The Political Thread - Hobbes Edition

Amentep

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ted Cruz wins Texas! Far better than the alternatives :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The Dems take the House, the Pubs extend their majority in the Senate. That suits me just fine. Now they will paralyze each other in gridlock for the next two years and we can get on with living our lives relatively free of their interference. The sniping and name calling that will go on as they all stew in their own venom up in Sodom-on-the-Potomac will just be the icing on the cake. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Nevermind, it is so. And so shall it be!

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Yes I think the overall results were fine, both sides gained in there own ways

But I predict some legal inquiries and requests coming Trumps way, like him producing his tax records  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Good job Mama Merkel, thanks for bringing back Third Reich:

https://www.dw.com/en/germans-increasingly-prejudiced-against-foreigners-muslims/a-46180880

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

^I know this sounds silly but its a legit question. So the guy in the picture in the above link has his right arm raised and his right hand is in a fist. If that right hand would have been flat, then that becomes a nazi salute(?), which afaik, will get you locked up in Germany. Can the guy in the picture get arrested or thats not technically a nazi salute?

^I know this sounds silly but its a legit question. So the guy in the picture in the above link has his right arm raised and his right hand is in a fist. If that right hand would have been flat, then that becomes a nazi salute(?), which afaik, will get you locked up in Germany. Can the guy in the picture get arrested or thats not technically a nazi salute?

I am not german but I think its not technically nazi salute (even tho it never was originally nazi salute but Roman salute)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Before the Nazis took it, it was an American flag-salute as America was modeled off the Roman Republic.

For real? Never heard that one. Still I can see abandoning historical symbols because they have been appropriated by folks I'd rather not be associated with

220px-Battle_flag_of_the_Confederate_Sta

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Before the Nazis took it, it was an American flag-salute as America was modeled off the Roman Republic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellamy_salute

Funny image out of context.

Students_pledging_allegiance_to_the_Amer

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellamy_salute

Funny image out of context.

Students_pledging_allegiance_to_the_Amer

Is it that usuall 'how high can your dog jump?' :)

https://www.dw.com/en/germans-increasingly-prejudiced-against-foreigners-muslims/a-46180880

Isn't that more thanks to Merkel's opposition or is logic that Germans have become more prejudiced against foreigner because Merkel has been too accepting of foreigners or that Merkel has actually preached anti-foreign message even though people accuse her to be too accepting of foreigners? 

• Like 1

Isn't that more thanks to Merkel's opposition or is logic that Germans have become more prejudiced against foreigner because Merkel has been too accepting of foreigners or that Merkel has actually preached anti-foreign message even though people accuse her to be too accepting of foreigners? 

Depends on how you look at it I suppose but lets be clear, no matter your view on it, truth is - if there were not mass immigration to germany - largely supported by Merkel at least at start, there would be hardly anti immigration tendencies, Agree?

Depends on how you look at it I suppose but lets be clear, no matter your view on it, truth is - if there were not mass immigration to germany - largely supported by Merkel at least at start, there would be hardly anti immigration tendencies, Agree?

It is possible, but anti immigration especially prejudice against foreigners has been on rise all over even in countries which have seen quite little of immigration. So it is difficult to say how much fearmongering against immigrants there would have been without Merkel's decisions, especially when you take in consideration that immigration debate in USA would have most likely still been as fierce as it has been now and that Merkel's policies aren't behind the mass immigration from Africa which is cause behind problems in Southern Europe which is source for lots of the anti-immigration sentiment. Also lots of anti-immigration sentiment behind brexit was caused by Polish workers, also in here Finland big sunk of the anti-immigration sentiment comes from idea that cheap workers from the Estonia and Poland will replace Finnish workers, that sentiment long before refugee crisis and Merkel's decisions.  So I would say that Merkel and her decisions are just easy targets for sentiments and developments that would have existed without her.

