US Election 2016

No such thing as an American accent, though.

Is there such thing as Canadian accent? One would think that people from Nova Scotia have different accent than people from British Columbia. There is quite many native accents and dialects in Finnish and people don't even live thousands kilometers apart of each other and have mostly common ancestry (meaning that most of the people's ancestry goes back thousands of years of mainly 'Finnish' speaking people, with some Germanic (Swedish or German) and Russian influence here and there).

Or is Canadian accent some sort metropolitan accent born from mixture of multiple accents in big cities, like so called London dialect. 

Purely off topic, but only thing of interest for me in past couple pages :)

I really cannot decide which is more disgusting to me. The Democrats cynical and power-mad attempt to use the government to silence free speech, or the death threats and nasitness it provoked. It's like trying to find the cleanest pig in the sty.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/05/17/first-came-the-drudge-link-then-the-death-threats.html

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well not sure how many accents but Maritimers, Quebecois and Ontarians speak differently. I imagine Albertans too, but maybe they are putting it on to sound Texan or something :p

Not as diverse within a small area as England though, but diverse enough.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I really cannot decide which is more disgusting to me. The Democrats cynical and power-mad attempt to use the government to silence free speech, or the death threats and nasitness it provoked. It's like trying to find the cleanest pig in the sty.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/05/17/first-came-the-drudge-link-then-the-death-threats.html

Was there something else than trying to get similar disclaimers than in TV to political ads in internet in those things that they wanted to re-examine?

Honestly both are to be expected to the point I can't even muster a shrug. Impotent threats are so common place now I'm surprised when I play multi-player and am not told to kill myself or that my corpse will be raped by some 12 year old kid. On the other hand the state is the tool the ruling class use to protect their interests so it's no surprise that our government officials are clamping down on speech(as it is becoming clear it could threaten certain corporations who just so happen to fund a great deal of politicians). I don't see the latter going away without a major upheaval and the former will be here until there are no more angry people with an internet connection.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

As KP says, such hollow threats as are being uttered in that article are commonplace. Frankly, what's quoted in that article is tame compared to what I've seen playing games like DoTA2, as well as in the comments of many other articles over the years. The article you cite is largely a propaganda piece.

That said, I think you might wish to re-evaluate your fence sitting in regards to what's worse: Someone who would quash freedom, or people who use that freedom to utter disgustings. One is tangible and will affect you, the other will not.

And in the very off chance that one of those threats are not hollow: there will always be crazy people, this is nothing new. Fortunately those that would follow through with such a threat are quite rare.

Edited by Valsuelm

Well not sure how many accents but Maritimers, Quebecois and Ontarians speak differently. I imagine Albertans too, but maybe they are putting it on to sound Texan or something :p

Not as diverse within a small area as England though, but diverse enough.

What people usually think of as the "Canadian" accent is usually just the Maritimer accent, which is an understandable version of the Newfie accent. Eastern Ontario and Montreal tend to have an accent with a bit of a french feel to it, but not that distinct from the Western Canadian accent, and most of Western Canada just sounds like what you hear on the CW, as most of their shows are filmed in Vancouver with local actors.

I have never heard another Canadian say aboot. It sounds more like Aboat.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/img/2/4/5/4/6/0/i/1/4/8/o/EnglishDialects.jpg

North American Dialect map

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I can sum the DNC's reaction up this way "who do these bloody peasants think they are?"

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/reids-nevada-democrats-warn-dnc-violence-sanders-supporters

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Now Hillary supporters are shooting at Bernie supporters: http://www.weeklystandard.com/article/2002438

Ironic since Hillary is so pro-gun control. Maybe she should start with her own people.

Thomas Sowell

A reprise of the DNC of 1968 doesn't seem too much of a strech now.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No such thing as an American accent, though.

Is there such thing as Canadian accent?

No. Everyone has an accent of course, my point being more that Canadian accents are virtually indistinguishable from the American States that they border. The one exception is Quebec for obvious reasons, and their french is notably different sounding from France French, of course.

I'm sure there's other misc accents here and there, but 9/10 a Canadian can absolutely pass as an American and vice versa. There's a reason people joke about Canada not being a real country.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

There's a reason people joke about Canada not being a real country.

More than just one of them...

One of my favorite things about my first trip to Europe is that every so often I meet a snotty Canadian that considers himself superior to "those stupid Americans," and for some reason these same dudes often have some fixation with feeling "accepted" by Europe, as if Europe is the Kool Kidz Klub that decides what countries are idiots and which ones are the pinnacle of modern society.

I ended up at a party with one of these such Canadians, and the thing is Germans in general seem to have a sort of fascinated approach to Americans. I typically get approached with an attitude of "hey I'm sure you're a great person and as a German I have loads of respect for the USA due to how it's helped steer us away from a bad path in the past, but would you mind explaining why some of the modern problems with the USA persist?" Y'know, a very respectful approach where I'm spoken to as if the Germans are certain there's a good, reasonable explanation for all of the ****-ups in the USA and they'd just like to hear an American put it in perspective.

