Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Game is now officially delayed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
150 replies to this topic

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7019 posts
  • Backer

We have an official date people! The voices tell me AP will come Dec. 10. 100% confirmed shamanistic divination.

Goat entrails or something else? :lol:

Good ol' Grampy Bone.

that guy with hair

that guy with hair

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
More time for polish and to implement all planned content/ideas is good. No more KOTOR 2s please.

awsomeness

awsomeness

ironic clown of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
But what if the game is already polished and has all the intended content

Mr Nerve Damage

Mr Nerve Damage

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Mr Nerve Damage
xbox360achievements.org says "Alpha Protocol rescheduled for Spring 2010." Seems like a nice way to say "Hey gamers, guess what?...another title seems to have been delayed but we are tired of that word and so will now refer to all delays as schedule changes." Seems like other companies and people are trying to soften the blow of either the economy or game quality that is hurting this quarter.

GreasyDogMeat

GreasyDogMeat

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1636 posts

Then we've got a 'what the heck is goin' on man?' situation. I just hope its not a stupid reason. I don't really know why, for instance, they would delay AP for fear of competition from other games. The only real RPG competition I see for AP is Dragon Age and I'm far more interested in AP.

Until they come out and say something its nothing but a guessing game.

10 bucks they want to add 100 new women to bed! :nuke:

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2167 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
So who at Obsidian killed a black cat?

Humodour

Humodour

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 3563 posts
Sounds like Sega want to cancel every damn project Obsidian starts.

I'm fine with Obsidian delaying their game because they think they need to. I am NOT cool with a **** publisher interfering like they did with Aliens and now AP.

Edit: I concede that given the lack of information it might have been Obsidian that forced the delay, but I think the likelihood of that is small and thus I have no qualms about ragging on Sega.

Edited by Krezack, 06 October 2009 - 08:20 PM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8779 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Wait, so do we actually have an official confirmation now?

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4016 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It's about as official as the Aliens game was. Which is to say, they haven't come out and said it's delayed, but they're not denying it and their sites are showing it, which is as good of indication as any.

So shut up.

that guy with hair

that guy with hair

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

While I think Obsidian make some great games, you have to admit they have a reputation for releasing games in a buggy and/or incomplete state.
E.g. Neverwinter Nights 2 (incl expansions) and KOTOR2

I'm assuming that they have more control over the development of this game (at least relative to when they are developing sequels to the games of other developers for example), and thus there may be less pressure to release the game ASAP or adhere to strict deadlines set by non-Obsidian management etc. It really depends on who pushed for the delay; I'm hoping Obsidian did, rather than SEGA, so they can actually release a bug free game this time :nuke:

SuicideBunny

SuicideBunny

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

While I think Obsidian make some great games, you have to admit they have a reputation for releasing games in a buggy and/or incomplete state.

obsidian is the new troika... and just like troika they'll leave me alone in an endless ocean of mediocre bethesda and bioware brainfarts.
:sob:

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4016 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Tell us something Rorie.

Humodour

Humodour

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 3563 posts
OK, this silence is unnerving. Seriously, it reminds me strongly of how Sega used and abused Obsidian's Aliens RPG.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8107 posts
What if Obsidian is folding? Where would we all go?

Purkake

Purkake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8778 posts
The codex?

Or just meld into NeoGAF?

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2759 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Gee.. Sega screws things up once more and people start panicking... >_<

Humodour

Humodour

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 3563 posts

What if Obsidian is folding? Where would we all go?

I'd probably see if the Valve or Blizzard boards are to my liking.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4583 posts
  • Backer

So shut up.

If only they said something like that.

Imagine going to a car retailer.

- Hi, I may be interested in buying this car.
- Oh, that's great, it's a good car.
- Yeah, they don't make 'em like this anymore. Say, if I were to buy it today, when do you figure I could get it?
- Oh, soon enough.
- What?
- *stares blankly*

How long do these people think they can operate like this without going out of business? Are they taking business advice from Herve now?

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5178 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
So, since the delay is more than a couple months, i can almost bet that there will be some severe design changes. Lets try out some ideas now, shall we?

- You can now play as "Michelle" Thorton.
- Instead of being "bad" at aiming, martial arts and tech at level 1, you will now start as jack-of-all-trades and unlock "more cool" animations as you progress instead.
- The placeholder characters for Michael and Michelle Thorton will have a more "comic book"-like look. Think big muscles, incredible jawlines, big boobs and hair that defies gravity.
- The story will be less morally "grey" than before. You are the good guy, working on the good side, period.
- You can now have a party consisting of a mindless tank, an "aggressive" woman with daddy-issues, a nerd, a female nerd, a texan demolitions-guy that "just wants to blow s**t up" and a japanese martial artist.
- You can no longer strike deals with terrorists, you can only turn them in, kill them bourne-style, or torture them and then kill them Bauer-style.

Any more takers?

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4583 posts
  • Backer
Endgame boss will be replaced with this guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users