Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

Why Education Is About To Reach A Crisis Of Epic Proportions (forbes.com)

Almost half of teachers are thinking about leaving their jobs. Where does that leave America?

We’re at a major tipping point in education. According to a recent survey, 48% of teachers admitted that they had considered quitting within the last 30 days. Of that number, 34% said they were thinking about leaving the profession entirely.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

40 minutes ago, Raithe said:

I have some thoughts on this. 

1. The crisis will be mitigated by the retirement packages most teachers have to look forward to. It is easy to leave education in the first 5 years, but after that you are walking away from a fairly decent package, depending on the state. It will be important that districts continue to make that attractive. There have been 2 times in my 20 year career where I seriously thought about pivoting, and it was the long term picture that kept me going through the career itch.

2. The crisis is necessary. My salary schedule has barely changed in the last 10 years. I have moved up the ladder, but we are not even keeping up with COLA costs on a yearly basis. Some districts do better than others. But the reality is teachers need to make more money. It is the only surefire way to attract more people to the profession. It needs to be a decent living. My wife and I cannot afford houses on teacher's salaries, despite nearing the top of the salary schedule. When we started our career, it was possible. Teacher salaries were never fantastic to begin with, but they have stagnated while everything else has increased.  

I could easily go on about this. I also think we should go to a 4-day teaching schedule with the 5th day acting as a flex day. They want us having conferences, teaching social emotional content, and serving on committees, but then they also want us teaching all the educational standards to 180 students 5 days a week. It is exhausting. Every teacher I know enjoys being in the class with the students and teaching. It is the extra stuff that burns people out.

• Like 6

Saw this and thought of that fun when you get into a "hobby" for that first big project...

- No prior printing experience, bought the printers just for this project. Total 2,100 hours of print time
- Started with one CR-10v3, turned into two, and added an Ender 5+ towards the end
- Used 40 kg of filament. All GTS3D, has issues with 5 rolls, not bad considering the price. Just under $400
- Scaled 800% to full size, 7'-4" tall
- Used LuBan to scale, hollow, and cut
- No idea how long is going to take to finish. Plan on using acetone and Bondo, combined with UV resin. Got an airbrush for painting. Send all helpful resources my way!

271593397_1059846491246053_1855345960846

271591258_1059846594579376_1106735353363

• Gasp! 1

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/dev-corrupts-npm-libs-colors-and-faker-breaking-thousands-of-apps/

Naturally some are running with this as a stick to beat all Open Source with.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This Keyboard Lets People Type So Fast It’s Banned From Typing Competitions

Your palms rest on two black divots out of which rise nine different finger sized joysticks. These 18 sticks move in every direction and, its website claims, can hit every button you need on a regular keyboard. “CharaChorder switches detect motion in 3 dimensions so users have access to over 300 unique inputs without their fingers breaking contact with the device,” it said.

Prepare to re-learn typing, it sounds like.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

zQImpnq.png

am holding out for direct neural interface. anything less is just not worth our time to learn.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I remember OCZ advertising alternatives to keyboards years ago...

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1766/ocz_neural_impulse_actuator_mind_over_hand/index.html

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I like this Dutch tradition... more countries should use it to keep their politicians in line!

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

15 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I like this Dutch tradition... more countries should use it to keep their politicians in line!

is perhaps obvious, but while the video does describe why the dutch killed an unpopular politician, the explanation for why they ate him is a bit... wanting. "because they hated him?" 

if we gotta provide a grade, am going with a C... maybe a C-.  were interesting, and for sake o' argument am assuming is accurate and well researched, so perhaps a passing grade, but we never did get a satisfactory answer to the initial question posed. our conclusion is the video were entertaining but nevertheless lacking.

we remain perplexed by the eating. maybe if you are dutch the explanation goes w/o saying... which is another level o' disturbing. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

9 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

we remain perplexed by the eating. maybe if you are dutch the explanation goes w/o saying... which is another level o' disturbing. 

HA! Good Fun!

