E3 2018 Thread

Very corny, 80's-ish presentation with bloody deaths and cyberpunk type atmosphere. I felt like I was in the theater watching Terminator 2 or Hackers once again.

The Sony presentation is in an hour...

Ghosts of Tushymi is going to blow everything out of the water. Just wait and see. E3's always make me a proud PS4 owner.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It'll be hard for Sony to top Microsoft's conference. In terms of games, Microsoft came out guns a-blazing. Still, in terms of actual substance, many of those games aren't exclusive to Xbox consoles, if I'm correct. They definitely gave a great performance, which is what I want from E3, but I'm not sure if I have any intention of getting myself an Xbox. Still, E3 is about the glamor and excitement and I gotta say, it's delivering so far.

Yes lol I was looking right at the word "Square" when I write that too lmao I'm too excited for Sony apparently

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

William Gibson was unimpressed  - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-11-william-gibson-was-bang-on-about-cyberpunk-2077-and-grand-theft-auto

Well, can't say he's wrong, but that might not be a problem. 

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

William Gibson was unimpressed  - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-11-william-gibson-was-bang-on-about-cyberpunk-2077-and-grand-theft-auto

No wonder, it's the Gibson style of cyberpunk that I'm in love with, no wonder I'm having second thoughts on the tone.

• Like 1

The car better talk too! ;)

...I finished Fallout3 due to IP only, didn't touch fallout4...

Uh.. did you miss Fallout: New Vegas? Because if you did.. boy, do you have something to look forward to!

I have a deep deep dislike for Fallout3 as it kept me from playing New Vegas for too many years. I must say that I wasn't an Obsidian lover until post Project Eternity kickstarter. I played couple of their games (Kotor, NWN2) and I saw them as creative but unpolished Bioware wannabe, oblivious to the time constrains and bad deals. Going through they catalog and learning more about them was quite a ride. New Vegas is probably my fav RPG in many years and a showcase of what Obs is capable of.

Did I understand correctly that Fallout 76 is online only? Multiplayer only?

If so count me out. Not my kind of thing. If wanted to interact with real people I'd go to a bar! :lol:

From what I understood: yes. They said you can play it solo but they didn't say you can play it offline. From what they showed the game seems to be focused around competion/coop. 

You can probably play it solo, just like you can play World of Warcraft solo... Doesn't look worth playing from where I stand, but hey, you never know.

an alternative version of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilized life...

I'm waiting for them to get to the "alternative" part. :p

Hehehe, I was just thinking the same... ;)

No wonder, it's the Gibson style of cyberpunk that I'm in love with, no wonder I'm having second thoughts on the tone.

Hm, shame he probably won't do more than just that drive by tweet as would be curious to see what he'd expect. In all though, it's just a trailer, probably would have impressed more if they had some guy brooding on a balcony watching a rainy city at night beneath him, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Cyberpunk was teasing enough to remember is exists.

Rage 2 is just not me. Doom though ... probably is.

Sekiro is wait and see. Hopefully there is some beta or server stress test before release.

Don't care about Gears, Halo, Tomb Raider ,Fallout, ... at all.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Marketing wise, CDPR wants to cast a wide net. We also already got a grittier Deus Ex, and their "mechanical apartheid" did not play well to critics. This era is all about popping color and feeling punk rather than being punk. It's why we have Sunset Overdrive, Splatoon, & Fortnight. Even Rage 2 which is brutalist dips into the current vogue color palettes.

This is what sells and appeals at the moment. Iwinski is probably keeping some of the tonally harsher stuff hidden away. We at least got this one scene from the trailer that is promising.

aSr7fxh.jpg

• Like 3

Oh right, forgot Division 2.  They did a good job "fixing" the first one with all the overhauling they did so i hope Division 2 is at the same level from the start.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Great link. It made me check out Just Cause 4, a game I haven't even considered, but after what I saw there, it definitely made me want to play the game. Why?

Because I've missed two games from the 1980s that were more fun than I dared to admit back then. I played them for dozens of hours:

[Youtube]

and...

[Youtube]

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Oh right, forgot Division 2.  They did a good job "fixing" the first one with all the overhauling they did so i hope Division 2 is at the same level from the start.

Hopefully my friends dig that, is pretty tedious solo. Still feels wrong playing a "Tom Clancy" game where I have to empty most of an M60 into a dude's chest.

• Like 1

Square Enix Summary

Shadow of the Tomb Raider
FFXIV: Under The Moonlight
FFXIV Online X Monster Hunter: World
The Adventures of Captain Spirit
Dragon Quest XI
Babalon's Fall
Nier: Automata - Become as Gods Edition
Octopath Traveler for Switch
Just Cause 4
The Quiet Man
Kingdom Hearts III

That Squenix conference was some dog**** weeb trash tier and then some. Just about the only thing to take out of it all was a NieR: Automata DLC for me, was actively repelled by the rest of that nonsense (well, okay, I was indifferent to Captain Spirit, Just Cause 4 and Octopath Traveller - still...).

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

That Squenix conference was some dog**** weeb trash tier and then some. Just about the only thing to take out of it all was a NieR: Automata DLC for me, was actively repelled by the rest of that nonsense (well, okay, I was indifferent to Captain Spirit, Just Cause 4 and Octopath Traveller - still...).

That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

• Like 1

Every company which can run conference without saying "loot boxes" so many loot boxes, is a winner.

Overall most devs brought what expected.

Even EA was went with general dark side stuff "We give C&C for new generation as mobile game"

Which is exacly what one could expect.

Edited by evilcat

So in other words... it was very balanced and had something for almost everyone. Much like Microsoft's show.

The one that bored me was Bethesda's which was everything we more or less expected from them.

Ubisoft is next, regardless of the hate they get, they never have a bad E3 so I'm excited :)

That Squenix conference was some dog**** weeb trash tier and then some.

Maybe it's because I haven't paid attention to Squeenix for years, but I don't know what else you expected? Isn't that what they do?

I'm not saying it isn't, but I guess I was hoping for a change all the same. Bethesda and Microsoft were quite positively surprising this year so I guess I was hoping to get something out of their presentation as well. Anyhow, it's just my reaction towards their work I guess.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden