Poll: Expansion after the end of the story or in the middle

Expansion  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the expansion takes place in the middle of the game or after the end of the story in the core game?

• After the end of the story in the core game
    • In the middle of the game
    • No preference

I am curious which most people prefer: For the expansion to take place after the end of the story in the core game or in the middle of the game. I prefer for it to take place after the end of the story.

Edited by keriana

It strongly depends on exactly what content is in the expansion. The White March Part II's story is severely undermined if you play it after beating the main campaign and already know the twist. It gives the player a context that their character is required to be blissfully unaware of.

Hey there, could the option "no preference" be added to the poll, please? :)

• Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

In the middle, like TotSC or White March.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

No preferrence.

Usually I'd say after the end of the game. Because deviating from main quest in the middle of it, would detrimently affect the feel of urgency that most main quests try to build up. But Obsidian did really well with both White March expansions. So..

No preferrence. (Just let it be the same character).

Edited by MaxQuest

End definitely, the middle has dire repercussions for narrative.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I liked PoE a lot more after the release of WM. It really opened up the game world and added possibilities and a sense of agency.

My preference would be to have it available during the game with the option of continuing to play after the main quest so that people who don't want to break up the story have that option.

I'd like it to be at the end, continuing the story further but at this day and age accessibility is more important for the devs/publishers/"most/casual" players. It can be done in CDPR's way, meaning you can start the expansions either before or after the end of the main story; while that approach takes player progression into account and reacts whether the player has finished the main story or not, it doesn't necessarily further the story, it rather tells a different story with loose ties to the main story. Sooo while I prefer furthering the story, I don't think its viable(optimal? :D) for "them" any more. 

No preference, but an expansion that happens after the end of the game only makes sense if there is actually more to tell about your character. If the game reaches a satisfactory conclusion, I have no interest in extra content that feels tacked on for the sake of extra content.

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I'd prefer after, didn't like how high level White March was put into the game - you can go there and not be trampled around the time of Act II ending, but there was no real incentive to do so because main story urgency spurs you on to Twin Elms, but White March is on the other side of the map. So if it absolutely must be in the middle of the story it must make sense to go there. 

WM broke the flow of the game for me. I really, really wanted to go there but I didn't wanna do the typical "get easy XP, super-OP items then return to stomp TwinElms" while the story urged me to finish the critical path. But that doesn't mean I am opposed to having an expansion in the middle. As a narrative-focused player I have no preference as long as it integrates into the critical path. So no preference

I think end content expansions suit well with pretty linear games (fps, action rpg)

In open world games is better to do "middle" content for an overall bigger experience.

I would prefere a middle content for POE2

Edited by Mazisky

No preference. When playing a "complete pack" I tend to like doing that content on my way to the end. But having already finished the base game, I then prefer to have that content occur after the main story.

​Maybe my preference is that it can be ambiguous and the order of play doesn't matter. But if there are significant changes to the end of the game, like party member deaths etc, then maybe it's best to occur earlier.