Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Q @ Devs: Will PoE2 have the gesturing portraits during conversation as in Tyranny?

dev question conversation

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In Tyranny, when you have a conversation with companions and most NPCs, instead of the static portrait for companions you have in PoE1, you'd see a window showing the companion or NPC doing various gestures. I'm just curious if PoE2 will have that neat feature as it deepens the immersion (though you guys already do it quite well with the descriptions).

Then again, I understand that PoE2 is going to be much, MUCH larger in size and scope than Tyranny (which was a joint project between Obsidian and Paradox), so, the assets needed would be much larger and there would be many more interactions than there are in Tyranny.

Of course, I'd be totally fine without that since you guys do a good job of it with descriptions already. I just thought that it would be a cool thing to have with the more dynamic and evolving interactions PoE2 is going to have.

edit2: I saw a suggestions thread back a bit, maybe I could post in there actually, or could have in the first place.

Edited by smjjames, 28 April 2017 - 06:00 PM.

• ThatUndeadLegacy likes this

ThatUndeadLegacy

ThatUndeadLegacy

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

They said they will have the dictionary word mechanics in there, so they might. 

draego

draego

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There is an update about water color portraits. https://www.fig.co/c...ate=254#updates. They plan on showing these portraits for conversation

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

No, they're using hand-painted "watercolour style" portraits for dialogues.

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

No, they're using hand-painted "watercolour style" portraits for dialogues.

I suppose that makes sense considering there are MANY more NPCs you'd be able to talk to than in Tyranny.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They didn't look particularly great in Tyranny - 3D models rarely look better than painted portraits, and the watercolours should fit the rest of the game better too.

• Lychnidos, sp3cw4r, dukeisaac and 4 others like this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2818 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I thought that the use of 3D models in Tyranny was creative, but it did seem like a good use of limited recourses. I am happy to have simpler but unique portraits for NPCs. Makes me very curious how the UI will look. I imagine it will be a departure from dark-wood design of PoE.

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2818 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Mark 25:00

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

As always, I'd like close-ups of the 3D models instead of paintings but having, at least, the watercolor pictures of the characters in conversation is better that just a background still and a colored name.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I don't know, my current Avatar sort of sums up my opinion.  I think they worked fine and had personality.  That said, for Eternity, I think the water color portraits are more in line with the feel of the game and will work well.

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1957 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think they were a novel idea that didn't really work well, they drew attention to the fact that the avatars didn't really look that good close up.

• Bill Gates' Son, AndreaColombo and Baltic like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5383 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
^ Agreed. A 2D portrait is typically leagues better than a 3D model unless the latter is exceptionally high-poly and with truly superb textures.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

All in for 3D models in stead of portraits. Make room for the 21st century! :p

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5041 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

NWN used portraits; NWN2 used 3D models. For the most part I didn't think it was an improvement. 3D models are satisfactory, but not as memorable as good oil-based art.

• sp3cw4r likes this

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3043 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
The nice thing about the models in Tyranny was that they reflected changes you made to your party members. Give them different armor? Dialog model shows them in the new armor. As impressive as that was, it felt like a half-measure considering that the main character portraits were static. My 2 cents

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dev, question, conversation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users