Odd questions

Walsingham

If this world is just a product of my imagination, then why in the nine hells did I invent stuff like nail fungus, religion and taxes?

LOL

Now I'm wondering why I invented you inventing those things.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm a rogue program imagination, I'm the malevolent thought you can't stop thinking, the kind of thought that can't be forgotten nor controlled.  :devil:

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I'm a rogue program imagination, I'm the malevolent thought you can't stop thinking, the kind of thought that can't be forgotten nor controlled.  :devil:

I think I feel more sorry for you than for me, then.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I like the thought of you being in my imagination all the time...what lingerie would you be wearing? Personally I prefer pink or black but some role-playing outfits would work for me if that's fine for you?

:aiee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Are individual people plagued by weaknesses in order that they have to turn to others for help, binding society together, and making us collectively stronger?

-Elwood Blues

Does light have weight?

I believe it is massless, and weight is dependant on mass, so I don't believe so. I may br wrong.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

If a man speaks his mind in a forest, and no woman hears him; is he still wrong?

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 4

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Why do I laugh when I hear a Scouser speak and why does my internet spelling program tell me I'm spelling Scouse the wrong way?

I'll punch you in the gob, m8, I swear it on me mum!

That should be "maiyay mum". Rising tone on each syllable.

~~

I think there should be such a  thing as a romantic hip-flask. For when couples are sitting somewhere romntic looking, and the guy needs a drink to put up with it. It should therefore contain enough for two people, and look right somehow.

LC, you're our sniper in the treeline when it comes to female stuff. How would this hip-flask look?

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

Does light have weight?

I believe it is massless, and weight is dependant on mass, so I don't believe so. I may br wrong.

Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of connection between mass and energy?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Light must have mass, light beams can be used to accelerate stuff like probes in space with huge solar panels. Scientists are even figuring out probes that could be accelerated with a powerful laser from earth hitting its panels for decades making it reach very high velocities.- 

Light is like a bullet, if it has zero mass it can hit stuff with any kind of super high velocity it won't move the object it hits. You need mass to do that. Though as far as I know light does NOT have weight when its NOT in motion.

Which is interesting because scientists have found a way to stop light making it travel through a Bose-Einstein condensate of rubidium. (though its not really light anymore when you make it stop completely)

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Light must have mass, light beams can be used to accelerate stuff like probes in space with huge solar panels. Scientists are even figuring out probes that could be accelerated with a powerful laser from earth hitting its panels for decades making it reach very high velocities.- 

Light is like a bullet, if it has zero mass it can hit stuff with any kind of super high velocity it won't move the object it hits. You need mass to do that. Though as far as I know light does NOT have weight when its NOT in motion.

Which is interesting because scientists have found a way to stop light making it travel through a Bose-Einstein condensate of rubidium. (though its not really light anymore when you make it stop completely)

Are you saying that the sun is f***ing SHOOTING at us?

-Elwood Blues

Light doesn't have mass (or more accurately, the photons that make up light have an invariant mass of 0).

Not having mass doesn't mean it doesn't have energy, which it does. This energy can relate a relativistic mass for light if light was trapped and in that case the energy can be also be harnessed in some way (regardless of mass).

As I understand it.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Light doesn't have mass (or more accurately, the photons that make up light have an invariant mass of 0).

Not having mass doesn't mean it doesn't have energy, which it does. This energy can relate a relativistic mass for light if light was trapped and in that case the energy can be also be harnessed in some way (regardless of mass).

As I understand it.

Well, I'm moist. I don't know about you chaps.

-Elwood Blues

Does light have weight?

Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of connection between mass and energy?

Theoretically

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Will going to Absolute Zero create a Black Hole?

no. Black holes are dense, Absolute zero is only possible in (near) perfect vacuums. (absence of energy)

Why do people lack so much self-awareness? Is it a lack of education? Is it pride? is it genetics? Are we not as sapient as we think we are?

How many people are walking around with brilliant ideas in their heads, which will never see the light of day because of a lack of training or a lack of contact with people trained in the relevant field?

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Why do people lack so much self-awareness? Is it a lack of education? Is it pride? is it genetics? Are we not as sapient as we think we are?

Got this one. Self-awareness is mediated against self-belief made necessary by degrees of risk. An absence of self-belief produces non-actionable perception of action outcomes.

Or to put it another way, its better to be a non-self-aware bloke blithely striding towards uncertainty, than a self-aware entity cowering under a dustbin lid.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 2

-Elwood Blues

Got this one. Self-awareness is mediated against self-belief made necessary by degrees of risk. An absence of self-belief produces non-actionable perception of action outcomes.

Or to put it another way, its better to be a non-self-aware bloke blithely striding towards uncertainty, than a self-aware entity cowering under a dustbin lid.

as Bertrand Russel said: "The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are c*cksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"

and "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine."

Which echoes the sentiment of the Buddha: "Do not give up your authority and follow blindly the will of others"

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I would counter by suggesting that the truly intelligent* would recognise the limitations of their own reflective understanding, and embrace sensible degrees of intuition.

It is perfectly coherent to ignore what is, if you can generate the power to decide what will be.

*There's no such thing as intelligence.

-Elwood Blues