Politics - Episode 9: The Lurking Fear

Rosbjerg

Wow, Bannon out. Is there any precedent for this type of turn over?

After the election I was like, "Ok, gotta give the guy a chance to do his stuff." But it just seems to be getting worse and worse every week. How about just stopping with the tweets? That would seem to be an easy first step.

• Like 2

How will Prietprat blow now with Bannon gone?

Is that like, the Russian translation of Brietbart?

Anyhow, they're definetly rallying to his defense, with one senior editor going #WAR in a tweet.

Incidentially, WH staffers are saying that he was supposed to have been fired two weeks ago, but it got put off.. Which gives some credence to the Brietbart/Bannon line that he had resigned on the 7th.

After the election I was like, "Ok, gotta give the guy a chance to do his stuff." But it just seems to be getting worse and worse every week. How about just stopping with the tweets? That would seem to be an easy first step.

The only real precedent is when a major scandal happens, but it feels like theres a major scandal or a major development to a scandal every week or every other week.

Edited by smjjames

Fast food joints?

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

An interesting article on Bannon leaving: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/18/bannon-exits-white-house-will-former-adviser-wage-war-on-trumps-team-from-outside.html

The Washington Post’s Robert Costa reports that Bannon has told associates in recent days that after he leaves, the Trump White House will be “Democrats, bankers and hawks.”

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

WoD, I'm curious who you think is in the right here (if the quote is accurate.) Bannon or Trump?

I'd probably agree with Bannon myself in this scenario. I'm not sure I'd word it the same way, but the Trump White House does seem to be completely disconnected to the Republican party at this point.

Not completely disconnected from the Republican party, there's still Pence and some other Cabinet members. But in terms of the rest of the WH staff and Trump burning political capital, yeah, they've pretty much severed themselves from the Republican party.

I was under the impression that Trump had to do what Bernie did and that's run Dem or Rep to have an actual chance of winning. Bernie wasn't democrat and Trump isn't republican in actuality, just ran under that party in name? Isn't that why both parties were so eagered to get rid them during the election?

Edited by redneckdevil
  • Like 1

I was under the impression that Trump had to do what Bernie did and that's run Dem or Rep to have an actual chance of winning. Bernie wasn't democrat and Trump isn't republican in actuality, just ran under that party in name? Isn't that why both parties were so eagered to get rid them during the election?

Correct.

I take it this was a signal to the republicans that he is willing to play ball.

More like he bullied them into playing ball with him. Did have to make a few compromises like an establishment based VP. Though he did have some initial second thoughts and was like "Can I change my mind? Is it too late to change my mind?".

I think that sums it up perfectly

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-18/bannon-says-he-s-going-to-war-for-trump-after-white-house-exit

So Bannon is going to war for Trump.....he mean he hasnt already been?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

How will Prietprat blow now with Bannon gone?

This was hilarious to me because Prietpraat is dutch for prattle, drivel, claptrap, hogwash, gobbledegook, poppy****. Etc.

It's unfair to hogwash to compare it to Right-Wing Gawker.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

On a certain area of current political thinking...

You appear to believe that the only two positions a person can hold on immigration are ‘let them all in’ and ‘kick them all out.’ You refuse to accept that there are shades of grey between the two absolutes, or that someone can have concerns about immigration without being a raving racist. This is fundamentally absurd.

The majority of UKIP supporters - or at least the ones I have met - believe in a fundamental reformation of immigration policy so that we accept and keep immigrants who can and will benefit Britain - and, more importantly, don’t pose a threat to the UK. You may feel that this is unreasonable. I do not.

In the unlikely event of a UKIP getting a majority in parliament, I don't believe that everyone who cannot trace their families back to pre-Norman Conquest England will be kicked out. I do not believe, even, that there will be a mass purge of everyone whose grandparents arrived after WW2. I do not believe, in short, that my wife - who poses no threat - will be threatened with deportation. If I am wrong, I will leave the UK with her.

The problem with your approach to politics is that you do not appear to believe that anyone who disagrees with you might have a legitimate reason to disagree. Instead, you assume that they are motivated by evil - and, because you think they are evil, you try to shut them down. This is not conductive to peace, freedom and human development.

As far as I am concerned, there are certain acts which are beyond the pale - regardless of who does them or why. Attacking your political enemies, mindless vandalism, shutting down campuses, forcing speakers to be disinvited, emotional bullying and blackmail ... they are all fascist acts. They speak of minds that are unable to comprehend the fact that people can and do disagree. Like I said, both fascism and communism are effectively identical. Once they get into power, they stamp on everyone who disagrees with them.

You may offer me a choice between Nazis and ANTIFA. I say that that is a false choice. I don’t have to commit to either extreme. I prefer to stay with the rational people. I believe in the rule of law, law that applies to everyone. I’m not interested in excuses. People who commit violence in the name of [political or religious cause] should be taken off the streets.

I don’t agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. And I will also defend someone else’s right to disagree with you. This is not a zero-sum game. Our society needs different viewpoints to survive. It’s as simple as that. Trying to understand - even to explain - why someone might hold a political view you or I find repulsive is not the same as endorsing it. The fact that far too many people believe it does explains a great deal about our current problems.

I do look forward to seeing how you assert that the above is somehow a defence of fascism

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

PoliticalWire - Secret Service has blown its budget protecting Trump

“The Secret Service can no longer afford to pay hundreds of agents it needs to carry out an expanded protective mission – in large part due to the sheer size of President Trump’s family and efforts necessary to secure their multiple residences up and down the East Coast.”

“Secret Service Director Randolph ‘Tex’ Alles said more than 1,000 agents have already hit the federally mandated caps for salary and overtime allowances that were meant to last the entire year. The agency has faced a crushing workload since the height of the contentious election season, and it has not relented in the first seven months of the administration. Agents must protect Trump – who has traveled almost every weekend to his properties in Florida, New Jersey and Virginia – and his adult children whose business trips and vacations have taken them across the country and overseas.”

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Should outsource that to Blackwater.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra