The Political Quinceañera Thread

Blarghagh

In my opinion, it was definitely one of the better speeches within the last 10 years that American presidents had given. It was funny to see everyone clapping and standing except for one group of people who were visibly grinding their teeth. Lemme guess, those were the only people with "sense"? Lol

I think the president did well to show legitimate compassion for vets and families who have lost someone. I was saddened to be in the right to think "Oh boy, it's only a matter of time before some angry democrats start commenting on a youtube video saying that Trump and his cabinet hired actors" which happened as soon as the videos uploaded.

Also, gotta credit the first lady who was clearly trolling nay-sayers such as Sarah Beachamp by faking being uncomfortable/sad and then laughing about it afterwards..

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here is the video of the Sarah Beauchamp interview the night before:

https://youtu.be/cjo-d8jvkOA

The democratic response... well, looks like non-Trump supporters are angrier than ever because our president gave a good speech and hit on some important topics with some statistically valued facts. I understand that democrats want him to fail and are pointing out every little thing as desperation is calling them to but at least he extended his hand to democrats and is doing so in an effort of relievibg them from fear. Republicans on the other hand seem happy again but appears they have a new democratic problem to deal with, now if we can just force republicans hands to our side, maybe things would go much smoother for us all. I don't know.

Were you happy with the speech or no?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Trump certainly has improved on his ability to read from a teleprompter over the past year.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I was very pleased by what I saw last night. Very pleased indeed. The folks I like were cheering the and rest were sitting on their hands grinding their teeth. It was definitely compelling TV. It was very exciting. Matheson, Dadonov, Yandle, and Huberdeau all scored goals. Harri Sateri stopped 32 shots and got his first NHL win in goal and the Panthers beat the Islanders 4-1.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was very pleased by what I saw last night. Very pleased indeed. The folks I like were cheering the and rest were sitting on their hands grinding their teeth. It was definitely compelling TV. It was very exciting. Matheson, Dadonov, Yandle, and Huberdeau all scored goals. Harri Sateri stopped 32 shots and got his first NHL win in goal and the Panthers beat the Islanders 4-1.

But is it normal for people to clap and cheer over literally every comment a president makes...I cant recall if thats normal to other State of the Unions I have seen?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But is it normal for people to clap and cheer over literally every comment a president makes...I cant recall if thats normal to other State of the Unions I have seen?

I wasn't kidding when I called it political theater. That isn't new. It's been that way as long as I can remember. The first one of those I remember watching was Gerald Ford in '75. He's obligated to nothing he said in that speech. And if he was a Democrat and said essentially the same things the Dems would be cheering and Republicans stone faced. It's a farce.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Trump's state of the union speech causes fact-checking website to crash

A fact-checking website crashed as scores of people checked the accuracy of Donald Trump's State of the Union speech.

PolitiFact, which is owned by the non-profit Poynter Institute and run from a reporting team at the Tampa Bay Times, experienced issues after people flooded to the site to check the US President was delivering the correct information.

The non-partisan website cited high traffic numbers as the cause of the issue in a post on Twitter which read: "Welp ... our website just crashed. Thanks for reading ?!!? We'll keep things up here on Twitter while we see what happened."

During Mr Trump’s speech on Tuesday, the site rated his statements on a spectrum that ranged from “mostly true” to “pants on fire” wrong.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/31/politics/nunes-memo-law-enforcement/index.html

Guys this type of misleading misinformation potentially released by some in the GOP should concern all of us....

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Oh... CNN.

Edit: Nevermind

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

In my opinion, it was definitely one of the better speeches within the last 10 years that American presidents had given. It was funny to see everyone clapping and standing except for one group of people who were visibly grinding their teeth. Lemme guess, those were the only people with "sense"? Lol

I think the president did well to show legitimate compassion for vets and families who have lost someone. I was saddened to be in the right to think "Oh boy, it's only a matter of time before some angry democrats start commenting on a youtube video saying that Trump and his cabinet hired actors" which happened as soon as the videos uploaded.

Also, gotta credit the first lady who was clearly trolling nay-sayers such as Sarah Beachamp by faking being uncomfortable/sad and then laughing about it afterwards..

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here is the video of the Sarah Beauchamp interview the night before:

https://youtu.be/cjo-d8jvkOA

The democratic response... well, looks like non-Trump supporters are angrier than ever because our president gave a good speech and hit on some important topics with some statistically valued facts. I understand that democrats want him to fail and are pointing out every little thing as desperation is calling them to but at least he extended his hand to democrats and is doing so in an effort of relievibg them from fear. Republicans on the other hand seem happy again but appears they have a new democratic problem to deal with, now if we can just force republicans hands to our side, maybe things would go much smoother for us all. I don't know.

Were you happy with the speech or no?

You must not watch many speeches. Funny post though.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'd ask what makes you come up with such an assumption but I would just be pretending I cared. So for now I'll just agree with you, nodding my head on this side of the screen.

Edited by SonicMage117

I'd ask what makes you come up with such an assumption but I would just be pretending I cared. So for now I'll just agree with you, nodding my head on this side of the screen.

I didn't bother to watch it, as Trump lost me as someone who will bother to listen to his speeches after his U.N. speech.

The bar is very low for good Presidential speeches in the last 10 30+ years, so I can easily see you being correct that it's the best one.

