What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Finished The Crown. Supposedly its pretty accurate, which gives me a newfound respect for the Queen and those who hold the office.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Lena Luthor coming on strong in Super G, ostensibly as a helpful and powerfully brilliant good guy, which can only mean she's secretly diabolical despite (or because of) her adoption into chrome-dome's evil family. 

Alex Danvers' inner identity turmoil is really touching, Chyler Leigh's performance so distinctly endearing. 

Also, Lucifer is surprisingly reliable and fun and unpredictable.

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

People recommended Mr Robot to me, so I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes. This is just Fight Club with hackers, isn't it? If Christian Slater isn't his Tyler Durden I'll eat my hat.*

*Won't actually eat my hat.

EDIT: Has anyone seen my phone? Because I ****ing called it!

• Like 1

Legends of Tomorrow is silly fun

Well it used to be, but holy crap am I amazed how utterly terrible the second season is so far.

I know, I'm watching it now. As soon as I gave up taking the show seriously or serially I enjoyed it.

Tonight's episode, words of dialogue literally said out loud : Star Trek: The Next Generation and Obsidian

All Stop. On Screen.

Yeah, I enjoy LoT a lot, but its a terrible show in most respects.  And yet they keep coming up with funny instances that make it worth watching.  Stein's fear of zombies last episode, Heatwave's reaction to pretty much everything in the 80s this episode...the line about Ray being able to science anything was lol funny.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Finished Battlestar Galactica, the ending was foreshadowed in some respects (which I personally believe may be a remnant of the original script,) but it's quite clear that the writers were pulling most of the ending out of their collective rectums. Unsatisfying and dispiriting to me, the same with all shows that fall back on predestination and Deus Ex Machina rather than examining something more. I had high hopes for the series at the beginning but when it came to the end I was a little nonplussed.

Mrs Nonek seemed most put out about the colonists total abandonment of technology, arguing quite sensibly I think, that a culture could not just give up such things as medicine, the scientific method and all the advances they enjoyed with such ease. This had not ocurred to me but thinking about it I agreed, the predestination bit about technology inevitably begetting children that will destroy the creator just seems like fear mongering, and how will the colonists feel when their innate diseases and microbes strike dead most of the native population of Earth, or their children are dying of easily solved conditions?

I didn't like this fear mongering subtext, or the thoughtless condemnation of scientific advancement. The divine aspect I could live with, but the arch conservative bias seemed strange indeed.

Altogether a well made show with great performances, a compelling aesthetic and interesting narrative, but it could have been so much more. Though I acknowledge this as a better produced piece of media I still think it pales in comparison to Babylon 5, the arcs both character and plot wise in that show were far more satisfying and well thought out than anything I saw in BSG.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Pretty much my thoughts at the time as well. I was never that keen on the religious/ predestination stuff even in the early seasons, and its baggage really caught up with the series in S4. I'm not sure how much my reaction was dislike vs disappointment at how much better it should have been though. I think the rot set in in the back half of S3, only thing I really liked about it was Baltar's Trial and that not unreservedly; too much CW like D R A M A (problem with the whole back half and to an extent the whole series) but Mark Sheppard and Adama voting for acquittal in the end saved it. I've tried to get through S4 after the initial time I saw it but have never made it through again, similar thing happens with Babylon 5 as well.

My negative thoughts on the end don't really colour my impression of the episodes I did really like though- Exodus pt 1&2 are right up there with my favourite episodes of all Sci Fi (other contenders because why not: Orbit from Blake's 7, Severed Dreams from B5, the Farscape ep with the time travelling where they accidentally boff the timeline [+ Scratch 'n' Sniff, a guilty pleasure], Chain of Command/ BoBW in STTNG or the DS9 episode where Sisko and Garrick false flag the Dominion to get the Romulans into the war)

• Like 1

So Xfinity X1 added the Netflix app directly to the cable box (which makes it hella more convenient for me to use) and as a consequence I finally started to watch Luke Cage. Wow, love it. Its a bit of a slow burn so far the first four episodes but I'm really liking the style. And the musical acts at Harlem's Paradise are fantastic! :lol:

• Like 2

Well, this one follows the royal family, so we'll get some recognizable characters like Black Bolt and Karnak.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The first episode of National Geographic's Mars mini-series.

Interesting. On the one hand, it's that sci-fi dramatization of the first human crew arriving on Mars in 2033 and the attempts at setting up a colony. At the same time, it's trying to be as scientifically accurate about all the technical details it can, and interspersing it with moments of looking back at the history - that is to say, documentary style interviews from various folks in 2016. Said moments being real Elon Musk, SpaceX, International Space Agency experts, the cutting edge university groups working on space propulsion and colonisation theories, et all.

So that flip between 2033 fiction, and 2016 non-fiction all bound together.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I know why they did it that way but I kind of wish they'd done the 'flashbacks' and the 2033 stuff as separate episodes/ series rather than interwoven threads. Then again if they'd done it that way I'd probably be saying I'd prefer them interwoven. Dunno, didn't like it as much as I should have but will definitely watch the next episode.

Watched the first two episodes of Lethal Weapon out of curiosity.  It's not actually as bad as I thought it might be, fairly amusing and stylish.

Also, they've surprisingly fleshed out Riggs and portray a lot of the emotional pain he's in from losing his pregnant wife. Plus, providing a reason why he's not automatically kicked off the force for the chaos that abounds.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Pitch. A network drama comedy set inside the San Diego Padres clubhouse.

Dunno why, it's weird but it works. Great scenarios, funny, impossibly accurate uniforms and settings. Like I mean shots of Petco Park, and jerseys with the 2016 All-Star Game patch from real-life July.

I guess the hook is, one of the characters is the first female MLB player--something I didn't catch until after a few episodes. There's no A-plot girl-power thing, but a lot of interesting characters being developed. Plus, Tripp from Agents of SHIELD lives!

All Stop. On Screen.

Dunno why, it's weird but it works. Great scenarios, funny, impossibly accurate uniforms and settings. Like I mean shots of Petco Park, and jerseys with the 2016 All-Star Game patch from real-life July.

I guess the hook is, one of the characters is the first female MLB player--something I didn't catch until after a few episodes. There's no A-plot girl-power thing, but a lot of interesting characters being developed. Plus, Tripp from Agents of SHIELD lives!

prediction: the first female mlb player will be an american league knuckleball pitcher. haven't seen the show you reference, so am not knowing if she is a knuckler.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

prediction: the first female mlb player will be an american league knuckleball pitcher. haven't seen the show you reference, so am not knowing if she is a knuckler.

HA! Good Fun!

She's a screwball pitcher in the show, as I understand it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

HA! Good Fun!

She's a screwball pitcher in the show, as I understand it.

screwball? for reals?

am not certain if is your pun, or the show writer/producer's joke

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Finished up season 1 of Luke Cage. Its interesting to me that, imo, the slower pace of the show is both a strength and a weakness. Strength in that its not constand beat-em-up which is a refreshing change but weakness in that sometimes I get bored. Looking forward to season 2.

• Like 1

screwball? for reals?

am not certain if is your pun, or the show writer/producer's joke

HA! Good Fun!

I've not watched the show, got it from this article about the show -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/10/11/foxs-pitch-is-fiction-but-a-female-mlb-pitcher-isnt-that-far-fetched/

Molly Knight — a former ESPN reporter who works as a consultant with the show to ensure the plot stays true to the majors — agrees, although it took some convincing to bring her aboard.

“When I first heard about the plot, I’m like, ‘Okay, what?’ ” she said. “I’m a hardcore feminist, nothing against our gender, but just the way that we’re built physically, throwing a ball at 95 miles per hour is not realistic.”

But that’s not what Baker does. Baker doesn’t rely much on fastballs; she instead focuses on screwballs, a trick pitch that Knight says could one day land a woman on an MLB roster.