Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10612 posts

Start of old thread
End of old thread

I have games installed from almost all clients. Uplay, Origin, GOG, Steam and Epic Store. It isn't optimal, but it's not the end of the world. I also have some non-DRM Humble Store games.

I don't have many, but I also bought some games directly from some developer websites.

A bit in the same boat. I've got GOG, Steam and Origin games (the latter being a few Bioware games).

Also a lot of games from Gamersgate, although I guess download clients and updaters in the end won out,

• Vitalis likes this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9060 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

^ Still just Steam for me ... I mean I buy games from GoG too, but I don't use their client. I don't have any serious issues with other clients existing (I have no loyalty mantra with Steam, they're just the one I used first - because, Obsidian/FO:NV, which for at least a year was the ONLY game I had on Steam), but I just can't personally be bothered.

There are very few games on the other clients/digital store options I care about anyway and I can do without them well enough. I suppose if there are ever dozens of games on other clients that I really really wanted, I might bother then. In the meantime...I just don't think about it is all. I barely think about Steam either. :disguise:

• SonicMage117 likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3200 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

^ Still just Steam for me ... I mean I buy games from GoG too

Same for me, I'm on everything but Steam will always be my go to for pc gaming. Nothing will match it social aspect, which let's face it, is just as important in games as storywriting and gameplay.

Plus, Steam having the biggest, most diverse and versatile catalog puts it even more on the forefront for me, rather than having a catalog that only caters to specific demographic.

Seems like the Game News thread has turnwd into yet another Steam vs World thread, not uncommon but we can repeat our likes and dislikes for the 100th time I suppose :)

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7457 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

We interrupt this video game client/store flame war to bring you this game that comes out on Tuesday:

Now back to your regularly scheduled flame war.

• Malcador and injurai like this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9060 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I haven't caught up with the previous thread in a while, was there a flame war? :p

I did use YouTube last night to look at a fair number of "upcoming 2019/2019 releases" and most of the ones I saw were, imo, same ol' same ol. Nothing that just leaps out at me, at least.

I also noticed that Subnatica has a new EA for basically Subnatica:frozen version. I still haven't played the first one, but I do like the ice environment more than anything tropical-ish.

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Gamers rose up and won!!!!

Always amused at how long these raging YouTube neckbeards spend to say so little.

Edited by Malcador, 03 February 2019 - 07:18 PM.

• SadExchange and Azdeus like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3200 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
See folks? It pays for gamers to get angry and speak out. Similar thing is going on with other devs/publishers who did the Epic excluvity deal. We pretty much knew this was going to happen though.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2644 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Always amused at how long these raging YouTube neckbeards spend to say so little.

10 minutes plus -> higher monetisation tier.

• Malcador and Azdeus like this

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7522 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

We interrupt this video game client/store flame war to bring you this game that comes out on Tuesday:

Now back to your regularly scheduled flame war.

So uh, what is this? :p

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hmmm, I wonder what will happen when the next epic game store exclusive is announced...

*evil laughter*
  • Mamoulian War likes this

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2345 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Well, generate more discussion all across the internet, meaning more free PR for Epic store

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yes, yes...but what if Microsoft and Nintendo were to team up:

https://nintendoever...ming-on-switch/

:grin:

#thegoldenageofconsolegaming

marelooke

marelooke

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • Steam:marelooke
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Throwing a fit about someone throwing a fit. It was funny to watch the entire thing to be sure.

Jim Sterling, of all people, covered the thing in the most level headed way (and also articulated quite well what the problem is with the entire Epic deal without even having to go into the total lack of features of the Epic store or terrible reputation of Epic and its current owners).

It seems Jim also was the only one that didn't feel the need to drum up additional drama by attributing a ragepost by a single dev to the entire studio.

Either way, nothing's changed for those of us not interested in supporting underhanded business deals.

EDIT: in case anyone actually cares. It turns out the 4a Games apology for the raging dev was actually written by their publisher as per: https://www.reddit.c..._store/efojo7s/

Edited by marelooke, 04 February 2019 - 03:14 AM.

• Mamoulian War and Azdeus like this

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Someone should be reasonable and tell that single dev that he doesn't get to decide ****, so it's extra stupid to throw a fit...

But the fact that their publisher has made a unhealthy decision still stands and it makes me want to...stay away from the game. I'll buy it once it's 15 bucks or so.

So yeah, I love it when devs/publishers make a purchase that much easier to deal with.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1489 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

well the most sad thing aroud this that devs will be the ones punished by lowered sales and publisher will be blaming them for making bad game... Well should have thinked twice before making that deal with thme in first place

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Such is the world of video game development. You want to make a game, you need a publisher and guess what: you have to dance to their tune because they are investing actual money in your project.

Decisions, decisions...if only you could restart life with a new life+, just like the Yakuza games.
  • Mamoulian War likes this

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5327 posts

Publishers are for chumps. 

laughs in Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2920 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

moron video

Why do you keep posting **** videos from this moron? He's almost on SM117 level >_<

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2301 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

• Hurlshot likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic