What you did today

Gorth

Had a couple interviews today and I didn't think I nailed them but they both already called me back with offers. Another interview tomorrow and I think one Friday as well

One of my dogs seems to have a UTI and has a vet appointment tomorrow

That's it for me

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

My birthday was on memorial day this year and my kids mom surprised me with lodging at the great wolf lodge.

Still here with the kids and her and it's a great place! Having a great time, this place is awesome.

Happy birthday! =)

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

My birthday was on memorial day this year and my kids mom surprised me with lodging at the great wolf lodge.

Still here with the kids and her and it's a great place! Having a great time, this place is awesome.

Happy belated Birthday!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hey, random part of the internet, this random internet guy just got accepted to the nursing master's program and received his first email from his advisor today!  Huzzah!  Considering where my life was some scant five years ago, I would classify this as a miracle!  With any luck, I'll be going for my DNP soon after I'm done!

Don't want to bore people about it, but there had to be some place for me to jump for joy without carrying on long enough to get on anyone's nerves!

• Like 6

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

I drank about 11 Angry Orchard hard ciders over three hours Saturday night. And started chatting up an old High School ladyfriend on Facebook as a result.

I don't think it went terribly.

Edit: Also, I'm about 80% sure my wallet is in the wash.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Finished buying all my stuff for next weekend's 24hr endurance obstacle race - True Grit. You have to be self sufficient with your stuff in a pit area with the other competitors. Have my marquee, stretcher bed, table, chair, portable stove, food, race nutrition, wetsuit, etc. It's a 10.8 km (6.7 mile) loop with 30 obstacles and you have to see how many laps you can do in 24hrs. There's solo and team events and I'm doing it solo. Last years solo winner did 14 laps and is aiming to do 15 this year.

This is my first time at it and I'm told the cold is the worst part being in the middle of winter and that water is going to feel like ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b_R6pI83P8

• Like 1

story time

my mother and grandma came to visit me for easter with my brother. my brother left because he only had 2 days of leave and had to go back to work, so after they stayed here for a week, i took them back home in my car and decided to stay there a week myself (i live 350km from where my mother lives)

i was thinking of coming home Sunday but my mother asked me to take my grandma to visit her brother on that day so i said "ok, i can leave Monday".

Monday, my mother needed me to take her to an event hosted by the ministry of education (she's a teacher and she doesn't drive) in the evening so i had to stay one more day back.

Tuesday, just as i was getting ready to go, the phone rings and i learn that my uncle (my father's brother) died and the funeral was Thursday.

i had to stay until Thursday to take my mother to the funeral (280km in the opposite direction from where i live) and we got back Friday.

meanwhile, my grandma's sister was diagnosed with cancer (she lives close to where i live) so my mother asked me to take my grandma on Sunday, bring her to her sister and then go home... she would take the bus back later.

on the way the car breaks down, the engine went FUBAR (3rd time overheating) and i had to go back to my mother's home. the mechanic said that it would take 1000 euro to put in an undamaged used engine (if i payed cash "tax free")

i called a cousin of mine who is a mechanic and he told me that more or less that is the price anyone would ask, but that it was far too risky to do the engine swap in a 17 year old car, since there is no chance to find a new engine and even with the best of intentions, there is no guarantee that the used put in would not break down in a month.

so i went out on the hunt for a decent used car

i was taking my time to see if i may stumble upon a good offer as i did back in 2004, when i found that 4 year old Hyundai (1500cc, 90bhp) with only 30k km for just 4000 euro

but the anxiety of my grandma about her sister was growing exponentially every day that passed and i didn't get a new car and by Friday she got herself a stroke

so, being the only person who had no work to do, i had to pass a week babysitting my grandma in the hospital (the severity of the stroke was barely 1/10 so she was pretty much back to normal after 24 hours, but standard procedure in these cases is to keep the patient inside for 1 week for observation)

so for that week i didn't get any chance to look for a car since i was staying 12 hours in the hospital to put my mother's mind at ease.

after my grandma came home, i went back to searching and by Friday i found a Chevrolet Lacetti of 2006 (1600cc, 110bhp) with only 70k km at 3000 euro (the guy selling it was leaving for Australia by the end of June and couldn't take the car with him, so he was giving it away cheap)

however, the ministry department where purchases of new cars or swapping of a car's ownership are registered, needs a week after registration to provide the card that is proof of ownership of a car and allows to drive it legally

and this is how my one week time off, became 6 weeks of suffering... and of keeping my business closed

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Things happened at work. Specifically johnathan frakes came in. Apparently he's shooting the librarians in town

Edited by Calax
  • Like 5

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Why is he murdering librarians ?

• Like 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Shooting them isn't necessarily murdering them... maybe they had it coming?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

tis a tv show. Also shot leverage up here

Why is Johnathan Frakes killing librarians for a TV show? :huh:

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Who is Leverage and why did Jonathan Frakes shoot him?

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18813862_10207242218612351_3360755233311325328_n.jpg?oh=9ffab173397b4816cb4d429028f59994&oe=599FE960

Stolen from Facebook because I'm not going through the nightmare of figuring out how to post this via phone

• Like 1

Who is Leverage and why did Jonathan Frakes shoot him?

maybe leverage is a metaphor? perhaps leverage is the person with blackmail material responsible for keeping jonathan frakes hostage to noah wyle's show? 

also, as mr frakes is american, isn't there a global assumption o' violence? not need a reason for a shooting if the parties is american.

