The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

gd got us thinking. is ez for us to name our favorite movies, but such choices is gonna be familiar on many critical best lists, and where's the fun in that?

three movies we like which we do not claim is great or even good. rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead is the film linked 'bove.

am such a big beowulf fan, and has never been a particular good beowulf film. even with antonio banderas' insta language skills and other curious additions to the michael crichton book, we enjoyed the film.

(cheat addition: tdkr is following beowulf surprise close)

we also much approved o' the 2012 version. 

so a bit more than three.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Funnily enough, when I saw the 13th Warrior in the theaters, it wasn't the same version that I saw later on the DVD.  There were a few scenes in it from the book that were left out of the DVD (like the scene where they test one of the warriors wounds to see if his wound is fatal by pouring a liquid over it and seeing it bubble, knowing the wound has cut into his stomach and predicting his death) or that were changed (parts of the confrontation with the Mother of the Wendol), so I can only imagine we might have seen one of the pre-reshoots versions, or an early cut of the final film sent out by accident or they continued editing the film with that result ending up on DVD.

Sadly its been so long, I can't remember all the differences (might have to ask my brother who was at the same theater showing).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 2 weeks later...

For some of those early shots of Dune...

Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto

EVj1OqPX0AIfvNR?format=jpg&name=900x900

Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho

EVj1EpsWAAAJ3hX?format=jpg&name=large

Josh Brolin's Gurney Hallek

EVj0S0VXQAIVqFM?format=jpg&name=large

Timothee Chalamet and Rebecca Ferguson as Paul and Lady Jessica

EVjzlKIXsAIBwez?format=jpg&name=large

Edit: And this is what happens when you make a post bleary eyed in the morning, you fail to recognise someone had already connected it in the thread...

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Glass - Wow.

I enjoyed Unbreakable when it came out 20 years ago, but I never expected it to turn into this. Split was also really good, but so very different. But the way he brought them together was just amazing. This is a seriously ambitious movie making long play. I teared up big time at the end. 

• Like 1

Coincidentally I saw Glass last week, and also enjoyed it a lot. Kind of wish I'd waited until I'd managed to track down a copy of Unbreakable after finishing it since I probably missed out a bit on the background stuff (I did see Split a couple of months ago, and liked it way way more than I expected to).

Finally got around to seeing Redline.  Was fun to watch, basically a popcorn flick.  I liked the art style as well.   Now I want to play Rollcage, though.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have just watched Rise of Skywalker.

I am not sure I have the words.   Good to decent acting. Luscious visuals. An orchestral score that has your emotions hitting those points even while your mind is going WTF??  Some of the most implausible and silly space battle setups I've seen in decades of watching sci-fi, and plot jumps that ignore previous canon (and I'm talking the officially recognised Disney Lucasarts SW canon).

There were some interesting points, and some story beats that went nicely, but then something would skew so hard left.  I am.. befuddled.

3 hours ago, injurai said:

Yeah but those force powers were sick!

The Force powers they only remembered to use when it was dramatically appropriate..or they just forgot when they were in other situations the same powers would have been damn helpful and solved the situation without all the stres..? ;)

1 hour ago, injurai said:

Please don't look at the new Star Wars films with too much scrutiny, you might cause our own universe to collapse. I beg of you!

Yep, best to keep your space fantasy both fantastical and spacey. :)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, injurai said:

Please don't look at the new Star Wars films with too much scrutiny, you might cause our own universe to collapse. I beg of you!

There's scrutiny..and there's "holding basic logic together with previous SW films..."  ;)

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I thought they were all pretty awful at this and am not sure the last movie is the worst offender

On one hand Rise of Skywalker was the only Star Wars film of the new trilogy I wasn't bored at some point. On the other that was achieved by cramming three movies worth of stuff happening into an incoherent mess that I only enjoyed so well because The Last Jedi killed the past for me.

What we really need is a Star Wars / Transformers crossover directed by Michael "Jar Jar" Baybrams. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

If we set that in the Kelvin timeline it could still be directed by Baybrams, would have younger actors and a Trek 'verse that fits much better with the description. See... things come together anyway.

(Also, why does the Kindle edition of that book cost 19€ on Amazon?)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 3/26/2020 at 6:02 AM, Bartimaeus said:

The actual ballerina stuff was fine. It's just that...I do not find Natalie Portman a believable or compelling actress in the slightest

You just need to find the right script, the right cast, the right director etc... well, also happens to be one of my all time favourite movies

Edit: I think both Jean Reno and Gary Oldman are underrated, although I can see why the latter gets cast as villain. He does villain good! (checkout The Fifth Element for stellar villainy)

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

39 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Gary Oldman is pretty well regarded as one of the best actors of his generation. Accolades came a bit later in life, but I'm not sure I'd call him underrated. I think Jean Reno is a big deal in France.

And to think Oldman almost retired from acting back in the early 90's because he thought he was being typecast and his career wasn't really going anywhere. Then he got the offer to play Dracula and he was all "Well, when you get asked to play one of the great bad guys in literature, you have to say yes and give it your all."  (to paraphrase).

Although it's also interesting to see that in later years, he'd say that Dracula wasn't a 'bucket list' role to play so much, but the chance to work with Coppola that really pulled him back into it.

Quirky how different interviews at different times will come across.

Edited by Raithe

Battle Beyond the Stars wasnt Star Wars but it was a fun riff on THE SEVEN SAMURAI, but in Space (with Robert Vaughan playing more or less the same character he played in that other THE SEVEN SAMURAI remake, THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN...)

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man