Movies you've seen recently

Rosbjerg

Damn it, Ben Stiller still lives...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Damn it, Ben Stiller still lives...

Not sure I get this.  I get it for Adam Sandler and Mike Meyers, But Ben Stiller still has more good than bad at this stage.

Out of all the silly comedies Zoolander might as well be one of the best because it nicely blends comedy and satire while also featuring some elements of parody, well, and the massive cast of people who played themselves. I would also rate Stiller as the better actor than Sandler and Meyers. Not by much, but definitely noticable.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Not sure I get this.  I get it for Adam Sandler and Mike Meyers, But Ben Stiller still has more good than bad at this stage.

Have never found him, or those, remotely funny. Same thing with Owen Wilson.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Have never found him, or those, remotely funny. Same thing with Owen Wilson.

You didn't like "There's Something About Mary"?

Ben Stiller is a national treasure and you guys are all bunch loonies.

Did I tell you that story about my friend who hates Ben Stiller, until we went over all of his movies and turns out he likes those movies. I think I mentioned this story before.

Ben Stiller is great, he is the Tom Petty of film. Even if you don't like him you can't help but enjoy his work.

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, I just went through the list after Malcador's comment.  It's a pretty fantastic library.  His work as a director is probably the biggest surprise, it's a very solid list.  

I watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty recently.  I had avoided it because it was pretty well panned by critics, but I ended up enjoying it.  Still, hard to beat Tropic Thunder and Zoolander for hilarity.

• Like 2

100% agree. The whole thing is a mess and illogical yet (largely to the leads as you point out + the whole wackiness of it) it is entertaining.

Yeah it is endearingly strange.  Just some bizarre ideas and inexplicable translations of some of the Super Mario Bros world.

I thought I was the only one who likeed Mario Bros. Like how all I see is hate for Hook online. Peoole who hate Hook can suck on a dead dog's nose.

I liked Hook when it came out, but there's a couple of sections that are maudlin and hard to watch on repeated viewings.

That said the lost boys are a bit embarrassing.  BANGARANG! :p

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hook is a bit all over the place, tone-wise, but I still love it.

I watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty recently.  I had avoided it because it was pretty well panned by critics, but I ended up enjoying it.

I loved that flick. It was such a positive, hopeful experience.

I watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty recently.  I had avoided it because it was pretty well panned by critics, but I ended up enjoying it.

am a huge fan o' walter mitty.  who wouldn't like a movie with danny kaye and boris karloff?  virgina mayo were one o' our favorite actresses during the 40s and she played the damsel not in distress perfect in mitty.

wait, you aren't talking 'bout the horrible stiller remake, are you?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

For the film oddities..

John Malkovich and Robert Rodriguez have made a movie that won't be shown for 100 years...

Think the secrecy around the biggest Hollywood blockbusters is crazy? They don’t come close to what John Malkovich and Robert Rodriguez are doing. The pair has collaborated for a film that no one will see for 100 years. Literally.

This isn’t some joke. They’ve made a film, called 100 Years, which is being placed in a special time-locked safe that won’t open again until November 18, 2115. Why? Well, because it’s promotion for Louis XIII Cognac, an ultra-luxury liquor that is aged 100 years. Bottles currently on shelves were made in 1915 so they decided a piece of art that speaks to their commitment to quality was something worth doing.

“Louis XIII is a true testament to the mastery of time and we sought to create a proactive piece of art that explores the dynamic relationship of the past, present and future,” said global executive director of Louis XIII, Ludovic du Plessis, in a news release.

They approached Malkovich, who du Plessis calls the “the greatest actor of his generation,” to come up with an idea. What that idea is, they would not say. It’s all part of the secrecy and illusion. All they’d say was it’s set in the present and is “emotionally charged,” according to Rodriguez.

So what are images like the ones (of star Shuya Chang) you see above ? They’re part of three teasers created for the film, each of which imagines a different versions of the future.

“There were several options when the project was first presented of what [the future] would be,” said Malkovich. “An incredibly high tech, beyond computerized version of the world, a post-Chernoybl, back to nature, semi-collapsed civilization and then there was a retro future which was how the future was imagined in science fiction of the 1940s or 50s.”

Here are the teasers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqMKrFFvR00&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NYEj7A5w2U&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ka20sR-o8&

Those three teasers were created to show what it might look like when someone uncovers the film in 100 years. But, and this is important, none of them are the actual film. The one in the vault that’ll live at the House of Louis XIII in Cognac, France.

To come up with that idea, Malkovich did lots of research about futurism, science fiction, and even visions of today from 100 years ago. “Some of it was strangely accurate, oddly enough, but of course the vast majority of it was unimaginable. And I think that’s what the future is to most of us,” he said.

How the team at Louis XIII envisions this all going down: they are sending out metal movie tickets to about 1,000 influential people inviting them to invite their descendants to a screening exactly one year from today. At that time, they’ll grab an old projector (the movie will be preserved on film stock) and press play. Will that actually happen? Who knows. But the people making Louis XIII cognac today are doing so for people who won’t be able to drink it until 2115. So why not a movie?

