Lini 's beast form + support

Marginal0

Question

I don't know exactly what the interactions were, but when using the ability in conjunction with other boost effects by other characters (a double blessing and something I don't recall), the given d10 reverts back into a d4. I checked for additional changed effects but nothing really interfered. The game does correctly change the die for str/dex to d10.

Also, when I reloaded in the attempt to rectify the bug, the card I discarded for the ability was suddenly gone, without the ability triggering. So the game only remembered the cost, not the effect.

Edited by Marginal0

23 answers to this question

If this happens again, make sure that the blessing didn't make a change to the skill being used.  For example, if you juiced your strength, but suddenly the app decided that, due to a particular blessing that was applied, some other check might be more advantagious (Spoiler Alert:  It's usually wrong).  You might be able to go back to the skill selection area and set it back to Strength.

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

Can you actually swap between strength and melee for combat checks? When this kind of thing happened to me (see Merisiel vs Giant Gecko somewhere down the board) and her die kept reverting to a d4, when I'd pull down the skill selection menu it just said "combat" next to the d4 with no other option. I think the game does some kind of auto selection between strength and melee (and probably dex and ranged) and you can't manually toggle it. There's something buggy about how it's deciding whether to go strength or melee right now and at least in my case it was auto reverting to melee (even when I had no melee and a d8 strength) whenever I was undoing card plays (like if I took an already played blessing and moved it back to hand before rolling the dice).

Lini's Beast Form is currently wonky for combat. It somehow doesn't pick Strength for her combat when you use Beast Form with her unarmed. It works when you use a melee weapon with her, but sometimes requires fiddling with the order you do things in (I don't remember exactly, but either revealing the weapon first or using Beast Form first makes it not work as expected). This makes her pretty hard to play without someone else handing her a weapon right now, unless you build her into a combat spellcaster.

Lini's Beast Form is currently wonky for combat. It somehow doesn't pick Strength for her combat when you use Beast Form with her unarmed. It works when you use a melee weapon with her, but sometimes requires fiddling with the order you do things in (I don't remember exactly, but either revealing the weapon first or using Beast Form first makes it not work as expected). This makes her pretty hard to play without someone else handing her a weapon right now, unless you build her into a combat spellcaster.

Yeah, when I tried using Quarterstaff +1 vs. that b****rd Caizerlu Zeren (I watch him roll 1 on his 'Mirror Image' roll 5 times in a row!!!) , ant the Beast Form - somehow it knocks the staff back in my hand and switches the check to Arcane (if manually switched to Cobat though, the Strength die is transformed as intended).

This didn't happen when I Beast Form-ed first, and then applied the Quarterstaff.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

It's not just Lini, either. Playing Merisiel last night at one point I was fighting something weaponless and after tossing a couple blessings on the check, the game swapped her dice to d4s. Even after undoing all the played cards, her one remaining die was still a d4 with no way to switch it to a d8. The game seems to handle combat checks off a specific weapon or spell card much better than ones just off the pure stat (which explains why it would come up a lot more with Lini).

Edited by Brainwave

It's not just Lini, either. Playing Merisiel last night at one point I was fighting something weaponless and after tossing a couple blessings on the check, the game swapped her dice to d4s. Even after undoing all the played cards, her one remaining die was still a d4 with no way to switch it to a d8. The game seems to handle combat checks off a specific weapon or spell card much better than ones just off the pure stat (which explains why it would come up a lot more with Lini).

You might be on to something. An hour ago my Kyra fought 3 (!!!) goblin warchanters in a row. At on of the checks, she was barehanded, and I when I threw in a couple of blessings - she lost her Melee bonus!! I'm beginning to also wonder if it's possible that the issue is with the blessings...

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Yep, I had a problem with Lini - reveal the snake animal ally puts her combat to 2d4, activate beast form puts it (correctly) to 1d0 + 1d4, but then discard the snake and the combat drops back to only 2d4 (?!)

I then tried to undo and redo these cards in multiple orders to fix it up, and at points it seemed to go to 3d4 - overall it was just broken with the snake

Yep, I had a problem with Lini - reveal the snake animal ally puts her combat to 2d4, activate beast form puts it (correctly) to 1d0 + 1d4, but then discard the snake and the combat drops back to only 2d4 (?!)

I then tried to undo and redo these cards in multiple orders to fix it up, and at points it seemed to go to 3d4 - overall it was just broken with the snake

The ua-armed Lini uses her Strength skill to figth, and so, sorrectly, your Beast form makes your dice pool d10 (Str) + d4 (Animal Trick)

However, the stupid snake (yeah, I also realized that too late) adds to a Melee check - but you bare-handed check DOESN"T have the Melee trait. So when you play the snake's discard power, you "tell" the game that you want to use your *untrained* Melee skill (d4) + Snake bonus (d4). You first reveal the Snake for Animal Trick you get the total of 3d4.

The issue where you revealed the snake (+d4), and then discarded it (+4), but you ended up with only 2d4 seems to be a bug. I believe it happened to me when trying to use Sabretooth Tiger in similar manner - sometimes (and only sometimes, oddly) discarding/recharging your Animal for an extra die seems to cancel the Animal Trick power.

Edited by Longshot11

I thought that when you discard the snake the reveal ability is annuled as it's no longer there, but I never played the physical game so I'm not knowledgable on the rules.

It shouldn't be; this is a perfectly valid play and the order in which you do things is important part of the strategy of the game. (Try soloing Caizerlu Zeren with Lini without this little trick... This has saved my skin more times than I care to remember)

I don't know whether the snake is supposed to help with unarmed (non-melee) combat or not (I could swear I read the card and it said combat check, but when I look up an image online it says melee).

But I do know that *sometimes* I'm able to discard it for it's personal d4 AND get the d10 from beast form - so there's a bug there either way.

But I do know that *sometimes* I'm able to discard it for it's personal d4 AND get the d10 from beast form - so there's a bug there either way.

I was mistaken in one of my post above. I thought that (similar To Soldier) the Snake only adds to Melee, while it says that it adds to Strength or Melee.

So, you should be able legally to:

Morph your Strength to d10 + reveal Snake (Lini power) for d4+X + discard (but actually recharge) Snake for another d4

Yeah, wait till you do something exciting like adding one of the Orbs, then having it somehow get lost in all the dice shuffling (revealed cards get stuck and don't always reappear when switching screens to the vault), then fail your check by 1 or 2, all because your damn Orb went missing.

I was mistaken in one of my post above. I thought that (similar To Soldier) the Snake only adds to Melee, while it says that it adds to Strength or Melee.

Morph your Strength to d10 + reveal Snake (Lini power) for d4+X + discard (but actually recharge) Snake for another d4

If that is true, it is a change from the physical game. Snake was Stealth or Melee in the physical form. I'm pretty sure I'd seen it that way in the app too.

If that is true, it is a change from the physical game. Snake was Stealth or Melee in the physical form. I'm pretty sure I'd seen it that way in the app too.

Hah, you're right, and I feel better about making the mistake earlier: the physical card does indeed only add to Melee, while the the app card says "Strength or Melee".

So it is a typo in the snake digital version.

Not necessarily. They changed a lot of vards for the digital version, and the Snake would much more useful (i.e. of *any* use at all) if LIni could add her to her Beast Form combat. So it might be a purposeful update.

This is again a reason why I would really really like a FAQ/change log from printed to digital.

Not an unreasonable request.  I'll see what I can dig up.  (No promises for anything immediate though, as we have a patch to get out! :) )

• Like 1