HA! Good Fun!

ps had to search to make certain mr. frakes is indeed american.  something almost canadian aboot him, no?

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I had to work today.  Normally working a Saturday night would downright suck, but when the 6 1/2 hours I spent at my job entailed less than an hour of actual work (emptying garbage cans, folding chairs and tables) and the rest of the time I spent schmoozing with people, eating free food (delicious beef brisket), and drinking margaritas and beer, all while on the clock and getting paid overtime, I really don't mind.  Too bad the company only does an open house like this once per year.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yesterday I picked all the strawberries. I have four plastic bins full of fat ripe strawberries. I will admit... I did eat a few while picking them. Plus I had strawberries for dessert last night and breakfast today. But today I'm making preserves.

I'm going to be busy the next few weeks. The majority of what I planted this year was corn. But the winter was so long the stalks were slow to grow. But it won't be much longer now. The vidalia onions are almost ready and I've already had one pick of black eyed peas. The second will be ready soon. In a week or two I'll turn the strawberry patch and seed for pumpkins. They usually take 130 days which will be right on time for Halloween.

I enjoy doing this but it's a hell of a lot of work. I should have had some kids!

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

Battling a cold the last couple of days (HOORAY for coworkers that show up to work with disease :p), so my weekend was pretty much a waste. Almost have it licked, have a 'productive' cough which is pretty nasty but good, I guess. Sure have slept more in the last couple of days than I have ever done so. Almost a shame to go back to the regular working routine :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

maybe leverage is a metaphor? perhaps leverage is the person with blackmail material responsible for keeping jonathan frakes hostage to noah wyle's show?

He also directed the 2nd and 3rd Librarian movies, so it must be some pretty good blackmail.
  • Like 1

a good blt is art, but is perhaps ironic to be realizing the arguable most plebeian ingredient is also the one which is skimped most often. perfect bread can be expensive and/or difficult to find.  gonna bake your own? perhaps, but to do correct you need special kinda ovens. bacon? raise hand if you cure your own bacon.  anybody?  gonna need purchase your bacon and find REAL dry-cured bacon is not simple for most folks in city or suburbs.  is clear differences 'tween good and bad lettuce.  grocery store iceberg is bitter and lacking any kinda depth.  might as well lick satan's @$$.

mayonnaise.  get yourself a reasonable fresh egg and any decent lemon... other ingredients is likely in your cabinet and could be purchased from any supermarket. sure, mayonnaise has a chance o' failure no matter how great your technique and planning. emulsions can be quirky, and mayonnaise is quirkier than most.  experiment with vinegars and mustard and type o' oil.  am not certain why is so difficult to get good mayo.  is basic.  is not fancy.  is not requiring expensive or exotic ingredients.  what could possible be so difficult 'bout good mayo?

btw, good rule o' thumb is if the mayo on your blt is bright white, like the store bought hellmann's or best foods or whatever, then send back.  honest.  think 'bout it.  you start with an egg yolk and add dry mustard, salt and lemon juice to a neutral oil, so what color is your mayo gonna be?

HA! Good Fun!

ps what is with the aioli trend? mayo + garlic.  can add all kinda stuff to mayo and is still mayo, but introduce garlic and sudden is exotic and needs a new name.  tack on another $1.50 to bill 'cause is aioli 'stead o' mayo.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

a good blt is art, but is perhaps ironic to be realizing the arguable most plebeian ingredient is also the one which is skimped most often. perfect bread can be expensive and/or difficult to find.  gonna bake your own? perhaps, but to do correct you need special kinda ovens. bacon? raise hand if you cure your own bacon.  anybody?  gonna need purchase your bacon and find REAL dry-cured bacon is not simple for most folks in city or suburbs.  is clear differences 'tween good and bad lettuce.  grocery store iceberg is bitter and lacking any kinda depth.  might as well lick satan's @$$.

mayonnaise.  get yourself a reasonable fresh egg and any decent lemon... other ingredients is likely in your cabinet and could be purchased from any supermarket. sure, mayonnaise has a chance o' failure no matter how great your technique and planning. emulsions can be quirky, and mayonnaise is quirkier than most.  experiment with vinegars and mustard and type o' oil.  am not certain why is so difficult to get good mayo.  is basic.  is not fancy.  is not requiring expensive or exotic ingredients.  what could possible be so difficult 'bout good mayo?

btw, good rule o' thumb is if the mayo on your blt is bright white, like the store bought hellmann's or best foods or whatever, then send back.  honest.  think 'bout it.  you start with an egg yolk and add dry mustard, salt and lemon juice to a neutral oil, so what color is your mayo gonna be?

HA! Good Fun!

ps what is with the aioli trend? mayo + garlic.  can add all kinda stuff to mayo and is still mayo, but introduce garlic and sudden is exotic and needs a new name.  tack on another $1.50 to bill 'cause is aioli 'stead o' mayo.

my grandma had a bakery long ago and says that any oven is ok to bake bread as long as you know how. in fact she still bakes bread at home and it's better than any bread you can find in any store

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.