RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

To be actually specific, an algorythm will look through reviews and when it sees "off-topic review bombs" (ie, the devs tweeted they like Mars over Snickers so Snicker fans start boycotting the game) it'll flag it for supposedly actual human evaluation and if those guys find the reviews inapproriate, will disconnect those reviews from the aggregate graph. The reviews themselves will still be there to read and "enjoy" or you can switch so the graph incorporates the bombs as well.

Or so they said it'll work, we'll see once it's implemented.

From what I’ve seen or read about that thing, is that rating the game 3/10 because it has DeNuvo or other kind of intrusive DRM, is currently also considered as off-topic, and a reason for removing the review.

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/google-jumps-into-gaming-with-google-stadia-streaming-service/

Google Stadia will run a selection of existing PC games on Google's centralized servers, taking in controller inputs and sending back video and audio using Google's network of low latency data centers. The company revealed a new Google-produced controller, along with a game-streaming interface that revolves around a "play now" button. Press this on any web browser, and gameplay will begin "in as quick as five seconds... with no download, no patch, no update, and no install."

Owning things even less.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

To be actually specific, an algorythm will look through reviews and when it sees "off-topic review bombs" (ie, the devs tweeted they like Mars over Snickers so Snicker fans start boycotting the game) it'll flag it for supposedly actual human evaluation and if those guys find the reviews inapproriate, will disconnect those reviews from the aggregate graph. The reviews themselves will still be there to read and "enjoy" or you can switch so the graph incorporates the bombs as well.

Or so they said it'll work, we'll see once it's implemented.

From what I’ve seen or read about that thing, is that rating the game 3/10 because it has DeNuvo or other kind of intrusive DRM, is currently also considered as off-topic, and a reason for removing the review.

That would be a bummer, but I can also see their point of view. Denuvo is crap that shouldn't be in games but rating an otherwise great game 3/10 isn't fair either I'd say.

Valve would have a point about DRM/ EULA being off topic review bombing if it were possible to buy the game in question without the DRM/ EULA. If you have to buy the game with it, it's part of the product and by definition not off topic. It's like having a delivery driver punch you while dropping off your new dish washer- technically, you did get the dish washer delivered, so you 'have' to rate the delivery service 9/10 by Valve's logic and anything else is a negative review bomb irrelevant to the fact you got your new dish washer. Frankly, this policy is their most direct response to Epic Store, and as always with Valve it's the lowest effort possible response

I do love their doublespeak used to justify culling DRM/ EULA discussion though. We're not really saying your views on DRM are irrelevant and lead to complaints from publishers that you're negging their game! You, the enlightened DRM/ EULA concerned types are the well informed elites and we take your concerns very seriously! Unfortunately a lot of the unwashed masses in the form of the general steam user will be confused by your enormous intellect, so we must protect them from confusion by muting your views because we're just so nice that way!

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 4

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/google-jumps-into-gaming-with-google-stadia-streaming-service/

Google Stadia will run a selection of existing PC games on Google's centralized servers, taking in controller inputs and sending back video and audio using Google's network of low latency data centers. The company revealed a new Google-produced controller, along with a game-streaming interface that revolves around a "play now" button. Press this on any web browser, and gameplay will begin "in as quick as five seconds... with no download, no patch, no update, and no install."

Owning things even less.

I'm still not convinced that they really solved the input lag issue. Sure when you have a connection that can give you a theoretical 20 to 30ms round trip from the button press to the video reaction on screen you're not going to feel much difference in most games - except for high precision platforming and really fast shooters.

But people connected through ASDL or LTE? Eh. Sure you have the bandwidth to stream the video, but the latency on these services is more often than not dreadful.

And of course there's the huge issue of ownership/licensing/etc. Proponents of game streaming usually come up with Netflix as a defense here but that's much different. Outside of a few films you really enjoy who's watching and rewatching films all the time? Matrix and In Bruges was gone from our local Netflix library due to licensing issues for a wile. Now they're back.

I missed both films a total of zero times. Not having a game to replay when I feel like it? Much, much different.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I wonder if Google has solved cold fusion along with lag. Can't wait to let Uncle Googie not monitor my gaming as well as search, email, browsing, cloud service, phone, images, apps etc.

Amazon's forthcoming game service will probably be more successful, this smells like a G+ more than Android/ Gmail/ Google Search. Guess it's good news for AMD though.

Given how famously poor broadband is in Australia I have to wonder if Stadia is going to be a wash there. Hell, I can imagine bandwidth caps being a real damper on its viability in the US.

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I wonder if I'll find newer-graphic System Shock as unbearably suspenseful as the old-graphic System Shock. I mean, in that teaser I actually laughed when the digital face come up. Not even creepy. The rest looks ok/typical tho.

Edit: for some reason I find "uber awesome" 3d graphics not scary. Rougher graphics with awesome soundtrack can still creep me out tho. I'm not sure why. Uncanny valley related, or not leaving enough to imagination, or ....

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Edit: for some reason I find "uber awesome" 3d graphics not scary. Rougher graphics with awesome soundtrack can still creep me out tho. I'm not sure why. Uncanny valley related, or not leaving enough to imagination, or ....

The video I posted is from the original System Shock remake which Nightdive Studios are working on. They recieved a huge backlash from the fans a while ago for switching to UE4 because it made the game look 'clean'. They promised to fix it and the video I have posted is the result of their recent work. It looks great.

The System Shock 3 teaser looks funny though, I gotta agree, but it is still a bit early to judge.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Looks like Disney is reviving Lucasfilm Games.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/lucasfilm-games-revival

• Like 1

Tatooine Jones and the Fate of Alderaan

Tatooine is wrong, he's named after a dog after all.

So, Jar-Jar Jones?

R2 Jones?

Rancor Jones? I kinda like this one.

Practice Droid Jones?

Oh my god in the third game Jones teams up with Darth Connery Vader to go on an adventure-comedy romp against the Empire. I'm digging this!

I don't blame them one bit because aside from that one mobile game EA has **** the bed with the Star Wars license.

And Disney has not **** the bed with Star Wars franchise? I have no faith in them producing anything good...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Tatooine Jones and the Fate of Alderaan

Tatooine is wrong, he's named after a dog after all.

So, Jar-Jar Jones?

R2 Jones?

Rancor Jones? I kinda like this one.

Practice Droid Jones?

Oh my god in the third game Jones teams up with Darth Connery Vader to go on an adventure-comedy romp against the Empire. I'm digging this!

Jar-Jar Jones... reading that name gave me serious shivers :o

Anyway back to Random News.

New Yakuza game in the making.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/03/20/a-new-yakuza-game-featuring-ichiban-kasuga-is-in-development-for-playstation-4/

Also if you have more than 20, you can enter contest for becoming the main model for the game ;)

Grand Theft Corellia

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't blame them one bit because aside from that one mobile game EA has **** the bed with the Star Wars license.

And Disney has not **** the bed with Star Wars franchise? I have no faith in them producing anything good...

I meant in their recent games not everything Star Wars. I complain about the movies enough in the movie threads. I don't know about you guys but when I heard EA was getting the Star Wars license for a few years I was expecting more than 2 BattleDuties and mobile games. They cancelled all the interesting games and wouldn't let BioWare make another KOTOR after they supposedly asked or really reinvest into SWTOR enough to have content come out around the release of the movies.

Free games updated 3/4/21

If it does come to pass it will be another game I wait a year after release to purchase. Honestly, with the exception of competitive multiplayer games, waiting a year to purchase is a healthy habit for my wallet with no real downside.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks