Andor right up until they take the Ways to Fal Dara, and every time we see whitecloaks is in Andor.

Edited by the_dog_days

But remember, just because they were in Andor didn't stop the Whitecloaks trying a lot of things Morgase wouldn't approve of.. If she knew about it.

When they're out in the sticks, or no-ones going to be able to provide evidence against them, they really only care about their personal righteousness not the grand politics. That's for the upper level management who are usually not personally involved in that sort of stuff.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

WoT spoilers:

Spoiler

The Aes Sedai was probably burned in Amadicia or a nearby country. If Valda carries those rings openly in Andor (or any other country), then it will be weird. People would notice it and the Aes Sedai would definitely do something about it, even if the self defense Oath is different in the show.

They would use all their political influence to deal with something like that. The Green Ajah might even take it personally in some way and the Reds would definitely be involved with the Children being men and actively seeking to kill Sisters, something that even male Channelers will probably not do unless they act in self defense.

sign.jpg

No spoiler tag needed here 'cause this is speculation, but if such a thing were to happen in the books the White Tower would've plotted to dislodge the whitecloaks from Amadicia. After all, kingdoms have risen and fallen by the grace of the White Tower for less. Seems like a weak attempt to make the whitecloaks into mage killers when they were already terrifying as peasant killers.

WoT:

There are plenty of leaked images on Reddit (some really spoilery). Loial, Min, the Tinkers and more.

Also:

Spoiler

Someone suggested that the Aes Sedai was captured by surprise and burned inside a Stedding. So it is not that difficult.

There would still be serious consequences, as both I and @the_dog_days suggested.

Edit: Padan Fain image released in the Youtube channel "The Dusty Wheel":

xhuq3h6zn3w71.jpg

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

5 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

WoT spoilers:

You know you come here too often when WoT makes "Way Off Topic" the first thing/phrase that pops into my head, which in this context made no sense at all.  

Then ... "oh....".

• Haha 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

I saw Fain as MacKenzie Crook. Though Brad Dourif would be fine too.

Reveal hidden contents

He's one character that's specifically and repeatedly described as being pale in book, since you often aren't meant to recognise him directly but 'guess' who it was.

Steve Buscemi was Fain in my head canon.

• Haha 3
  • Gasp! 1

On 10/27/2021 at 6:48 PM, Gfted1 said:

Looks funky. Could be good. 👍 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm the only one here who cares about rasslin' so I usually don't bother, but tonight's episode of AEW Rampage was so good that I have to post sbout it. More specifically, the Bryan Danielson vs Eddie Kingston match that opened the show was incredible. This match could have main evented any PPV for any company on the planet and gotten rave reviews. The final few minutes of the 18 or so minutes of awesomeness these guys went had me on my feet, clapping, pumping my fist in the air (hitting the roof of the truck), and yelling. I wept manly tears of joy for how good this match was.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 10/29/2021 at 4:58 PM, Gfted1 said:

No doubt the best trailer I have seen this year and because I loved the first season this is just additional confirmation of what is coming ....we are so fortunate with such great series available 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No One Sleeps in the Woods Tonight. Forgettable slasher with mutants. Ok for something in the back ground, but would probably do bad as a dedicated watch.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands