Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness

xzar_monty

I played at the start of early access... I'll try again.  I'm not too snobby with graphics but they were terrible(I'm guessing that hasn't changed) not just low budget but so ugly.  Like original Playstation polygon ugly.  Also  the starting point instantly turned me off it.  PoE had my favorite intro because it was easy to roleplay any type of character/class and easily justify why they might be in the situation they are... this one you are a servant of some rich people, and personally just limits what type of character would be in that situation

I'll give it a try though

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, uuuhhii said:

notice the extremely low weight limit

immediately give up

Items are a bit lighter than they are in other games like Pathfinder or Baldur's Gate. Plus your weight limit goes up with each each party member until you have a full party and you get party members immediately after the tutorial.

I've seen a lot of BG1 comparisons already, and combined with some of the gameplay I watched, I wonder whether exploration is at least party some like this (or Kingdom Come Deliverance).

Sort of tired of game worlds as amusement parks or movie set pieces, as it makes everything feel gamey and predictable (you KNOW that once you find a shack in a forest in a "modern" game, that hut will contain an NPC, quest or loot even before entering it, as else nobody would have placed it there, let alone created the art assets).

eVDe3Fn.png

Not concerned about the low/er budget, personally. I think it's rather impressive (and hopeful) that even very tiny teams can create finished games like this -- the staff for the original BG1 was well over 30 at the start, and 50-60 once the game had shipped. 

I'd take a "hit" in production values any time over the vice versa, in particular in an age where AAA RPG development means increasingly streamlining games this much they play just like any action/adventure or looter shooter on the market in an attempt to fit in and attract ever wider audiences, and often times, quests solving themselves outside of inevitable combat. 

Edited by Sven_
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Sven_ said:

Not concerned about the low/er budget, personally. I think it's rather impressive (and hopeful) that even very tiny teams can create finished games like this -- the staff for the original BG1 was well over 30 at the start, and 50-60 once the game had shipped.

My sentiments exactly.

And I'd also point out that I don't think it is at all a coincidence that the initials of this game's name are the same as Baldur's Gate. ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

42 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

And I'd also point out that I don't think it is at all a coincidence that the initials of this game's name are the same as Baldur's Gate. ;)

I'd only just noticed that thanks to your post (even though I was aware of the game ever since their Kickstarter campaign). 😄 

Still really curious about the exploration though. I don't like to spoil myself, so only watched bits of video on YouTube. But there seems lots of wilderness, which also reminded me lots of BG1 (in a, for me, good way). :) 

Edited by Sven_

4 minutes ago, Sven_ said:

I'd only just noticed that thanks to your post (even though I was aware of the game ever since their Kickstarter campaign). 😄 

Still really curious about the exploration though. I don't like to spoil myself, so only watched bits of video on YouTube. But there seems lots of wilderness, which also reminded me lots of BG1 (in a, for me, good way). :) 

I backed the game and have had it since the beginning of EA. But I am yet to play it as my MO is always to wait several months before I play a new game, so that most bugs and other issues will have been ironed out by then. Have never ever felt a need to play a game on Day 1. :)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Maxxx17 said:

I haven't tried to play it yet, but I'm going to. Any feedback? Is it worth it to start?

All I can say is they have thus far been very aggressive in fixing bugs and issues with the game since release, and they have said a roadmap for feature updates is coming soon.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 8:06 PM, Theonlygarby said:

I like how everyone has bought, but not played this game yet.  I keep saying I'm going to give it a try but then play anything else but it

Why dont you buy a copy for me, I promise to play it and you know you can trust me :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Im interested in it too. But I dont want to get rope-a-doped into another unnecessarily "tuned" game system under the guise of a "spiritual successor".

I'm sure there must be some 'let's play' videos out there you could check out.

On 4/4/2022 at 3:57 PM, Gfted1 said:

Im interested in it too. But I dont want to get rope-a-doped into another unnecessarily "tuned" game system under the guise of a "spiritual successor".

Fair point as such, but as far as the "another" word is concerned, what are you referring to? I mean, as far as successors to BG are concerned, I'm not sure there have been that many attempts. But enlighten me. PoE was one, but it was a success.

Aye, PoE single handedly turned me off to kickstarter projects forever. :lol: Now Ill just wait until games are released and see if they are my cuppa before buying. I prefer established settings, so Black Geyser gives me pause with their home brew system. Generally speaking, there are too many unknow variables and reinventing of the wheel for my tastes.

55 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Aye, PoE single handedly turned me off to kickstarter projects forever. :lol: Now Ill just wait until games are released and see if they are my cuppa before buying. I prefer established settings, so Black Geyser gives me pause with their home brew system. Generally speaking, there are too many unknow variables and reinventing of the wheel for my tastes.

consider how kingmaker end up compare to poe

new home brew system might be far more viable for smaller dev

the effort to refine an ancient system are just not worth it

29 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

consider how kingmaker end up compare to poe

new home brew system might be far more viable for smaller dev

the effort to refine an ancient system are just not worth it

Agreed, I just dont want to throw any more money into the toilet. If GrapeOcean comes up with a good system and people like it then I may give it a whirl. Otherwise Ill probably wait for some far-flung future date when @ShadySands is giving it away. :lol:

• Haha 2