Here’s a featurete : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8vv_GVJgyc&

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

am a huge fan o' walter mitty.  who wouldn't like a movie with danny kaye and boris karloff?  virgina mayo were one o' our favorite actresses during the 40s and she played the damsel not in distress perfect in mitty.

wait, you aren't talking 'bout the horrible stiller remake, are you?

HA! Good Fun!

Horrible? I thought the remake did a great job coming up with its own, modernised version of the story and theme and was different enough to not be held back by the "just another remake" label, but to each their own. With the exception of that horrible subplot with his boss, anyway.

• Like 1

My understanding is that the Stiller Mitty had more to do with being a love letter to LIFE Magazine than it did Thurber's short story (which was the basis of the Kaye film).

Not saying its a bad film, just that it seems not to be a very good adaption of a story.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well it has that swings and roundabout aspects to it.

The core concept is kind of there?  A withdrawn, introverted character who goes through a very.. humdrum life, but has a really vivid imagination always daydreaming about exciting adventures out in the world. Then something happens and he gets pulled into exactly the kind of thing he fantasised about.

Sure, it goes from wandering into dreams of being the action hero, the thrilling spy and skirt chaser to instead being more of a voyeuristic, see the world through someone elses travels. But the core of that spirit is there.

Also of note..

Peter Jackson admits he 'winged it' on the Hobbit

Peter Jackson has revealed he began filming his blockbuster Hobbit trilogy without proper preparation, in many cases shooting scenes without storyboards and completed scripts in a process he described as "making it up as I went along".

In a remarkably candid behind-the-scenes video from the Battle of Five Armies DVD, the Oscar-winning New Zealander details the radical shift in preparation time between previous JRR Tolkien trilogy The Lord of the Rings, which he had three and a half years to prepare, and its sequel saga. Jackson took over directing duties in 2010 following the departure of Mexican director Guillermo Del Toro, and according to his comments in the new video had almost no time at all to prepare his vision before shooting began and he found himself plunged into 21-hour days.

"Because Guillermo Del Toro had to leave and I jumped in and took over, we didn’t wind the clock back a year and a half and give me a year and a half prep to design the movie, which was different to what he was doing," reveals Jackson. "It was impossible, and as a result of it being impossible I just started shooting the movie with most of it not prepped at all.

"You’re going on to a set and you’re winging it, you’ve got these massively complicated scenes, no storyboards and you’re making it up there and then on the spot […] I spent most of The Hobbit feeling like I was not on top of it ][…] even from a script point of view Fran [Walsh], Philippa [boyens] and I hadn’t got the entire scripts written to our satisfaction so that was a very high pressure situation."

The chaotic state of affairs on set in New Zealand helps explain why The Battle of Five Armies was pushed back by five months in 2013, from a July 2014 release date to its final December 2014 slot. Jackson explains he "winged it" right up until the film’s climactic battle but was eventually forced to concede that production would have to be called to a halt while he worked out how to shoot it.

"We had allowed two months of shooting for that in 2012, and at some point when we were approaching that I went to our producers and the studio and said: ‘Because I don’t know what the hell I’m doing now, because I haven’t got storyboards and prep, why don’t we just finish earlier?’

"And so what that delay gives you is time for the director to clear his head and have some quiet time for inspiration to come about the battle, and start to really put something together."

While Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy scored close to $3bn worldwide, it was not a critical hit on the scale of its predecessor. Some fans complained over the decision to split Tolkien’s breezy 293-page fantasy fable into three epic movies with a total running time of almost eight hours, and The Battle of the Five Armies was the saga’s worst-reviewed film with a barely-fresh 60% rating on the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes.

• Like 1

Didn't del Toro work on it for like 3 years and quit over the frustration of not being allowed to start full production?

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

They delayed filming a few times and those delays and problems resulted in it - Del Toro talks about it here - http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=261703;sb=post_time;so=DESC;

They delayed filming a few times and those delays and problems resulted in it - Del Toro talks about it here - http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=261703;sb=post_time;so=DESC;

Looking forward to the inevitable Jodowarsky's Dune style documentary on it. When they first said Peter Jackson wasn't doing it and then announced Del Toro I was immediately sold. Del Toro's visual style was perfectly suited to a story like that.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Black Panther!

RDJ's delivery on that "so was I" is heartbreaking.

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

Spectre.

Piece of ****. Opening scene is the only thing worthwhile in the entire film and even there its not quite clear why Bond is beating the crap out of a pilot flying a helicopter close to the ground. 

Why is Craig Bond again? The man looks like a neanderthal. Every time  I went to the cinema in the last few months, I regretted it. 

On the other hand, Akira Kurosawa's Stray Dog (1949) was very good. The Bad Sleep Well (by A.K. too) was decent as well. 

Yojimbo is next.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.