Mass Effect 3

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Singularities! ®

Get your own today for only 35M Credits (P&P not included). Not available in any retail store. Get one before they are gone.

Full satisfaction or your Credits back, no questions asked *)

*) Terms and conditions apply

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

From Oner in previous thread

"You can be one, Shepard must become them, in order to defeat them. Or something along those lines.

Bioware deisgn meeting, Ray Muzyka:

-So let's see: In the prologue the collector base will be turned into a huge reaper torso, and Shepard must search the galaxy for the 4 reaper limbs and bring them together so he can become a reaper himself. Then in the endgame he's a huge Reaper-Shepard and you have to kill the other reapers while using planets as cover instead of chest-high-walls.

BRILLIANT! "

I would play this game.

Edited by Azure79

From Oner in previous thread

"You can be one, Shepard must become them, in order to defeat them. Or something along those lines.

Bioware deisgn meeting, Ray Muzyka:

-So let's see: In the prologue the collector base will be turned into a huge reaper torso, and Shepard must search the galaxy for the 4 reaper limbs and bring them together so he can become a reaper himself. Then in the endgame he's a huge Reaper-Shepard and you have to kill the other reapers while using planets as cover instead of chest-high-walls.

BRILLIANT! "

I would play this game.

:thumbsup:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If the Paragon and Renegade outcomes of ME2 will make much of a difference in ME3, I'll already be impressed.

Yeah, I'm curious too how Bioware will handle this as well.

Oh well, back to re-freshing the EA page awaiting the Arrival DLC. So. Want. Now.

If the Paragon and Renegade outcomes of ME2 will make much of a difference in ME3, I'll already be impressed.

But that would mean that they would have to write something original and innovative, that's not the BioWare we know and love.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

See, it's stuff like that that makes people think you're some kind of Bioware zealot.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"See, it's stuff like that that makes people think you're some kind of Bioware zealot."

Do Bioware zealots go around claiming KOTOR is overrated? That ahven't bothered to play 3 BIO games? Post threads on the BIO baords criticizing certain design decisions? Rating some of their games less than 80%?

Wow! I'm REALLY a zealot!

Besdies, I'd rather be a zealot who spends time enjoying thinsg than spending time bashing the same company over,a nd over again no matter the thread.

P.S. I make light fun of Obsidian but I actually like more than half of the games, and am looking forward to DS despite my dissapointment with SOZ and AP.

But, I just find hyopcritical that an Obsidianite will deride another company for being 'unoriginal' or 'non innovative' 9whcih is far from teh truth) when this forum is dedicated to a company that bases it success on other Ips and proudly so.

*shrug*

On ME3: Should be a fun cotnination.. still wodner what 'rpg' stuff they'll readd to the series. :sorcerer:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

More of the lines of responding to attacks that weren't actually made, at least in this thread.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Obsidian does a lot more original stuff with existing IP's than Bioware does reskinning their tired old cliches. A new IP doesn't mean it's an original game.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'm not too worried about Mass Effect 3 as FPS combat mechanics are a lot harder to mess up then action adventure combat mechanics. In other end is DeusEx and Bloodlines type of FPS/RPG hybrid and in the other is the pure Modern Warfare FPS bliss. Both work in their own way, but pure (and polished) FPS combat mechanic work better for the todays gamers. Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol all were flawed in different ways so if Bioware moves to some direction from those and we'll probably see improvement. Bioware would have to try really hard to step into that Resident Evil 5 pit o' doom and fail horribly.

What about story, RPG elements and characters? Bioware can streamline as much as they want and still those features are probably leagues above the pure FPS. I mean seriously, it don't take a lot to beat meatheads from Gear of War :sorcerer:

More important question is - Are we gamers happy if Bioware just beats Gears of War? I'd say we set our bar rather low. We might not get next James Joyce or Leo Tolstoy, but at least they should try to beat Babylon 5 or Firefly.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

It does mean it is more original than using an IP.

"Obsidian does a lot more original stuff with existing IP's"

nO.

Just because you use an established IP doesn't mean that you are unoriginal and the reverse it's true. A copy-paste IP made from an amalgam of elements from another games is not original. In fact the first thing that they teach you in game design is that there are no original ideas. Execution is original, taking the same story that you have heard a thousand times before and playing it in new ways.

Obsidian has crafted some of the most interesting stories in gaming and has managed to take BW games further than the originals.

But since we are on the subject of BW:

NWN,BG,DA=D&D ripoffs=Tolkien

ME= every sci-fi drama ever=H.G Wells, Verne

Edited by Orogun01

village_idiot.gif

And this is where Bioware succeed. it's the only Bioware game I am interested in anymore.

While "only" is probably too strong for me, I don't disagree with your general point. Sure, I often find myself wishing that Bio would aim a little bit higher in their narrative aspirations. The script they're clearly working from for ME (and other games) is one that would suit an above-average summer blockbuster film, and I do think they're capable of more.

But I can enjoy a summer-blockbuster-type plot when it's executed well. And, in ME2, I did. Yeah, the overall story is rather hoary, they sometimes indulge the egos of their audience to a near-embarrassing degree, and a lot (probably even a majority) of the characters are relatively uninteresting, but they execute the plot cliches pretty well, the worst of the fan-service can usually be avoided, and the better characters are good enough for me to want more.

Lastly, lets be real here. The standard of prose quality, plotting, and characterization in classic science fiction isn't particularly high. Sci-fi is niche-popular because the ideas that the stories contain have a peculiar appeal to a particular type of reader. ME's writing doesn't hit those notes all that often (and when they do, it's usually in a throw-away description of a random scannable planet), but in terms of writing believable characters, I'd put ME ahead of a good number of classic sci-fi authors.

Edited by Enoch

I'd put ME ahead of a good number of classic sci-fi authors.

which authors did you have in mind with this statement? I'm not being a jerk I'm honestly curious, because on its face as a statement i disagree, but maybe am missing something

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Especially since ME is Space Opera. And believable characters has never been a strength of that genre.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You could almost see Shephard turning up as a Lensman ...

Not to say Doc Smith's writing was bad, personally I think the guys one of the founders of space opera sci-fi and was fairly brilliant (if you take into account the time when he was writing). But that's always been one of the key things about space opera. It's meant to be that slight touch of operatic sillyness thats about being fun and adventure exciting.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That's giving ME way, way too much credit.

Not necessarily, the continuation of a tradition says nothing about the quality. Which IMO has been decreasing, or maybe i'm getting old.

If we are going to be fair ME is like those late 50's early 60's sci-fi movies, those B rated movies. At the time they may not all had been necessarily hits, it was a step forward for cinema undoubtedly. A lot of those movies really explored the special effects and cinematographic tricks which were trend by the 80's.

And ME had a dialog wheel :(

village_idiot.gif