Game is now officially delayed

Sounds like Sega want to cancel every damn project Obsidian starts.

I'm fine with Obsidian delaying their game because they think they need to. I am NOT cool with a **** publisher interfering like they did with Aliens and now AP.

Edit: I concede that given the lack of information it might have been Obsidian that forced the delay, but I think the likelihood of that is small and thus I have no qualms about ragging on Sega.

Edited by Krezack

But what if the game is already polished and has all the intended content

While I think Obsidian make some great games, you have to admit they have a reputation for releasing games in a buggy and/or incomplete state.

E.g. Neverwinter Nights 2 (incl expansions) and KOTOR2

I'm assuming that they have more control over the development of this game (at least relative to when they are developing sequels to the games of other developers for example), and thus there may be less pressure to release the game ASAP or adhere to strict deadlines set by non-Obsidian management etc. It really depends on who pushed for the delay; I'm hoping Obsidian did, rather than SEGA, so they can actually release a bug free game this time :nuke:

While I think Obsidian make some great games, you have to admit they have a reputation for releasing games in a buggy and/or incomplete state.

obsidian is the new troika... and just like troika they'll leave me alone in an endless ocean of mediocre bethesda and bioware brainfarts.

:sob:

So shut up.
If only they said something like that.

Imagine going to a car retailer.

- Hi, I may be interested in buying this car.

- Oh, that's great, it's a good car.

- Yeah, they don't make 'em like this anymore. Say, if I were to buy it today, when do you figure I could get it?

- Oh, soon enough.

- What?

- *stares blankly*

How long do these people think they can operate like this without going out of business? Are they taking business advice from Herve now?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

So, since the delay is more than a couple months, i can almost bet that there will be some severe design changes. Lets try out some ideas now, shall we?

- You can now play as "Michelle" Thorton.

- Instead of being "bad" at aiming, martial arts and tech at level 1, you will now start as jack-of-all-trades and unlock "more cool" animations as you progress instead.

- The placeholder characters for Michael and Michelle Thorton will have a more "comic book"-like look. Think big muscles, incredible jawlines, big boobs and hair that defies gravity.

- The story will be less morally "grey" than before. You are the good guy, working on the good side, period.

- You can now have a party consisting of a mindless tank, an "aggressive" woman with daddy-issues, a nerd, a female nerd, a texan demolitions-guy that "just wants to blow s**t up" and a japanese martial artist.

- You can no longer strike deals with terrorists, you can only turn them in, kill them bourne-style, or torture them and then kill them Bauer-style.

Any more takers?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

So, since the delay is more than a couple months, i can almost bet that there will be some severe design changes. Lets try out some ideas now, shall we?

- The placeholder characters for Michael and Michelle Thorton will have a more "comic book"-like look. Think big muscles, incredible jawlines, big boobs and hair that defies gravity.

THIS...

i fear. thats good and all for borderlands, i guess.. not getting it anyway (hate FPS).. but i can actually see this happening.

(please excuse the quote fail, im on my PS3)

Edited by Warren Bills

What if Obsidian is folding? Where would we all go?

Obsidian isn't folding. They're working on FO:NV. :lol:

Assuming that SEGA has paid Obsidian for AP (how else would they own it?), I see the worst case scenario as being that Obsidian takes hits to rep and morale and may need to regroup, but in no immediate danger of folding. I don't see Bethsoft allowing NV to fail, so I expect ways will be found to get from here to there.

Edited by Lady Evenstar

I don't think Obsidian will go down the Troika path. Feargus and the principles have done a good job of lining up projects and with New Vegas looking like it could be out for the Fall 2010 (just speculating -- Fallout 3 GOTY ed for this holiday season, Fallout NV for next and TESV/MMO for the following...) they should have an abundance of money hats to pass around once that happens. Also, isn't there a 3rd bun in the oven after Fallout NV?

Edited by blankers

If I understand things correctly, the developers do not make a whole lot of money on the actual sales. The publisher does however. Of course, a developer would still benefit from big sales because it would make them more attractive to publishers for upcoming games. I believe that was Troikas main problem. If I remember it right, none of their games failed to make a profit, but they did not make a profit big enough for any publisher to be interested in their post-apocalyptic project they had in the works.

It would seem to me that OEI is not in immediate danger because they're doing FO:NV for Bethesda, and I believe it was confirmed there was a publisher on board for their unannounced project.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

So correct me if Im wrong.

Publisher forces the game out before its ready: Bad publisher, you should have given them more time!

Publisher delays the game to get it polished for relase: Bad publisher, we want the game now!

Granted it could be the Aliens treatment but considering how far along AP is that seems pretty unlikely to me.

I do how they learn their lesson. Never do business with Sega again.

While no one could argue that Sega's handling of the relationship has been smooth, without knowing what the underlying issues have been, it's hard to say that they are the problem. You can't blame Sega for the recession--which may have had major impact on their business plans. You also can't blame them for possible flaws in the games (although you could ask why they didn't address them sooner!) Certainly, there's room for legitimate criticism of their processes, but I don't see that villainizing them serves any good purpose. As someone with a temper, I'd say that it's good to think twice before slamming doors shut.

Edited by Lady Evenstar

So correct me if Im wrong.

Publisher forces the game out before its ready: Bad publisher, you should have given them more time!

Publisher delays the game to get it polished for relase: Bad publisher, we want the game now!

Granted it could be the Aliens treatment but considering how far along AP is that seems pretty unlikely to me.

This.

Definately this.

However with minor correction that the silence is a negative.

I do how they learn their lesson. Never do business with Sega again.

While no one could argue that Sega's handling of the relationship has been smooth, without knowing what the underlying issues have been, it's hard to say that they are the problem. You can't blame Sega for the recession--which may have had major impact on their business plans. You also can't blame them for possible flaws in the games (although you could ask why they didn't address them sooner!) Certainly, there's room for legitimate criticism of their processes, but I don't see that villainizing them serves any good purpose. As someone with a temper, I'd say that it's good to be cautious about closing doors.

During the whole Aliens thing it was reported from seveal sources (however reliable those might be) that both AP and the Alien crpg had considerable internal development difficulties. How much of that can be laid at Sega's feet and how much is a problem with Obsidian's internal processes, we'll never know.

Simply out and out blaming Sega for everything is most likely neither accurate, nor, in the end, useful.

ANd until, if ever, we know why AP was pushed back, there's not much to say as assigning blame. Maybe Sega just loved AP so much that they want it made bigger abnd more expansive so they can push it harder next year.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.