Politics - Episode 9: The Lurking Fear

Rosbjerg

The United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination has issued a warning to the US over events in Charlottesville. Previously this committee has gone after Burundi, Nigeria, Rwanda and Ivory Coast where the military has engaged in mass murdering specific ethnic groups. So, CNN estimated the total amount of protesters, Antifi, miscellaneous white supremacists, and spectators at Charlottesville to be around 2k people. None of whom are affiliated with the government of the US or the state of Virginia (except the cops who backed off at the first sign of trouble). 2k people in a country of 323M who protested no one that day. And one SOB in a car whose best case prospects is the rest of his natural life in state prison.

Sure I could see the UN issuing a warning because genocide and a handful of radical right racists marching and shouting and 1 murderer are totally the same thing right? https://www.yahoo.com/news/un-racism-committee-issues-warning-over-us-tensions-103644308.html

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just a middle finger to Trump. Kind of funny at least. Surprised your leader hasn't been bleating on about leaving or defunding it as a result of this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

An Italian mayor has ordered cops to shoot on sight anyone who shouts ‘’Allahu Akbar’’ rather than risk a terror attack

No risk of abuse there!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just a middle finger to Trump. Kind of funny at least. Surprised your leader hasn't been bleating on about leaving or defunding it as a result of this.

This just happened... give it a few days

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well you can't shout "Fire" in a theater more "hijack" at an airport. So shouting "Allahu Akbar" in context out over a crowded public place does seem to tempt engendering mass panic and terror. Should that person be shot? Well if they meant no malice one should certainly think not, but if they were you'd need to respond promptly. It's very unpleasant that such a warning need be given, but here we are. Given law enforcement's responsibilities to the people wouldn't you rather have people aware of that risk in order to avoid tempting such hysteria and confusion? Further it's clear he is making this comment with regards to the recent attack in Barcelona and is speaking on maintaining a state of alertness over attacks. If they were shooting to disarm or immobilize I'd say there is even more justification to be found in this policy.

• Like 1

An Italian mayor has ordered cops to shoot on sight anyone who shouts ‘’Allahu Akbar’’ rather than risk a terror attack

No risk of abuse there!

True freedom is cops gunning down anyone they say said something.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Well you can't shout "Fire" in a theater more "hijack" at an airport. So shouting "Allahu Akbar" in context out over a crowded public place does seem to tempt engendering mass panic and terror. Should that person be shot? Well if they meant no malice one should certainly think not, but if they were you'd need to respond promptly. It's very unpleasant that such a warning need be given, but here we are. Given law enforcement's responsibilities to the people wouldn't you rather have people aware of that risk in order to avoid tempting such hysteria and confusion? Further it's clear he is making this comment with regards to the recent attack in Barcelona and is speaking on maintaining a state of alertness over attacks. If they were shooting to disarm or immobilize I'd say there is even more justification to be found in this policy.

People who shout "God Bless" in public should be shot as well in order to avoid discrimination. 

I  cant say I have ever heard Muslims going around and saying " "Allahu Akbar" unless its in the context of some kind of terrorist attack or Jihad or military outcome 

But I am not really an expert on Arabic and dont  really pay attention when people speak it ?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If conservative Christians multiple times a year for over a decade were yelling god bless and going on knife attacks in all over south east Asia then I'd understand them to having to start taking faster in-moment action, and I would expect them to give a public warning on the matter if any such policy change occurred. When the context of something previously innocuously has changed. Let's say your non-fundamentalist Christian, by abstaining from shouting such a thing you are living forward a civic responsibility that is also healing towards relations and distrusts and latent fear that has been engendered. It might even be a moral imperative to understand the context, not behave that way, and to allow law enforcement one additional tool to take action. You may even counter, "what if they just stop shouting god bless?" well they could but some will still shout it out of principle. This is at least a step, and all members of a society must work to hold together a working social fabric in an unideal world.

Perhaps you don't think the a priori conditions merit such a course of action yet, but I don't think it's so out of the question that they would arise. I think however they already have.

People who shout "God Bless" in public should be shot as well in order to avoid discrimination. 