So there I am chatting with a group of Germans and a couple other europeans (off the top of my head, two brits, an italian, a french guy and a spaniard) who all want the scoop, and after I've answered most of the questions, the Canadian chimes in and asks "what do you guys think of Canada?"

The answer?

"We don't."

I kept a pretty good pokerface, if I do say so myself, but inside I was thinking "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT'S RIGHT YOU LITTLE ****, YOU'RE STILL NOT A REAL COUNTRY, ALL YOUR DREAMS ARE DEAD."

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

If the media lied about Trump, does that mean that they also lied about Hitler?

They dont need to really lie about Trump, he normally does controversial and offensive things

He always does offensive things. That's my opinion. I could be wrong, but I'm not lol

• Like 1

It's also why Kanandian actors can play Amerikan characters and you wouldn't know. Tell me how many people could guess that Michael J. Fox is a Kanadian when watching him Family Ties or Back to the Future. You can't.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Bernie wins Oregon. Now he needs to blow out Clinton by 35% in the remaining states to win the nomination outright.

#PleasePleaseLetItBeClose

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The media lies about everyone. Kathren Hepburn once said (about the media), "I don't care what they say about me as long as it isn't true."

That's why memes are getting more traction. They are more difficult to tell a lie with and are more difficult to falsify as they connect with our common subconsciousness on a much deeper level.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The media lies about everyone. Kathren Hepburn once said (about the media), "I don't care what they say about me as long as it isn't true."

That's why memes are getting more traction. They are more difficult to tell a lie with and are more difficult to falsify as they connect with our common subconsciousness on a much deeper level.

Ohhhh, is that a challenge? For us to rally forth and create lying memes? :) if only I had the time. Or more correctly, if only I would choose to shuffle and repriorities to raise lying memes to a .... You get the idea lol

That's why memes are getting more traction. They are more difficult to tell a lie with and are more difficult to falsify as they connect with our common subconsciousness on a much deeper level are an exceedingly poor vehicle for conveying useful information, and therefore are treated as such by pretty much everybody.

Fix'd.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

There's a reason people joke about Canada not being a real country.

More than just one of them...

One of my favorite things about my first trip to Europe is that every so often I meet a snotty Canadian that considers himself superior to "those stupid Americans," and for some reason these same dudes often have some fixation with feeling "accepted" by Europe, as if Europe is the Kool Kidz Klub that decides what countries are idiots and which ones are the pinnacle of modern society.

I ended up at a party with one of these such Canadians, and the thing is Germans in general seem to have a sort of fascinated approach to Americans. I typically get approached with an attitude of "hey I'm sure you're a great person and as a German I have loads of respect for the USA due to how it's helped steer us away from a bad path in the past, but would you mind explaining why some of the modern problems with the USA persist?" Y'know, a very respectful approach where I'm spoken to as if the Germans are certain there's a good, reasonable explanation for all of the ****-ups in the USA and they'd just like to hear an American put it in perspective.

So there I am chatting with a group of Germans and a couple other europeans (off the top of my head, two brits, an italian, a french guy and a spaniard) who all want the scoop, and after I've answered most of the questions, the Canadian chimes in and asks "what do you guys think of Canada?"

The answer?

"We don't."

I kept a pretty good pokerface, if I do say so myself, but inside I was thinking "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT'S RIGHT YOU LITTLE ****, YOU'RE STILL NOT A REAL COUNTRY, ALL YOUR DREAMS ARE DEAD."

The only people who give a crap about us in Europe are the Dutch and some of the French. Maybe some Brits because we have the same Queen. I know the Dutch have a decent relationship with Canada because we liberated them and hosted their royal family in WW2. 

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ohhhh, is that a challenge? For us to rally forth and create lying memes? :) if only I had the time. Or more correctly, if only I would choose to shuffle and repriorities to raise lying memes to a .... You get the idea lol

Oh, i am not talking about memes to tell a lie or not as such, but rather to influence behaviour and to create new contexts. I for one, find it very interesting how much of Trump's ****posting is in the form of memes originating from Reddit and the imageboards, and how it seems to seep into media and society at large. That being said, i am too lazy as well. Just sit back and enjoy the ride because they will certainly play their role in this election.

That's why memes are getting more traction. They are more difficult to tell a lie with and are more difficult to falsify as they connect with our common subconsciousness on a much deeper level are an exceedingly poor vehicle for conveying useful information, and therefore are treated as such by pretty much everybody.

Fix'd.

Now, now. We all know that he who controls the memes, controls the universe.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Fix'd.

Now, now. We all know that he who controls the memes, controls the universe.

I have mixed views on memes, they can be clever and offer insight but they can also be misunderstood and used as a  way to avoid intellectual debate....so sometimes they are just an excuse to avoid unpacking real societal issues

I dont think memes should ever been seen as a medium to convey automatic real information because the transfer of information generally needs to be discussed and analyzed..it can be nuanced and once someone explains something you can change your mind. How does a meme do any of that? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela