The US Election 2016, Part IX

Pidesco

In other political news, although not exactly election related, the trial of seven of the Oregon Wildlife Refuge occupiers ended in an acquittal on all charges. http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/27/us/oregon-standoff-ammon-bundy-acquittal/index.html

I for one am happy that happened. But to the seven who were acquitted I'd say "Don't do that s--t again". 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hmmm.... Let's see here. The Congress passes and the President signs a law that REQUIRES everyone to purchase a widget. And THEY get to choose who gets to sell widgets. Now, it's been a while since I took an economics class but remind me again what happens to the price of widgets when the demand is high but the supply is low? And what happens to the bottom line of the folks who have widgets in those circumstances. Now complicate this by adding the fact the cost of widgets is subsidized for some by increasing the costs for many. Well if you are stuck paying full price for your widget you are getting widgeted right up to old widget hole aren't you?

Health insurance isn't a widget, in that it isn't a physical good. The supply issue is not quite comparable to a physical good, seeing as it doesn't need to be produced and supply of health insurance policies can't physically run out because lack of materials. The issue here is you are paying to theoretically have medical bills taken care of, but insurance companies make their money denying claims so to get what you pay for you have to deal with denials, threats of credit rating taking a hit, and other ****. So you are essentially being forced to pay money in the hopes that if something bad happens to you or a family member they'll be willing to pay for it or you have the resources to make them pay for it if they deny it. It doesn't matter how much you're getting subsidized, the issue is that insurance does not do what it's supposed to and you're still going to be in major financial issues if you get sick and aren't well off.

So who is the villain here? The folks telling you you must buy widgets (yours and others too) and you can only by them from the people we choose (who no doubt ponied up campaign contributions)? Or are the villains the ones selling the widgets?

You're acting like they're different people, or at least not acting in concert. The mean ol gubbermint didn't **** out the ACA because Obama felt like pissing on freedom that day, they did it because they were some insurance companies leaned on them to get a law that would further their interests. This sort of thing happens all the time, and will keep happening because it is the system itself that is broken and putting a new coat of paint on it won't fix ****.

I'll definitely agree with Hurlie that these scum are villains. My mom was diagnosed with cancer last year and dealing with her insurance was a nightmare. Not only did they try to they chemotherapy where it took the oncologist over a month of fighting with them to get it approved, but they tried to charge her $6,000 because during her surgery one of the assistants was apparently out of network(and there is no way she could have known about this despite making sure before hand that everything was in network and would be paid for). She has a PPO with a $250ish monthly payment and a 10K deductible, so this was all after she had spent a lot of her on money on treatment.

You want to take a guess who her insurance is from? Blue Cross Blue Shield, whose CEO Joseph Swedish makes much more in a week than my parents combined income is in a year. So yeah, that guy is a villain. And judging by the stories of those I know who have had to deal with medical insurance, he is far from unique in that regard.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I am curious about the reasoning behind some of the Hillary supporters - Bruce seems like a reasonable chap; I'm sure I'd buy you a beer at a pub and agree on the concept to disagree and freedom of speech, so - when you come across certain things about Hillary Clinton, like her oppinion on Black people (as super predators) or Robert Byrd, or when she laughed about the 12 year old rape victim/evidence presented, the George Soros connection, and all the other (long) list of things that would send other people to jail, or in my oppinion, at least be a limiting factor in who I voted for.

...Doesn't it change your voting choice of candidate at all?  Is Trump really so much worse by comparison?  Does he represent the "enemy" that much?.

I am a very reasonable person and I firmly believe in a more fair and equitable society

Hillary Clinton flaws and the negative views some people have of her pale in comparison to the numerous issues I have with Trump

Trump is a disgrace and a hypocrite. He panders to a pointless dream of what " makes the USA  great ", this dream will never be realized even if he becomes president. This dream of his involves bigotry and a negative narrative of what defines the USA

I absolutely support Hilary for a number of reasons but one of the main ones is she says things " lets make the USA great together " . She is also honest about the current state of the USA, its really not that bad so I support a more positive and constructive view of the future that the Democrats espouse  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

He's a man. Bruce hates men. It is why he goes to strippers and hangs out with the ladies.

:lol:

volo I dont hate men? Why would you think that...we just need to acknowledge some societal realities like  there is rampant abuse of women and children in different levels of society and most of the times these crimes are committed by men. So lets not deny this ...abuse is a problem in society and the groups that are  the greatest target of this are women and children

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

She has a PPO with a $250ish monthly payment and a 10K deductible

Is this standard on what is expected to be covered and is it the standard monthly rate?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

#DraftOurDaughters, Hahahahaha

r9BNQub.jpg

J7qeenK.jpg

kmmMq89.jpg

More: http://imgur.com/a/ChEo7

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

She has a PPO with a $250ish monthly payment and a 10K deductible

Is this standard on what is expected to be covered and is it the standard monthly rate?

No. The standard would be an HMO and it was grandfathered in so it's actually cheaper than a comparable plan.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hmmm.... Let's see here. The Congress passes and the President signs a law that REQUIRES everyone to purchase a widget. And THEY get to choose who gets to sell widgets. Now, it's been a while since I took an economics class but remind me again what happens to the price of widgets when the demand is high but the supply is low? And what happens to the bottom line of the folks who have widgets in those circumstances. Now complicate this by adding the fact the cost of widgets is subsidized for some by increasing the costs for many. Well if you are stuck paying full price for your widget you are getting widgeted right up to old widget hole aren't you?

So who is the villain here? The folks telling you you must buy widgets (yours and others too) and you can only by them from the people we choose (who no doubt ponied up campaign contributions)? Or are the villains the ones selling the widgets?

You know the bad thing about a free market is it really, really sucks when it isn't free and there is no market.

Friendly reminder that according to the WHO, the United States was #1 in per capita expenditure on health care while not even managing to get into the top 25 in quality of care back in the yonder days of 2000, way before the evils of Obamacare.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I am a very reasonable person and I firmly believe in a more fair and equitable society

Hillary Clinton flaws and the negative views some people have of her pale in comparison to the numerous issues I have with Trump

Trump is a disgrace and a hypocrite. He panders to a pointless dream of what " makes the USA  great ", this dream will never be realized even if he becomes president. This dream of his involves bigotry and a negative narrative of what defines the USA

I absolutely support Hilary for a number of reasons but one of the main ones is she says things " lets make the USA great together " . She is also honest about the current state of the USA, its really not that bad so I support a more positive and constructive view of the future that the Democrats espouse  :geek:

Well, I don't agree with everything Trump has said - splitting families up and deporting them (although I think he backtracked on that one).  But surely when you see the president of Haiti saying the Clinton foundation didn't transfer the 13 billion to them, or Hillary Clinton saying she's a feminist while laughing at the 12 yr old rape victim, and threatening Bill Clinton's victims,  or the personal aid (Huma is it?) whom she considers a daughter, but who's actual mother supports female genital mutilation and female terrorist acts.  Or the wikileaks exposing her attempt to bribe the FBI investigator and the apparent $650,000 transfered from a top aid members account to his wifes before he found her not guilty...etc,etc,

Just seeing her do that "We came,we saw,he died" dance and facial expression over the death of Gadafi gave me the chills, and I'm not too trained in facial expression and body language - but they should be calling her Chucky Clinton after that one.

It doesn't put any doubt in you at all?  The American people arn't voting for a living saint - Trump could be going full Tony Soprano on the GM, Ford. other car execs and threatening to grab their wives by the _____ but do you honestly think that who he is is so much more deplorable than who Hillary Clinton represents ?.

Edit: Oh - almost forgot...

...World War 3 likely if Chucky Clinton gets in.

Edited by Chippy

What's scary about those?

Hillary Clinton's private email server under investigation by FBI again

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/28/fbi-reopens-hillary-clinton-emails-investigation

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Are those for real?? Holy crap she's scary. FBI just reopened the investigation. Lol. 

It's the anons of the internet doing this:

psyops.jpg

If people cannot tell if they are real means that they are succeeding.

What's scary about those?

Hillary Clinton's private email server under investigation by FBI again

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/28/fbi-reopens-hillary-clinton-emails-investigation

What a day of happenings.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

literally did not happen

Literally did, both KP and Hurlshot used the term. I mean, Gfted is being his usual self and it's just a wonder he hasn't suggested droning countries with single payer for being uncapitalist and resisted ending his post with 'comrade'; but 'villain' definitely has been used.

I personally prefer the term 'parasitic scum sucking tapeworms ensconced deep in the bowels of society' but I guess that probably implies 'villain'.

She has a PPO with a $250ish monthly payment and a 10K deductible, so this was all after she had spent a lot of her on money on treatment.

To put that in perspective, that's nearly our cost for a full single payer system with no deductibles.

US system is moronic, delivers poor overall service at top prices- but you have the freedumb to shop around for the least bad deal and that surely counts for something.

Edited by Zoraptor

Hold up, the system is broke and people are "villians" over the 157.6M they made? R00FLES!

They are massively profiting off a broken system.  They are in a position of power, and they are lining their pockets while the system continues to get worse and worse for the customers.  Not sure how else you would define that.   

• Like 1

The healthcare system was broken before the Unaffordable Care Act, but you don't fix it by passing a law with a bunch of perverse incentives for people to game the system and for providers to jack up costs and for the consumer to not care because they are subsidized or the insurer bears the costs. Back when it was passed I predicted here that it would collapse of its own weight. http://thefederalist.com/2016/10/27/defective-obamacare-health-insurance-product-just-blew/

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"villians"

literally did not happen

*sigh*

Go read the 17th word of post# 304.

Everyone's complaining about Obamacare, and I get it, but let's not lose site of the real villains here

You mean this one?

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

They are massively profiting off a broken system.  They are in a position of power, and they are lining their pockets while the system continues to get worse and worse for the customers.  Not sure how else you would define that.

That's just their salaries and its a drop in the pissbucket. Do you feel you should be docked pay every time a kid fails a class?

You mean this one?

I'm just going to assume you are joking around with me. :lol:

I thought the quotation marks were meant to imply somebody was stupid for misspelling the word. Apparently it was an honest mistake though. Carry on, then.

I thought the quotation marks were meant to imply somebody was stupid for misspelling the word. Apparently it was an honest mistake though. Carry on, then.

Is it? I didn't know that. I wasn't intending it that way. I was meaning to quote the word as seeming a bit hyperbolic. I don't rag on people for spelling or grammar mistakes. God knows I make enough of my own.

That's just their salaries and its a drop in the pissbucket. Do you feel you should be docked pay every time a kid fails a class?

I would like access to the $156 million pissbucket, please.  I doubt that these are the only people in the company making massive salaries while the results continue to get worse and worse for the American people.  If my kids got worse and worse every year, then yeah, I'd lose my job.