Physical Copy of the Game is DRM and Steam free?

Well they are releasing through GoG if that meets your criteria of DRM free.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As people have said, if you want DRM make sure you use your key with GoG.

HOWEVER. If you end up with beta access it will more than likely only be on Steam. If you use your key on Steam for beta access you won't be able to transfer across to GoG at a later date.

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

As people have said, if you want DRM make sure you use your key with GoG.

HOWEVER. If you end up with beta access it will more than likely only be on Steam. If you use your key on Steam for beta access you won't be able to transfer across to GoG at a later date.

That is not true. You will be able to get beta access on Steam and then the full game on Gog just as you could with PoE1.

Somebody asked this in the Fig comments and Feargus confirmed it.

Since I realized the poster stated PHYSICAL copy, IIRC the physical copy of the first game was DRM free (didn't require any activation) but I can't find the thread where people talked about that.  I'm not sure that I've seen any specifics on a physical copy of this game - is there definitely one in the boxed sets?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, I'd *think* it does, but they don't specifically say and I wouldn't want to assume.

The physical box of the first kickstarter campaign was indeed DRM free. It doesn't have anything to do with GOG, it is just an old school DVD with the complete game in it.

I pledged for it at the time and as I mentioned in another thread I am very glad we got a digital copy along with it, because now I play only the digital copy. The reason being: they never made a compatible DVD for the expansion.

If the DVD of the physical pledge for PoE 2: Deadfire is DRM free like for PoE, I recommend not pledging for it if you plan to play the expansion in the future. That's because we'll not get a digital copy along with the physical one this time, so you'll be stuck with a DVD, with a very poor post launch support (the patches in the backer portal always took a huge amount of time to be updated) and even worse, you very probably won't be able to play the expansion. That is if Obsidian take the same measures as before, which I doubt. They'll probably make the physical box a disc with a Steam/GOG key on it, I don't know...

p.s.: Have they released a White March DRM free DVD which I never heard of, by chance?

Edited by LuccA
  • Like 1

Hey guys!

Here to answer all of your backer needs! So, in the Physical Box tier, you will get a physical disc of the game, however, it is actually a Steam installer. There will be no disc version of the game this time around. Though you will be able to choose between a Steam key or a GOG key. So for your DRM-free needs, you can go with GOG.

For the Early Access Tier, you can do both. You can gain Early Access key for Steam, and then you can also choose to have a GOG key for the full game. So you can have your cake and eat it too! 

• Like 2

Hey guys!

Here to answer all of your backer needs! So, in the Physical Box tier, you will get a physical disc of the game, however, it is actually a Steam installer. There will be no disc version of the game this time around. Though you will be able to choose between a Steam key or a GOG key. So for your DRM-free needs, you can go with GOG.

For the Early Access Tier, you can do both. You can gain Early Access key for Steam, and then you can also choose to have a GOG key for the full game. So you can have your cake and eat it too! 

Any plans yet for joining GoG's "In Dev" program for the Alpha/Beta?

Hey guys!

Hey  Hemmer,

We currently don't have any plans on using GOG's "In Dev" program at this point in time, but that can always change somewhere down the line. 

Hey guys!

Personally I'm fine with steam but just for clarification: Are the game files on that disc so that you don't have to download everything or is there really just an installer for the steam software on it? 

Hey guys!

Oh, cool that you're answering question here sir, I've asked multiple times Feargus on twitter but he has ignored me so far.

In the description of the Physical Box tier on fig, it reads "This does not include the digital copy of Pillars II".

But your post I quoted is somewhat ambiguous because if I get to choose between steam and gog, it could be that a digital copy is indeed included.

The reason I ask is because I really wanna buy a physical box but I know from PoE1 that it can get a while before being delivered (living in Europe, it was almost exactly 3 months). With my standard physical box KS pledge for PoE1 though, I could choose between a gog and steam key so I had the opportunity to play the game right at release. I'd be very sad to wait that long to play PoE2 :(

Can you clarify please?

Edited by Merany

Hey guys!

Sorry to hear that. The incentive to pledge again for the Collector's Edition as first time around went for me down by 99,5%. :(

I really hope you reconsider this before the end of the campaign...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

@Merany 

As far as I know you'll get a digital code together with your collectors edition but it will be the same as the one for your physical disc. Feargus? (or another guy from Obsidian) said something like that in the comments on fig. It would be nice if a clarification would be added to the faq at the bottom of the fig discription. 

Hey guys!

Hey  Hemmer,

We currently don't have any plans on using GOG's "In Dev" program at this point in time, but that can always change somewhere down the line. 

Hey guys!

Thanks for clarifying this. Feel sad about this though. If you want DRM-free, true you can go GOG, but you won't have a box at all!

Out of curiuousity, what is the reasoning to use a Steam installer for the physical copy? Your kickstarting campaign just started and is already very successful

Hey guys!

Woah... I find this very disappointing actually. The physical disc will not contain the game but only the Steam Installer?

So I have then to download the entire game? Not everyone one has a fast Internet connection, you know. :(

But this seems to be an ongoing trend in the video game business.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Semi-related to this topic, sort of: because the package I will be getting doesn't include the digital download do I have use an Add-on package to get the release copy? Most of the previous/lower packages do come with a digital download when the game is released. I'm confused but it may be a wording issue. No clue. Getting the package regardless once I'm past rent-check week (lol).

99.png

Out of curiuousity, what is the reasoning to use a Steam installer for the physical copy? Your kickstarting campaign just started and is already very successful

There are less than 300 physical tier backers. Presumably they don't want to have to do a separate patching branch with separate installers for only a few hundred people and would prefer it to be handled through GOG or satan instead.

There are less than 300 physical tier backers. Presumably they don't want to have to do a separate patching branch with separate installers for only a few hundred people and would prefer it to be handled through GOG or satan instead.

Was that the autocorrector or do you really hate Steam?