What are you playing now

Rosbjerg

I used to have a hard time killing any sentient being in ANY game whenever good/bad was a choice somewhere.

Then I guess I got bored of myself always going that way and will now kill anything if it gets me something I want. I won't out of only gleeful randomness or if the reward is "5gp and some pocket lint". But otherwise...I'm an old mercenary witch now. Gimme, I say.

...and I'm still mucking about with the Ignis DLC, trying to get higher than an "A" in all battle/chapt. tallies.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I just don't like killing people if I have the option of not killing them. Think of their families!

If you're the bad guy, and the people you work for don't even provide life insurance. Then I don't think I have much sympathy.

Think about savescumming as payout of your life insurance :p

That's what I love about some games like Blood Money. No saves. Get the entire mission right or don't get it at all. Some of them are crazy hard to get SA. On the other hand, I actually like that you can get some save game forgiveness in Dishonored.

χαίρετε

What is it with developers and their love for knockback/knockdown attacks that interrupt players' actions and stop them from doing anything?

It is as if there is a secret blacksite where devs get taught that the best way to make a game experience is by preventing players from actually playing.

I sometimes wonder if devs have ever actually played a game...

It's a lazy way to create "difficulty". Iirc a Blizzard dev commented on this (in regards with permastunning thieves in WoW PvP) that leaving players in a situation where they don't have any actions they can take (eg. being stunned or knocked down without any active ways to recover quickly) is extremely bad game design and they try to avoid it at all cost.

Unfortunately most developers haven't gotten that memo yet.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 2

I just don't like killing people if I have the option of not killing them. Think of their families!

Death is the servant of the righteous.

Going back to San Andreas from 4 and 5 is interesting, still like 4's driving the best.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What is it with developers and their love for knockback/knockdown attacks that interrupt players' actions and stop them from doing anything?

It is as if there is a secret blacksite where devs get taught that the best way to make a game experience is by preventing players from actually playing.

It's a lazy way to create "difficulty". Iirc a Blizzard dev commented on this (in regards with permastunning thieves in WoW PvP) that leaving players in a situation where they don't have any actions they can take (eg. being stunned or knocked down without any active ways to recover quickly) is extremely bad game design and they try to avoid it at all cost.

There is a boss fight in Spellforce 3 where the enemy starts the AoE knockback attack during the in-game cutscene, and by the time control is returned to the player, the attack is just about to go off.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Nothing will top Mechwarrior 4. In game cutscenes run but the game is still running as well, so enemy mechs are still shooting at you.  

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I always found it amusing that people complained about permastun in wow but have no problem with the druids heals/beast shape, disc priest (seriously wtf), or holy pallys in pvp.

"OMG I can't move bc someone blew all their CDs on me but then the person gets ganked by the next person bc no CDs" is more of a problem than "omfg I've done nothing but ****ing massive dmg to this damn druid but bc of the hots and cat/bear form running around and I die from being nickled and dined over several mins".....

"I can't do anything but can easily kill them the next time I or a team mate sees them if shortly" to "OMG why I am even dps when this person can easily heal thru but since I can't heal I'm gonna lose".

Anyone in pvp would much rather face a rogue than a druid or a disc priest or even a holy pally.

I always found it amusing that people complained about permastun in wow but have no problem with the druids heals/beast shape, disc priest (seriously wtf), or holy pallys in pvp.

"OMG I can't move bc someone blew all their CDs on me but then the person gets ganked by the next person bc no CDs" is more of a problem than "omfg I've done nothing but ****ing massive dmg to this damn druid but bc of the hots and cat/bear form running around and I die from being nickled and dined over several mins".....

"I can't do anything but can easily kill them the next time I or a team mate sees them if shortly" to "OMG why I am even dps when this person can easily heal thru but since I can't heal I'm gonna lose".

Anyone in pvp would much rather face a rogue than a druid or a disc priest or even a holy pally.

Well, permastun means you can't do anything but get wailed on by a high DPS character. The bear, disc priest and holy paladin sacrifice damage for endurance and just wear you down. Seems reasonable, kind of unfair to have the latter group just be an easy kill.

I'm not sure how current balance issues invalidate this dev comment (which was made during the TBC/early WotLK era).

I haven't played the game in quite a long time (had a quick stint earlier this year, decided there was nothing in WoW for me anymore) so I'm not aware of the current state of the (end)game.

Edited by marelooke

As a former resto druid I have to say that what is unfair about the comparison is that you could have hit me for hours and I wouldn't have dropped dead, but you could just wander off to find an easier target. I would not have been able to stop you. I only was dangerous to you when supporting someone else. With a stunlocking rogue you would have sat there and watched the screen, just waiting to be dead. With the healing character you had choices. Perhaps killing them wasn't one of them, but you could turn around and leave.

but what it boils own to for me is that I play a game to play. It means active participation. If I spend long stretches just watching the action, then I am not playing.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Back to Spellforce 3. Trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible:

I have established a base of operations.

I now need allies. The game gives me three options. I do not know if I just choose the order and can ally with all three, or if I will get restricted from some because the developers decided choices that matter means arbitrary restrictions (as developers usually do).

So without spoilers (of factions, races etc) the choices are:

a) The guys who said "I know our armies just slaughtered each other, and legally we were in the wrong. And sorry our side overreacted, but ethically we were in the right, you'll see."

b) The woman who said "Thanks for saving us. You have the looks of a person who'll get into trouble and will need help. Look me up when you do, I know people."

c) The guy who said "That was impressive enough how you slaughtered that camp. Why would I be upset? They had it coming and I claim no kinship with them. Look me up, I think we can work together. But I won't wait forever."

(a and c were different fights)

Edited by melkathi

It's interesting how I used to think I liked crpg's. Maybe not as much/as deeply as many here, I think, but the ones I found to enjoy, I loved a lot.

I think however, what I liked was less the "rpg" aspect (major choices/consequences, factions, whatever) and more that I enjoyed the action/combats in a setting with more character interest than, say, Diablo's (which these days I don't find very interesting for very long). If that makes sense. FO:NV, guns and snipers, Boone, Arcade, deathclaws, yehaw! BG1, magic missile and stealthing around everywhere, Xan the droopy elf, micro-managing party movements. KOTOR2, lightsabers! Atton! Disciple! More lightsabers! FFXV, link strikes, Noct, warp striking, Ignis, air-dancing combat! Might and Magic 7, flying, invisible, alchemy, those dungeons! (ok that one had little chr. depth...) etc.

You'd think I'd like "action/fps" games more, but that isn't the type of combat I like at all, even tho I also like fast-paced, real-time action.

So hard to find stuff I like, nowadays. Either has way too much RPG or not enough RPG. :p

*runs off the play more FFXV so I can kick Ardyn's butt again*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Completed Faery - Legends of Avalon.
There were:

• Bearable combat (turn-based, Final Fantasy-like, very simplistic) and plot (more or less makes sense);
  • Nice graphics (style and technical level) and soundtrack;
  • No VA (much appreciated);
  • Unrebindable controls;
  • Some choices during the story (fight/persuade) and character progression (equipment and abilities are visible on the avatar*).

*so at the end the avatar had horns, wings, scorpion tail and 3 tattoos.

• Like 1

Hmm, decided to put the part of the main quest I was doing on hold for a bit and do a side quest in Spellforce 3. Went back to the main quest and suddenly these troops come rushing at my base. I went to counter charge, and then the quest npc from the sidequest starts talking, and cussing and warns me of an ambush. The troops rushing the base being him and the men he managed to get to safety because I had done the sidequest. Made tearing down the enemy camp so much easier.

• Like 1

Always difficult to tell how far into the game you actually are in open world games, where there are a lot of side content to do that could potentially be part of the percentage you have yet to complete.

I'm probably somewhere halfway through Rise of the Tomb Raider's main story, but I can't be sure because I've also got quite a bit of side content to go.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I decided to take Humanoid's advice. Well... actually I somehow managed to kill one of those bloodfly keepers. I'm not even going to bother going back. Really, it is no longer human. You should lose chaos by killing the shuffling zombified bastards, but no biggie. Now that I've got that one kill, I have an excuse to do a non-lethal run with the kid next.

χαίρετε

So apparently I have been playing on Hard all this time. Some things make sense now.

LOL... :)

I wish Square would add hard mode to XV already, for goodness sake. Just don't understand it....