Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

18-core Core i9

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1485 posts
  • Steam:Ask!
What, really? Do you know how much time baking and serving cookies can take? Definitely worth the investment.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I would say not worth having for gaming. Nothing will take advantage of it or use it properly (optimally at least) for the some years to come.

There are different perfomance values for single core, dual-core, quad-core... meaning that you won't benefit from 18-cores just yet realistically. Games are just now getting optimized for quad core cpu's and next is octo-core cpu's.

Workloads on the other hand and production.... now that's a different story. You might actually get close to reverse engineering and emulating PS3 to run games at 15fps with that kind of power!

Edited by SonicMage117, 20 June 2017 - 09:07 PM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1359 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

interesting stuff.

• Azdeus and Keyrock like this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6742 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
Interesting that Bill Gates talks about Intel's despicable strong arm tactics in his book. I wonder if he also talks about how Microsoft used many similar tactics to gain and hold on to market dominance?
  • Azdeus likes this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Yes, that'd be interesting to know.

I liked the video, and I am actually happy that I've been running AMD processors since I had a K6/2 450

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users