The vitriol no doubt is at an all time high this millennium and still climbing, so you're likely right about your observations on the opposition as well.

Certainly, no one grinds their teeth quite like Nancy Pelosi. It's comical, until you remember just how truly propped up, paid for, and incompetent she is. Eh... it's still funny, dark times calls for dark humor.

• Like 3

Kind of defeats your first sentence when you actually include it in a post, but for one, it's that you mentioned the opposition sitting and pouting. I guess I should have written you haven't watched any in 10 years, rather than many, if you think that notable.

As for 'legitimate compassion', that was the second funny bit, but eh, meshback gonna meshback.

Ward said the officers kept BB guns in their vehicles “in case we accidentally hit somebody or got into a shootout, so we could plant them.” He did not say whether the officers ever planted a BB gun on anyone.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-gun-trace-task-force-gttf-testimony-highlights-20180126-story.html

Well, pays to be prepared, I guess.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/31/politics/nunes-memo-law-enforcement/index.html

Guys this type of misleading misinformation potentially released by some in the GOP should concern all of us....

Like the NSA concerns you?

NSA?

Not in the slightest, I trust institutions like the NSA, CIA and FBI  on most matters. 

This GOP memo is a deliberate attempt to misrepresent information and  the FBI has publicly criticized the GOP move, unusual for them

John Milton 

NSA?

Not in the slightest, I trust institutions like the NSA, CIA and FBI  on most matters. 

This GOP memo is a deliberate attempt to misrepresent information and  the FBI has publicly criticized the GOP move, unusual for them

LOL

NSA?

Disagree completely. I have less than zero trust in armed federal agents with unlimited power executing vague warrants granted by secret courts. We are one or two short steps away from having an agency that "makes people disappear". It's come to this because we the people were not vigilant. By supporting things like the Patriot Act, FISA, and the dozen or so other programs that made them what they have become we've climbed the gallows, tied the knot, and handed them the rope. Some folks comfort themselves by thinking the government is only using this power to protect them from "bad guys". But sooner or later might decide the "bad guy" is YOU.

I don't know the details of this memo. But there is evidence there were abuses of surveillance and even an attempt to play Kingmaker. I can't think of a single good reason why that should not be exposed if true.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Here is another fine example of government looking out for us. A bill in California will fine servers in restaurants $1k and six months in jail for offering customers a plastic straw.  Do you know anyone working as a waiter or waitress who can afford $1000 fine and six months in the can?

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/25/california-bill-would-criminalize-restau

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

NSA?

Not in the slightest, I trust institutions like the NSA, CIA and FBI on most matters.

This GOP memo is a deliberate attempt to misrepresent information and the FBI has publicly criticized the GOP move, unusual for them

No the FBI is playing damage control by discrediting before it comes out. Before I would be of the same attitude if it wasn't for Comey and the AG at the time and their actions with the Clinton emails. Meeting with Bill at the airport, Comey saying there's nothing illegal about the emails WITHOUT even looking at them because they were viewed by an outside source from the FBI, Comey changing tune closer to election when Trump actually seemed viable.

Wayyyyy to many red flags the past year with the FBI seemingly being "loyal" to a party when it should be separate from party politics.

I say bring out the memo!

Also with Trey Gowdy resigning means that next election, the republicans lost their only candidate I woulda voted for for them.

Edited by redneckdevil

Yep, the FBI is indeed a liberal organization. Given how involved Nunes of all people is in this, I'm somewhat skeptical of how serious this is.

Edited by Malcador

Comey did do a bunch of dumb things, I'd agree with that. As for the memo, it appears that Trump has said outright that he views it as a way to discredit the Mueller investigation, which is a total red flag to me that the memo shouldn't be released. It's pretty damn obvious that they're playing politics with it.

Still, like most anybody, I'm dang curious as to what the whole memo is and what they're making a big deal about.

I mean, the memo itself will probably be worthless, as it's likely to be just a bunch of talking points. The underlying classified info (whom I believe only Schiff and Gowdy have seen...and Gowdy just announced that he was resigning right after the memo was voted to be released) is what's actually of value...but we won't get that (probably for good reasons, but still). Furthermore, we won't even get the Democrats' rebuttal to the GOP talking points, as they voted down the Dems' own memo that was in response. Smells a bit like partisan hackery.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well, the memo will be released tomorrow. It's a funny thing. These are the possibilities as I see it:

• The information in the memo is completely true and the FBI was abusing it's position and trying to affect the election. And that is why they are objecting
  • The information in the memo is completely true and the FBI was abusing it's position but not tying to affect the election. But they are worried methods and sources may be compromised.
  • The memo is not completely true but paints the FBI in a bad light to undermine other investigations that rely on FBI sources and data
  • Any of the previous three with the memo being altered to be not completely true
  • Any of the first three with the memo being altered to be false
  • Everything is the memo was mostly false and it's all just a cynical political attempt to undermine the FBI for stated reasons.

I could easily believe any one of these is the truth. The problem is, every last player in this sad little skit is a goddamed liar without a shred of integrity or credibility. So no matter which of these actually IS true I'll never know and wouldn't believe any one who does know. I can absolutely buy the FBI abusing it's authority to help Hillary. I can absolutely believe the  Republicans are throwing the FBI under the bus for political reasons. I can absolutely believe the whole thing is made up and none of it's true. It's a funny situation really.

Thomas Sowell