Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deadfire Q&A Twitch Stream - July 12th!

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Kareno

Kareno

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
Any reason why you are not teaming up with Paradox for the sequel? Seems to have worked out well the first time around.

smjjames

smjjames

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

A thought going off of zacktly (yes, I know I've asked a bunch already), will we be able to rename the grimoires in our inventory? I thought it a bit strange that we couldn't rename the grimoires since we can only have so many spells in one grimoire and it seemed like an obvious thing to be able to rename the grimoires.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1016 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Where be thy stream?

edit: oooo PST... dammit. Guess I'll be checking out the archive.

Edited by injurai, 12 July 2017 - 12:12 PM.

DexGames

DexGames

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Getting tired...

But i wanna stay up ! :dancing:

• injurai likes this

smjjames

smjjames

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I've decided to wait until there is a transcript out, sucks to be hard of hearing, and too bad Twitch doesn't have some sort of live caption thing.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1267 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
So the stream is over and here's the link.

Strange, the video doesn't start in Chrome, and loads like on dial-up in Firefox.

Have informed Fereed; fingers-crossed that he'll deliver :)

Edit: transcript #6 by Fereed.

Edited by MaxQuest, 13 July 2017 - 05:14 AM.

• ShadySands, FlintlockJazz, Infinitron and 3 others like this

smjjames

smjjames

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Strange, the video doesn't start in Chrome, and loads like on dial-up in Firefox.

Thanks, and thanks to fereed. :) Also, Josh is colorblind, didn't know that.

Edited by smjjames, 13 July 2017 - 06:40 AM.

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1779 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Thanks from me too and thanks to Fereed.  And omigod they answered my question on backgrounds!  And about the stances!  *swoons* 

I really liked the answer about the stances, pretty much what I was hoping for.  The Backgrounds I am interested to see where they go with them, those little details of character generation always interest me and with the increased skills the backgrounds should vary a lot more.

I also really liked his answer to NPCs all being killable.  There are many developers I find that seem to take the stance that they are "telling a story" and use Hollywood ideas and film writing techniques rather than develop for the medium of games, and then wonder why their players seem to resent them for it.  When I GM for my tabletop RPG groups I feel that the goal should be to enable the players to tell their own stories than force them to play out my own, and I like seeing developers appear to take the same approach too.  Or maybe I'm reading too much into it, I like to jibber jabber.

• ShadySands and blotter like this

Messier-31

Messier-31

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1702 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Will there be more varieties of godlike in Deadfire? Godlike of Wael or Galawain or Ondra?

The person responsible for this question forgot that MOON GODLIKES are linked to ONDRA :p

Deadfire environments seem pretty cool. Will we have the chance to visit different biomes other than desert and jungle? For example, arctic?

JS: Yes. There's pretty big variety. One of the reasons we wanted to set the game in the Deadfire is because it covers a very, very large area. It spans a huge geographic area, and you have a ship, and so it makes it much more reasonable for you to move from some place that is the desert to some place that's very, very cold, or to a volcano, or all over the place. We do have a pretty big variety of stuff.

Yes, that's what I was waiting for!

If the main character is using a custom portrait, how will the new watercolor portraits work with them? Do you pick a watercolor portrait from a list, or will the game attempt to create a watercolor version automatically?

JS: No, it's not going to attempt to use a watercolor portrait automatically. It looks for a version that's used — there's like a file naming thing where basically it says, if this is the portrait, then I'm going to look for this watercolor version of it. If it doesn't exist, then it will use the same portrait and scale it down.

It does mean if you're making custom portaits you have to make the "watercolor" versions...they're pretty easy to make. I am not really an artist and I made a crappy one really quickly from an Edér portrait — it's not fantastic, but it totally works. Any artist who is actually capable of making a portrait—and there are tons of them, you can find them all over the internet—can do the watercolor versions pretty fast.

One of the main things that we are trying to do with watercolor portraits is make them easy and fast for our artists to make, because we want to have a ton of them all throughout the game. Matt Hansen, I think, can create a watercolor portrait in like less than 30 minutes from a finished portrait, and he's doing them at a pretty high level of quality. The resolution is also relatively low, so that helps. You don't have to render out quite so much stuff.

I use a custom portait, but I am no artist. Someone fancy helping out?

Edited by Messier-31, 13 July 2017 - 10:03 PM.

• FlintlockJazz and Katarack21 like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6652 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I can do watercolor portraits, but I usually don't have the time to do them for other people. Well, maybe in September, once my kids go to kindergarden again... Can you imagine: in Romania they have summer holidays from Beginning of July till Beginning of September. Holy moly! I'm kneedeep in watercolor paintings, Lego bricks and princess costumes...
  • FlintlockJazz and Messier-31 like this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1779 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Will there be more varieties of godlike in Deadfire? Godlike of Wael or Galawain or Ondra?

The person responsible for this question forgot that MOON GODLIKES are linked to ONDRA :p

Deadfire environments seem pretty cool. Will we have the chance to visit different biomes other than desert and jungle? For example, arctic?

JS: Yes. There's pretty big variety. One of the reasons we wanted to set the game in the Deadfire is because it covers a very, very large area. It spans a huge geographic area, and you have a ship, and so it makes it much more reasonable for you to move from some place that is the desert to some place that's very, very cold, or to a volcano, or all over the place. We do have a pretty big variety of stuff.

Yes, that's what I was waiting for!

If the main character is using a custom portrait, how will the new watercolor portraits work with them? Do you pick a watercolor portrait from a list, or will the game attempt to create a watercolor version automatically?

JS: No, it's not going to attempt to use a watercolor portrait automatically. It looks for a version that's used — there's like a file naming thing where basically it says, if this is the portrait, then I'm going to look for this watercolor version of it. If it doesn't exist, then it will use the same portrait and scale it down.

It does mean if you're making custom portaits you have to make the "watercolor" versions...they're pretty easy to make. I am not really an artist and I made a crappy one really quickly from an Edér portrait — it's not fantastic, but it totally works. Any artist who is actually capable of making a portrait—and there are tons of them, you can find them all over the internet—can do the watercolor versions pretty fast.

One of the main things that we are trying to do with watercolor portraits is make them easy and fast for our artists to make, because we want to have a ton of them all throughout the game. Matt Hansen, I think, can create a watercolor portrait in like less than 30 minutes from a finished portrait, and he's doing them at a pretty high level of quality. The resolution is also relatively low, so that helps. You don't have to render out quite so much stuff.

I use a custom portait, but I am no artist. Someone fancy helping out?

I can do watercolor portraits, but I usually don't have the time to do them for other people. Well, maybe in September, once my kids go to kindergarden again... Can you imagine: in Romania they have summer holidays from Beginning of July till Beginning of September. Holy moly! I'm kneedeep in watercolor paintings, Lego bricks and princess costumes...

I didn't see that they had answered the watercolour question.  Hmm, I suck at artistry too and I'd feel rude going around asking people to knock out watercolour portraits especially since the original portraits I am using are ones I have yoinked off the internet anyway...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users