I  cant say I have ever heard Muslims going around and saying " "Allahu Akbar" unless its in the context of some kind of terrorist attack or Jihad or military outcome 

But I am not really an expert on Arabic and dont  really pay attention when people speak it ?

It means "god is great", it is phrase which Muslims use in their five daily prayers they should do. Interestingly it is phrase which use predates Islam.

Edited by Elerond

No risk of abuse there!

True freedom is cops gunning down anyone they say said something.

Well, or if the cop feels fear for his life.

I'm speechless. Media are literally starting to target Trump supporters and voters. I'm afraid that if the liberals will regain (by elections or coup) power, then the Trump voter will face the same treaent as japanese americans during WWII.

"target" folks who literally put themselves in front of cameras?  guy is waving signs in front row at national televised events and is asking folks to visit his website.  utterly shocking when somebody actual does visit site and look into the gentleman's background.

then again, am thinking it is kinda shocking anybody bothered to actual go to the advertised website.

'course much like sharp's "collusion" flub, it will be fun to revisit this post the next time he links a breitbart article 'bout how some alt-left clown at a berkeley rally throwing punches represents democrats en masse, or when a random schmuck in ferguson or baltimore somehow becomes the face of blm.

though the comparison to victimized trump supporters and japanese americans during ww2 was, if nothing else, amusing for the unintentional hyperbole... which we hope we don't need explain again how is nonsensical to be using same statement as both dead serious and comical hyperbolic. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It mean god is great, it is phrase which Muslims use in their five daily prayers they should do. Interestingly it is phrase which use predates Islam.

I

Interesting, but when its used in the context we are referring to its normally screamed aloud and only those words are used ...its definitely not used in a nice way ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It mean god is great, it is phrase which Muslims use in their five daily prayers they should do. Interestingly it is phrase which use predates Islam.

I

Interesting, but when its used in the context we are referring to its normally screamed aloud and only those words are used ...its definitely not used in a nice way ?

It is used in several situations

In prayer, as mentioned

In times of distress

In times of joy and gratitude

Following births and deaths

During the Eid Festival and the Hajj

In west it is most commonly linked to Jihadists/terrorists who use it as their battle cry. It usage as battle cry by Jihadist/terrorists is probably inspired by fact Muhammad and his followers used it as their battle cry.

So in sort it is used both in nice and in not nice way

• Like 1

Can't they just use Deus Vult? xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I

It is used in several situations

In prayer, as mentioned

In times of distress

In times of joy and gratitude

Following births and deaths

During the Eid Festival and the Hajj

In west it is most commonly linked to Jihadists/terrorists who use it as their battle cry. It usage as battle cry by Jihadist/terrorists is probably inspired by fact Muhammad and his followers used it as their battle cry.

So in sort it is used both in nice and in not nice way

Fair enough :)

John Milton 

Can't they just use Deus Vult? xD

Anyone yelling that should be shot too, at least based on the edgelord types I see using it :p

• Like 1

I'm speechless. Media are literally starting to target Trump supporters and voters. I'm afraid that if the liberals will regain (by elections or coup) power, then the Trump voter will face the same treaent as japanese americans during WWII.
"target" folks who literally put themselves in front of cameras? guy is waving signs in front row at national televised events and is asking folks to visit his website. utterly shocking when somebody actual does visit site and look into the gentleman's background.

then again, am thinking it is kinda shocking anybody bothered to actual go to the advertised website.

'course much like sharp's "collusion" flub, it will be fun to revisit this post the next time he links a breitbart article 'bout how some alt-left clown at a berkeley rally throwing punches represents democrats en masse, or when a random schmuck in ferguson or baltimore somehow becomes the face of blm.

though the comparison to victimized trump supporters and japanese americans during ww2 was, if nothing else, amusing for the unintentional hyperbole... which we hope we don't need explain again how is nonsensical to be using same statement as both dead serious and comical hyperbolic.

HA! Good Fun!

So showing on a rally is the same as beating people or destoying property. Cool story bro.

HA! Good Fun!

maybe you didn't read the linked story.  "showing on a rally" were not what makes "Michael the Black Man" newsworthy.  

regardless, we will indeed revisit when you choose to attribute the actions o' one or two people to an entire group.  will no doubt be fascinating.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)