RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

Blarghagh

This deals with the internal conditions over at Blizzard and helps explain some of the recent happenings around the business. It really makes a lot of things clear. It mostly deals with employee compensation in relation to Blizzard's recent performance and all the implications that follow.

Gotta love how homeboy there prefaces what is essentially a huge talk on income inequality by saying "I don't have a problem with people making as much money as they earn". How's that cognitive dissonance working out for you chief?

Seriously, someone link the "reserve labor army" wiki article to this guy. Of course, he's never going to change his mind about "the left" becuz muh free market and idpol. What a joke.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Why would a fantasy book change his mind about politics? It's like saying reading Lord of the Ring changes your mind about government.

It might, if you are an orc living in Mordor.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Under age gambling in UK has quadrupled over last two years. Their gambling commision points at the culprit.

Jim sterling’s take on the article. NSFW.

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Wonder if the high level of gambling advertising in the UK also matters. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wonder if the high level of gambling advertising in the UK also matters. 

Yeah. A family member works in the local advertisement oversight agency, and they are seriously fuming over the huge increase in online (actual) gambling advertising in the last few years. I think the idea is to curb that **** down to the level of traditional gambling ads (i.e. none at all), but once the cat's out of the bag...

I'm not sure I'd point at lootboxes as a significant contributor to the increase in bona fide gambling, either. Sounds a bit like the whole "gateway drug" thing with weed.

Not that Star Traders: Frontiers updates are particularly newsworthy considering they come out on weekly basis, but I really dig this and now wish a lot more games implemented it:

Setting up Permadeath

Permadeath settings have never allowed Save Slots which unfortunately has removed the ability to use Save Slots to store the setup of your game, crew and officers. We've changed these rules to now allow Save Slots for permadeath games within the first 12 weeks (120 Turns). This gives you ample time to run the first Arbiter Mission, promote or fire officers, assign outfits to your crew, name your crew and whatever type of "setup" you like to do as a new captain. Then, save the permadeath game to a Save Slot before 210.15 AE! If your captain is lost to the void or takes a terrible wrong turn, you can always come back to this early setup Save Slot for a quick restore.

So basically, you get an extremely short timeframe to resolve the tutorial quest, set your **** up and do all the chores you tend to do in new game of complex games like these, and have a starting point for permadeath runs where you don't have to do all of this stuff again. Simple and exceptionally clever solution to an old problem.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 3

NMS Visions

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Some credible info about Diablo 3 and Diablo 4 development at Blizzard, courtesy of the poster Fusion at Battlenet, and of course Kotaku:

https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195

• DIII originally planned to have two expansions but since it was perceived a "failure" after launch Blizzard decided to scrap the second one before seeing how Reaper of Souls performed to jump straight into D4 development.
  • D4 started in 2014 as Project hades. over the should point of view, dark souls inspired title. Was scraped around 2016.
  • D4's second iteration code named Fenris started around 2016. Want to make it dark, scary atmosphere like DII, remove cartoony graphics. Not sure if they want to do over the shoulder or isometric camera. (how can this even be an argument)
  • much more. see below.
    Even as speculation this already relieves me so much.
    Pretty sad that this journalist has provided us more information than Blizzard has though.
Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 6

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

seems like Paradox are WOKE AF, cant stop laughting:

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I legit watched that stream start to finish, and I'm not sure what you mean. Devs playing space commies have mostly been making a joke of the whole thing, what with the anarchist police state shenanigans and all, as have those playing megacorps.

Today's stream had Wiz jokingly suggesting that space corps are evil, but if you don't think that profit-driven interstellar entities bound by nothing but the military might of their neighbors can be anything but evil, I have a bridge to sell you...

i was joking, i like hot they poke everything, they mentioned something about one of commie empires being hell bend on gender studies :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Some credible info about Diablo 3 and Diablo 4 development at Blizzard, courtesy of the poster Fusion at Battlenet, and of course Kotaku:

• DIII originally planned to have two expansions but since it was perceived a "failure" after launch Blizzard decided to scrap the second one before seeing how Reaper of Souls performed to jump straight into D4 development.
  • D4 started in 2014 as Project hades. over the should point of view, dark souls inspired title. Was scraped around 2016.
  • D4's second iteration code named Fenris started around 2016. Want to make it dark, scary atmosphere like DII, remove cartoony graphics. Not sure if they want to do over the shoulder or isometric camera. (how can this even be an argument)
  • much more. see below.