It is possible, but anti immigration especially prejudice against foreigners has been on rise all over even in countries which have seen quite little of immigration. So it is difficult to say how much fearmongering against immigrants there would have been without Merkel's decisions, especially when you take in consideration that immigration debate in USA would have most likely still been as fierce as it has been now and that Merkel's policies aren't behind the mass immigration from Africa which is cause behind problems in Southern Europe which is source for lots of the anti-immigration sentiment. Also lots of anti-immigration sentiment behind brexit was caused by Polish workers, also in here Finland big sunk of the anti-immigration sentiment comes from idea that cheap workers from the Estonia and Poland will replace Finnish workers, that sentiment long before refugee crisis and Merkel's decisions.  So I would say that Merkel and her decisions are just easy targets for sentiments and developments that would have existed without her.

Well people don't live in bubble of their won country. You don't have to wait to have problems in your country to recognize them in another. Also there is free travel in EU. I know few people who told me that they are for sure not going to Paris in any near future for example. Can't blame them.

Yes, I suppose it is easy to be accepting of immigration when there aren't many immigrants around. Doesn't really justify prejudice though.

German long term welfare (which by far and large is the only thing most refugees can look forward to) aims to perpetually lock people in subsistence to serve as a source of cheap labor, not as support beam to help them rise back to their feet. You end up utterly dependent on the state, unable to particiapte in any form of social life and there's no silver lining or light at the end of the tunnel where everything becomes better if you work hard and improve - which is hard enough as it is without the state actively pushing them down.

Modern serfdom, in the end - Guard Dog's worst nightmares come true.

The people you see on these pictures are afraid that what little they have left will be taken away by foreigners. Their fears aren't completely unfounded. German serfs at least know about their rights and have legal representation or unions attempting to make their lot better. Immigrants fleeing death and destruction or starvation most likely don't care if they're illegally paid below minimum wage.

It's easy to look at them from the outside and wonder why they all look degenerate, how they can be prejudiced or downright racist and why they vote for parties that promise them a better future and a common enemy to rally against. The truth is that they have nothing else to look forward to. Nothing else to do.

They're right to think that Germany failed them. Right to think that Mutti Angela failed them. It's just not because of all the refugees. That's just a cheap way to unify and direct an otherwise aimless disillusionnment. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yes, I suppose it is easy to be accepting of immigration when there aren't many immigrants around. Doesn't really justify prejudice though.

Actually I think the reverse is more the case; the places in the US with the greatest backlash against immigration tend to be the ones with the least exposure to immigrants, whereas suburban and even rural places like Erie, PA that have taken them into the fold come around to them. Perhaps the "white male deaths of despair" would not be so prevalent a phenomenon if those disaffected populations learned the joys of shawarma, pho, and tacos de pescado. 

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46132348

Edit : Well not fired, resigned at request of Trump

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Excerpt from a piece that I found particularly noteworthy:

Democrats once expected a battle against a “three-headed trident,” as Sena put it, of GOP legislative accomplishments: a tax bill, an infrastructure package and a repeal of Obamacare. (Only the tax law actually materialized.) And despite Hillary Clinton’s strength with moderate, well-educated suburbanites in 2016, some Democrats doubted they could win over those longtime Republican voters down-ticket.

That skepticism began to wear off for officials at House Majority PAC, a super PAC with close ties to Pelosi, when it partnered with the Democratic consulting firm Global Strategy Group to conduct a series of conversations with suburban voters who had previously voted for House Republicans but were open to Democrats in 2018.

The group had held online discussions with 25 suburban voters followed by in-person focus groups with a similar set of mostly white, college-educated voters in Orange County, Calif., and the Minneapolis suburbs. Even though participants liked some of Trump’s policies and generally credited him for the strong economy, his abrasive style bothered them. “Money can’t buy you class,” one female participant commented.

Worth remembering that in 2016 Clinton managed to take Orange County, an upper-middle class conservative stronghold that hasn't voted for a Democratic presidential candidate since FDR.
Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling