Although, interestingly enough, that's the least infurating video of hers that I have seen so far, although of course it still contains her usual favorites - showing scenes out of context (the footage Mass Effect footage of Miranda, for instance) to reinforce her point and claiming that doing the exact same thing to men doesn't reinforce stereotypes and is therefor not to be considered a proper balancing of the issue.

She argues that stereotype/trope where male characters are constantly sexualized and made to look sexually pleasant, don't exist in our culture which is why portraying men similarly sexualized as women don't enforce (fe)male gaze trope for men as there is not trope to enforce in first place.

It is like gender swapping trope all abusers are men, you don't create trope where all abusers are women but instead it usually just works as comedy aspect that enforces existing stereotype where all abusers are men.

But Elerond why did Anita upset so many gamers?....Why didnt people just ignore what she said ....but many of you guys seemed to actually read her videos and get upset?

That is the question. 

Probably because many journalists and the media at large use, or used to, take her her seriously. Like she was the most important person to go to in gaming, compared to real heavy weights like Carmack. 

It was like Jerry Falwell would've been the go-to when it came to what music or movies should be made. 

But journalist started to take her seriously only after she got lots of criticism from people and some harassed her. She become known because of her speeches about that harassment and then later on when she started to release those tropes vs. women in video games, media outlets started to write articles about her and then she got more criticism and harassment that eventually lead that main stream media started to write articles about her and then she become one quite know person speaking about video games in world.

But if people had ignored her KS campaign instead she would had barely got money to make one video, instead of couple hundred thousand dollars. So her fame is mostly product of internet trolls. Although you need to credit that she was quite skillful to use that attention that trolls gave her to her benefit

Yes of course there are certain systemic issues within gaming culture that  subjectively discriminate against women or rather there are real examples of women being subjected to a level of abuse.in some cases

So for someone like Anita this was initially  the way she achieved a reasonable following ..she tapped into a certain reality

So I get the KS campaign and why people supported it ....but as time went on it just became a constant attack on white, gamers 

Yes some of  you guys at times didnt help the situation but by the time Alexander made that Gamasutra article the whole "lets just make assumptions about all white males"  mindset was way out of control

You must read that article now and replace white male with Muslim, Jew, Women or any other minority or group and see if it would have been printed. Not in a million years 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

bad thing about ignore function on this forum is that you still see their comment when someone else quote it

Use the greasemonkey script that nukes any quoted post of those on your ignore list. You need never see another Bruce post again.

Where might one find this script?

Is this addon for Firefox what you refer to? If so, any recommendations on how to write such a script for the addon? Or is there one handy out there?

That's the add on. I don't use nuke user scripts personally as I generally have enough self control not to need them (and don't mind some mouse wheeling) so I cannot recommend any, but there are a fair few variants for vBulletin and one for XenForo- which I think the forums here still uses- available that should do the job. 

Edited by Zoraptor

That's the add on. I don't use nuke user scripts personally as I generally have enough self control not to need them so I cannot recommend any, but there are a fair few variants for vBulletin and one for XenForo (which I think the forums here use) available that should do the job. 

Ah ha.

I have the self control to not click, as well as not bother to read the only person I have on ignore in all the forums I frequent (I have seriously considered adding Bruce). It would just be nice to not have to see any reference to them at all (especially the 'This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by insane trolly person, view it anyway'), as all other ignore functions I'm familiar with are capable of.

It's not important enough for me to spend time to write a script though.

Thanks.

That's the add on. I don't use nuke user scripts personally as I generally have enough self control not to need them so I cannot recommend any, but there are a fair few variants for vBulletin and one for XenForo (which I think the forums here use) available that should do the job. 

Ah ha.

I have the self control to not click, as well as not bother to read the only person I have on ignore in all the forums I frequent (I have seriously considered adding Bruce). It would just be nice to not have to see any reference to them at all (especially the 'This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by insane trolly person, view it anyway'), as all other ignore functions I'm familiar with are capable of.

It's not important enough for me to spend time to write a script though.

Thanks.

I am sorry but I just cant ignore these types of comments .....the suggestion that someone has to use a script to remove me from there posting environment sounds like one of the most......unnecessary steps I have ever heard a person take ?

Its like I'm this intrusive presence that cannot be ignored ....guys if you having a discussion and you feel my comments would erode the level of debate just be polite and ask me not to post ? I will always respond to a reasonable request?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

BVC, you, like every other member, are always welcome to make posts (within the rules of the forum of course). Tools have already been provided for others that don't want the see them. :)

Okay but I dont mean to now be dismissive of forum rules but you telling me people really find  my posts so " offensive " they have to block me out ....and this  is people who dont even talk to me ...come on that must be record? That cant be common?

:cat:

John Milton 

He is 100% right. Like I said earlier, this is EXACTLY like the Spiderman/woman butt shot. Typical SJW nazi evil.

Can you send me the link to that one? I am not familiar with that story?

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

He is 100% right. Like I said earlier, this is EXACTLY like the Spiderman/woman butt shot. Typical SJW nazi evil.

Can you send me the link to that one? I am not familiar with that story?

He makes good points, the whole thing just becomes annoying 

This group that feels the need to demonize this type of picture obviously feels they have sort of moral precedent. I wonder if he only made this video or did he complain through the magazine like Elle? Because I think he only did this...and the reality is there a better way to complain to a company ? 

End of the day how many women would be really offended ...and the rest of the world deals with RL abuse of women.