Pretty sad that this journalist has provided us more information than Blizzard has though.

The parts about Activision influence near the end are really depressing though. Based on my prior experience of being part of companies that got assimilated I'd say it might very well be the beginning of the end for the Blizzard we've known so far.

i was joking, i like hot they poke everything, they mentioned something about one of commie empires being hell bend on gender studies :)

Sorry, I didn't get your meaning. Their commie RPing is really on point as they have the biggest alliance and have accomplished exactly diddly squat. And on the other side of the spectrum you have some guy playing a megacorp that's about buying up slaves in the galactic market and making them into board members and xenophilia (in the alien hybridization sense). No space nazis though, which is kinda weak, even though purifiers weren't explicitly disallowed.

The dev clash is entertaining to watch as they are emphasizing roleplay (and memes galore), but the fact that they keep routinely getting desyncs is worrying. This has been a problem for a while and it's starting to look like they don't know how to fix it for good. Performance also is less than... stellar *cough*, and they haven't reached even mid game yet.

• much more. see below.

The parts about Activision influence near the end are really depressing though. Based on my prior experience of being part of companies that got assimilated I'd say it might very well be the beginning of the end for the Blizzard we've known so far.

Why is everyone acting as if the merger was recent? It happened ten years ago!

• Like 1

[*]D4 started in 2014 as Project hades. over the should point of view, dark souls inspired title. Was scraped around 2016.

[*]D4's second iteration code named Fenris started around 2016. Want to make it dark, scary atmosphere like DII, remove cartoony graphics. Not sure if they want to do over the shoulder or isometric camera. (how can this even be an argument)

So they wanted to go for a cartoon-ish Dark Souls experience with over the shoulder camera in Project Hades?!

Suddenly, that mobile game doesn't seem half bad anymore.

Edit: Good lord! Brace yourselves: https://www.vg247.com/2018/11/22/blizzard-working-on-pokemon-go-style-warcraft-game/

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Seems like Activision got completely bonkers on Blizz, well we enjoyed it while it lasted. As I already mentioned last game from them I enjoyed was D2 so no big loss for me

• Like 1

[*]D4 started in 2014 as Project hades. over the should point of view, dark souls inspired title. Was scraped around 2016.

[*]D4's second iteration code named Fenris started around 2016. Want to make it dark, scary atmosphere like DII, remove cartoony graphics. Not sure if they want to do over the shoulder or isometric camera. (how can this even be an argument)

So they wanted to go for a cartoon-ish Dark Souls experience with over the shoulder camera in Project Hades?!

Suddenly, that mobile game doesn't seem half bad anymore.

Edit: Good lord! Brace yourselves: https://www.vg247.com/2018/11/22/blizzard-working-on-pokemon-go-style-warcraft-game/

Well the cartoonish graphics and over the shoulder camera worked for World of Warcraft. Really, the only thing that sounds inherently bad about it is the cartoon graphics.

Now, the pokemon go style Warcraft game sounds like crap regardless of what they do about it simply because pokemon go is inherently boring/dangerous.

its not surprising tho in relation to latest comments from Blizz that they are going to focus on mobile games  :shrugz: 

• much more. see below.

Why is everyone acting as if the merger was recent? It happened ten years ago!

I think you missed the part where I've been on the receiving end of something like this a few times.

Depending on management (of the bought company, usually), it can take quite a while before stuff starts trickling through from the "parent" company. Usually once it does it goes downhill pretty fast, relatively speaking at least, these are still "corporations". Sounds like Blizzard's management managed to hold off the boat for a very long time but I expect things to decline at an accelerating rate from this point on out.

And the reason why it usually goes downhill fast is that once the culture starts changing for the worse the employees with the option to leave for greener pastures tend to do exactly that. These are usually some of the most talented, or at least well known, individuals as they have the easiest time getting jobs elsewhere. Resulting in the company running worse than before, as core employees are now missing, resulting in more involvement of the parent company which results a nice downward spiral.

Edited by marelooke

I think even if Diablo 4 would be like D2 again, at highest I would play through it only once... just like D3. I've grown out of that gameplay and it isn't as much fun to me anymore as 15 or what years ago.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."