Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

C2B

im guessing this is more of a: "here obsidian, have some money and let us borrow some of your expertise and tools to help make this a hit. if it is a hit, then we'll help you on your kickstarter when that gets going, and hopefully it will prove to the world that people still want and can make these kinds of games."

teaming up for the greater good etc. im guessing the extra money goes straight to obsidian, and is probably barely enough to cover the expenses they anticipate in lending their help to Wasteland 2.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Hm. Never played Wasteland...I'll have to research/read more in depth this weekend. But I like rpg's, post-apocalyptic, and supporting good projects when I can....so if I like what I read I'll pledge something.

And if Obsidian themselves kick-starts their own rpg project, I'll be on that one too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Supposedly Obsidian would only be helping with the design work and licensing tools, which I assume means Onyx, for the game. They aren't doing any of the programming.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1100&start=40&sid=3697329120961658e3f5f660702e79bb

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

Supposedly Obsidian would only be helping with the design work and licensing tools, which I assume means Onyx, for the game. They aren't doing any of the programming.

http://wasteland.inx...3f5f660702e79bb

If Obsidian are giving them the engine that THEY coded, then of course Obsidian are doing programming. They're also going to continue doing programming to help Inexile maintain and adapt the engine.

What I find more interesting is that Obsidian will be helping out with design work.

We have announced a major piece of good news today that inXile has reached an agreement with Obsidian for potential design assistance for Wasteland 2. What that means is that Obsidian
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Keep in mind that the first few months will be pure work on design anyway. So Obsidian would have some deeper impact on the game, even though they won't be writing the games code and scripts.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Keep in mind that the first few months will be pure work on design anyway. So Obsidian would have some deeper impact on the game, even though they won't be writing the games code and scripts.

A lot of the design has been done already, though. Or am I misremembering.

http://www.gamebansh...iew/page-2.html

GB: You've hinted at the prospect that Obsidian Entertainment might pursue their own Kickstarter project in the near future. Does your collaboration on Wasteland 2 affect those plans at all? If not, when might we see a crowd-funded Obsidian project surface?

Chris: No, it won't affect our own Kickstarter projects. We do feel that there was a lot of benefit in learning from Brian's experience with Kickstarter, and I believe there's a lot of smart ways he engineered the process that I'd love to learn from, both in what's shown to the public and how he strategizes internally. Also, Brian's a good guy... I'm sure if we ever came out with a project and asked for help, he'd be willing to put in a good word with us with the community - just as he's already done extensive efforts to "Kicking it Forward" already.

Ultimately, I want to support this process. I want to support Double Fine. I want to support inXile. This style of funding feels more pure to me - it gets player interest first, and draws support from the people playing the title and are passionate about the title, not projections on who might play it and also not from publisher projections on the genre and interest.

It's a very positive sounding interview in general.

Anyone notice the "s"?

Also Onyx is not used. Wonder what engine they are going with.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

Almost at $1.9m. A measly $0.2m away from the goal. Is there anywhere you can see a geographical spread of backers?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Whee! $1.95m not including Paypal. Brian Fargo posted update #8

Something about how they are going to spend excess money.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's not about dreaming too much, it's about people asking what would be done with extra money and also providing a little more incentive for other people to donate. I seriously doubt $3 or even $2.5 is feasible, but I still think Fargo made the right move with this update. He's been kinda sparse with updating too, but I guess since the team is deep into pre-production and they have no concept art ready yet, he did what he could.

Now he's dreaming too much. 2,1 will probably be final what they reach. No way are the going to get to 2,5 or 3.

Kickstarter projects have the most donations at the start and the end. Wasteland 2 is at the end of the middle of its run, so I'd say there's plenty of life left in it yet.

The thresholds for doing more stuff contribute to the backended delays too - it's not hard to see someone willing to kick more in if they know in advance that a certain feature they really want has had its activation threshold reached. Y'know, stuff like MCA's involvement which I can easily see as being the difference between someone kicking in $15 and kicking in $100 - but they won't risk the $100 if there's any chance that they won't reach the target ....which can lead to a bit of a Mexican standoff really. Another example would be a Mac user holding off on the Double Fine kickstarter until the Mac version was guaranteed.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

if it hasn't reached 2.1 soon, then im going to up my contribution, i think MCA will benefit the project greatly

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Kickstarter will take 5% of all the money, Amazon will take 3%. I wonder if that's included in the goal

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.