John Milton 

I would say that whole controversy was because of artist not art. As comic covers have had some questionable pieces through whole comic book history and rarely anybody speaks about them, especially in mainstream media. 

Spectacular_Spider-Girl_Vol_1_1.jpg

I would say that whole controversy was because of artist not art. As comic covers have had some questionable pieces through whole comic book history and rarely anybody speaks about them, especially in mainstream media. 

Spectacular_Spider-Girl_Vol_1_1.jpg

But seriously why should a comic cover ever cause a controversy ? In what world did this happen

This type of thing can be fought legally but not by using a video. Then the article goes in all the magazines and then the ladies who tend to believe the likes of Elle get upset and involved, then the husbands,then the friends then people like me ...and you guys are made to feel like perverts

And  what is it about ... a comic 

I have always thought Spider Women had a nice ass...she does   :sweat:

John Milton 

There has been a lot of controversy in comic covers lately. That and the Batgirl one being the biggest examples. The sad thing is they are variant covers, which means they need to be specifically ordered and are usually just for collectors, so the general audience rarely sees them.

Devastatorsig.jpg

There has been a lot of controversy in comic covers lately. That and the Batgirl one being the biggest examples. The sad thing is they are variant covers, which means they need to be specifically ordered and are usually just for collectors, so the general audience rarely sees them.

Right from the beginning the comic companies should have fought this...its not hard

They make the basic point that the opinions in the magazines have made there customer base uncomfortable and revenue is down

What reasonable judge is going to dismiss this....think about it  when there are real crimes all around...the judge will order them to remove it and apologize 

John Milton 

Right from the beginning the comic companies should have fought this...its not hard

They make the basic point that the opinions in the magazines have made there customer base uncomfortable and revenue is down

What reasonable judge is going to dismiss this....think about it  when there are real crimes all around...the judge will order them to remove it and apologize 

What happened with the Batgirl one was the creative team behind the book didn't like the cover, which was a homage to The Killing Joke, as DC was doing a series of Joker themed variant covers for Joker month, and The Killing Joke is  the most famous interaction between Joker and Batgirl. There was an outcry of it showing Batgirl as a victim and that they would never show Batman in a compromising position on the cover of his own book, followed by like 20 examples of just that and the people providing the examples being blocked by the people who said there weren't any. The creative team then felt it didn't fit the tone and themes of the book. As it was a variant cover, of course it didn't, variants rarely reflect the content of the book. So the artist requested DC pull the cover, and they did. I'm pretty sure most people disagree with the decision, but it essentially wasn't DC that caved to the whiny crybabies, but the artists themselves, so the crybabies claimed the high ground. Marvel had the Spider-Woman artist contracted for several other covers but cancelled them after the outcry, but didn't pull the one that was released.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

What happened with the Batgirl one was the creative team behind the book didn't like the cover, which was a homage to The Killing Joke, as DC was doing a series of Joker themed variant covers for Joker month, and The Killing Joke is  the most famous interaction between Joker and Batgirl. There was an outcry of it showing Batgirl as a victim and that they would never show Batman in a compromising position on the cover of his own book, followed by like 20 examples of just that and the people providing the examples being blocked by the people who said there weren't any. The creative team then felt it didn't fit the tone and themes of the book. As it was a variant cover, of course it didn't, variants rarely reflect the content of the book. So the artist requested DC pull the cover, and they did. I'm pretty sure most people disagree with the decision, but it essentially wasn't DC that caved to the whiny crybabies, but the artists themselves, so the crybabies claimed the high ground. Marvel had the Spider-Woman artist contracted for several other covers but cancelled them after the outcry, but didn't pull the one that was released.

You know what ...I suddenly thought of a solution for Spider Women

She can just go naked if the issue is her costume?

John Milton 

You know what ...I suddenly thought of a solution for Spider Women

She can just go naked if the issue is her costume?

They made her pregnant and changed her costume to a jacket and pants.

Devastatorsig.jpg

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lucy-decoutere-resigns-trailer-park-boys-star-denies-220839884.html

People are so brainwashed into believing that mena re monstorus rapist abusers that they no longer believe  the supposed 'victim' when they say it never happened.  PATHETIC.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

My last Skyrim character was female. I figured is I'm going to spend the next 100 or so gaming hours looking at someone's rear I might as well have a more pleasant view!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's because the modding community wield no power and no expert in creating everyone equal is interested in something powerless.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wonder why no one went after the Skyrim modding community.  All those curvy and "unrealistic" female body replacement  mods and skimpy armors.

Also if you think of Adult Mods you need to go to a specific place that is not easy to find 

John Milton 

Also if you think of Adult Mods you need to go to a specific place that is not easy to find 

First I'm not talking about adult mods necessarily as not everything sexualized is considered adult content. And second you're wrong, true adult mods are very easy to find. They are all over Nexus which is where all of the normal mods are.

As much as I love mods to games like Oblivion & Skyrim, those body mods and skimpy armors just look stupid to me. I mean seriously is looks like it is f-----g cold in Skyrim. No one is going to wear a bikini to fight a fire breathing dragon on a glacier during a blizzard.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

As much as I love mods to games like Oblivion & Skyrim, those body mods and skimpy armors just look stupid to me. I mean seriously is looks like it is f-----g cold in Skyrim. No one is going to wear a bikini to fight a fire breathing dragon on a glacier during a blizzard.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the skimpy armors either,