The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

@algroth

Parasite (2019).

9z37Bh9.gif

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It was pretty darned good. A friend and I both watched it and we both agreed that it was not really a movie that would be in our interests (and therefore we're both automatically kind of predisposed against it), but it still managed to be great.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

16 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

It was pretty darned good. A friend and I both watched it and we both agreed that it was not really a movie that would be in our interests (and therefore we're both automatically kind of predisposed against it), but it still managed to be great.

The way it blends and shifts genres is really impressive, Hitch****ian almost, and all the while it creates a rather dense and very interesting observation of class dynamics and so on. It's really impressive, both thought-provoking and really great fun. I quite liked this breakdown of it (warning: spoilers for someof Bong's other films):

Also, whilst not strictly as good or as unique a genre blender as Parasite, Knives Out shares a few similarities in feel and in the way it handles class dynamics, and is also great fun. Well worth watching for more films of this style!

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Frozen II. I got through the first fifteen minutes and pretty much wanted to shoot myself and ended up pausing it. Has anybody that's seen this have any words on whether it gets better after that? Does this have to be exclusively watched with little girls (i.e. my nieces) to enjoy? I always try to watch these types of movies by myself the first time so I'm mentally prepared before watching them with anyone else (because I'm weird like that), but I'm finding this really painful.

Edited by Bartimaeus

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Frozen II. I got through the first fifteen minutes and pretty much wanted to shoot myself and ended up pausing it. Has anybody that's seen this have any words on whether it gets better after that? Does this have to be exclusively watched with little girls (i.e. my nieces) to enjoy? I always try to watch these types of movies by myself the first time so I'm mentally prepared before watching them with anyone else (because I'm weird like that), but I'm finding this really painful.

I assume that you must...

...let it go?

I like my low-hanging fruits, go away

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Saw Venom. It was "free."

Was this supposed to be a comedy? Because that's about all I got from it -a few moments of absurd hilarity. Plot and typical one-note chr. elements jumped all over the place, cheap tricks re: withholding/not showing to try to "surprise" (failed at that) and including a really poor, short-form and glossed over reason for why Venom suddenly wants to

stay on Earth/help out all of a sudden. Heck they never really established he was a "bad guy", just a hungry one. I guess Venom didn't want to be under the bigger-bad's thumb anymore, more than anything?  >.> 

I mean ok, whatever. I did mildly enjoy watching vehicles slam around SF's hilly streets. C-.

I've liked Tom Hardy ever since I saw him play the Romulan/"young Picard clone" in that STNG movie, but I didn't feel like he was a good fit for the human half here.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 3/6/2020 at 8:21 PM, Hurlshot said:

Spenser Confidential was everything I was looking for. Bummed it wasn't a series, but it was great as a movie.

the real star o' the movie were spenser's buick riviera. am embarrassed to admit am not certain if it were an 83, 84 or 85.  is easy to forget the luxury coupe rivieras in the early/mid 80s were selling slight more expensive than the bmw 3-series, and were out performing the german cars as well.

always wanted a 79 riviera, but spenser's ride is drool-worthy as well. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I saw "Lighthouse."  Movie reviews made me interested and the two man cast was a factor.

That was ... one really really weird movie. Starts off a bit surreal and maybe Hitchokian, turns into creepy-surreal, then at some point one is likely to start thinking one has the eventual end figured out, but by the actual final shot, one can't even explain it. Is it good? I'm not sure. It's full of symbolism, intense acting performances and mythology (maybe?) so it could appeal in that way.  But I dunno, I feel like it's not good or bad.  It's just ... weird.  :mellow:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tales from Earthsea (2006). Terrible and inexplicable writing. Bizarre and unlikable characters. Film moves at a snail's pace - nothing ever seems to happen, which is all the more unforgivable when there's absolutely nothing going on character or even action-wise. Decent animation and forgettable music is about all I can say for it.

Ocean Waves (1993). Solid. Better than I expected given its reputation. Although it had somewhat confused characters and plot, it still managed to be decently entertaining and I was probably only annoyed once or twice (compare to the above, where I was annoyed about 5 minutes in and it never let up).

I've finally watched every Ghibli movie.

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I've finally watched every Ghibli movie.

Which ones did you like the most? I've seen Spirited Away, Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle and Kiki's Delivery Service. Liked them all, and in that order pretty much.

9 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Which ones did you like the most? I've seen Spirited Away, Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle and Kiki's Delivery Service. Liked them all, and in that order pretty much.

In this order: Whisper of the Heart...Only Yesterday, My Neighbor Totoro....Grave of the Fireflies, Howl's Moving Castle...Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind...Pom Poko, Porco Rosso. Everything else besides Earthsea and Arrietty (...and Ponyo and Marnie to a lesser extent) I enjoyed, but wouldn't necessarily say were favorites.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I rented/started watching "Doctor Sleep."  Novel unread by me - I never had a huge hankering to know what happened to Danny when he was 40ish.

The movie starts off fairly well, mood and visuals, although the beginnings of the "bad people group" makes me scratch my head a bit story/lore wise. "Shining" vampires I guess?  About 30 minutes into it, Bruce Greenwood suddenly popped up which made me happy I hope he doesn't get killed off. Then I paused the movie 20 minutes later and became distracted away. I wonder if will ultimately justify its 2.5 hour length...I might finish it tomorrow.

Finished "Doctor Sleep."

Offhand I'd give it a B- for its genre.  A bit above average for its type but that's it.
I remained unimpressed with the "shining vampires", they were a weak threat as setup, although the actress playing the leader was good/fun to watch, chewing scenery.  I didn't like the ending all that much either.  The film doesn't make me want to rush out and read  the book.  I probably liked it better than Kubrick's Shining tho.  😛 

Edit:  I also saw the recent version of Pet Semetary. Better than that older one by a tad, but still pretty lackluster.  Didn't mind the switchup.  C-.
John Lithgow was fun.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Black Swan (2010).

it sucked lmao

amazon prime has a few danny kaye titles including the inspector general and the court jester.  

no matter how ridiculous, we can't keep self from smiling when we see danny kaye stuff. seems like a good time for a few o' his  movies.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)