😁

Maybe it was just a few too many mushrooms?... people do weird things after eating mushrooms 🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, rjshae said:

I wanted something like that since I saw this

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

https://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/22/01/11/1349220/lapd-officers-fired-for-catching-a-snorlax-instead-of-a-burglar-denied-appeal?

Two LAPD officers who were fired from their jobs in 2017 for playing Pokemon Go while on duty have had their appeal for reinstatement denied by a California judge. From a report: The officers' squad car video camera showed the two officers, Louis Lozano and Eric Mitchell, ignored a request for backup to play the game, according to court documents. The pair were stationed near a robbery in progress, and after the responding officers put out a call for backup, Lozano and Mitchell seemingly ignored the call and left the area. When asked later why they hadn't responded to the call, the two officers said they were in a loud area and couldn't hear their radio. Lozano and Mitchell's supervisor was skeptical of their explanation and checked the in-car recording system (commonly known as a dashcam), which revealed the two had heard the call and chose to go elsewhere as they didn't want to help. The supervisor reported the incident, which opened a formal investigation. According to court filings, an extensive review of the in-car video system revealed that shortly after leaving the scene of the robbery, the two officers could be heard discussing Pokemon Go, including a Snorlax that had appeared and the best route to intercept and catch it.

• Confused 2

BBC - Liver-Branding surgeon struck off the register

A surgeon who branded his initials on two patients' livers has been struck off the medical register.
Simon Bramhall admitted using an argon beam machine to autograph the organs in 2013 while working at Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
Reviewing the case, the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) said it was an "act borne out of a degree of professional arrogance".

It said his actions "undermined" public trust in the medical profession.
It also noted Bramhall was of "previous good character" but erasure from the medical register was the "proportionate sanction" as the "overall context of providing life-saving care" did not mitigate against "Mr Bramhall's gross violation of his patients' dignity and autonomy".

• Gasp! 1

An impressive feat of engineering, the Apollo Guidance Computer (the computer built for the Apollo that landed on the moon)

Weight: 32kg, power consumption 55 Watt (yes, fifty five) and 2 Kilo Words of memory (a unit I haven't seen since Computer Science classes back in University)!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Gorth said:

An impressive feat of engineering, the Apollo Guidance Computer (the computer built for the Apollo that landed on the moon)

Weight: 32kg, power consumption 55 Watt (yes, fifty five) and 2 Kilo Words of memory (a unit I haven't seen since Computer Science classes back in University)!

55 watts. Wow, no wonder it was the first thing they shut off in the Odyssey on Apollo 13.

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

How Fake Spies Ruin Real Intelligence

Real spies have always had a complicated relationship with fictional ones. On the one hand, intelligence agencies have been courting Hollywood for decades in the hopes of getting favorable portrayals. On the other hand, they decry the negative and unrealistic depictions that often result.

:lol:

The NSA & CIA are made up of some very smart, skilled, and unheroic looking people. They are experts in data analysis and languages/culture not hand to hand combat. When it's time to the the "Bond and Bourne" stuff it's usually Green Berets or SEALs who are doing the heavy lifting. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

When it's time to the the "Bond and Bourne" stuff it's usually Green Berets or SEALs who are doing the heavy lifting. 

You mean Hollywood lied to me? 😱

Next you'll tell me that William Wallace didn't actually seduce the pre-pubescent princess.

Or that the Americans didn't actually capture the Engima machine during WW2...

7 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Old stuff, rock of gilbrator. New stuff, marshmallows.

Frankly, that very much matches my own experiences with stuff bought in Australia (most stuff here is approx 99% made in China, with a few clothing pieces made in Bangladesh and some quality, by comparison, electronics made in Taiwan)

First time I really noted it was when buying some interim cutlery (waiting for my old Made in Germany cutlery to get shipped down under). One visit to the dishwasher and the "stainless" Chinese stuff started corroding. My German cutlery is now 35 years old and not a single spot on any of the pieces, despite literally hundreds upon hundreds of visits to the dishwasher over the decades. I've always believed since that observation, that you get exactly what you pay for (insert some unflattering adjectives here)

• Like 2

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling