US Elections 2016

Gorth

What is the record for the longest thread we've ever had?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Your last four presidents have lead foreign policies that have had very significant impact on every day lives of lots of people all around world, in some cases even more than our local governments can do in one election cycle. Which is why your national elections have become even more reported thing than our local (national) elections in sometimes.

It's sad but my in-laws in Europe and Russia have been following the election more than my family in the states

Free games updated 3/4/21

Your last four presidents have lead foreign policies that have had very significant impact on every day lives of lots of people all around world, in some cases even more than our local governments can do in one election cycle. Which is why your national elections have become even more reported thing than our local (national) elections in sometimes.

That's a fair point. I don't think anyone here would argue the Afghanistan intervention was needed. But every one since was a bad idea. Congress could have stopped every one of them it's worth mentioning. You all know where I stand on US foreign policy and of of these 5 candidates the only two who favor a more reserved, less interventionist attitude are two who probably won't win. From a FP perspective do you think there will be a bit of difference in the actions of a Clinton, Cruz, or Kasich State Dept? I don't think there will be. So again, what does it matter? 

From what I have read there is only quite minor differences. Although Kasich seems to have more in focus building alliances and ensuring that they are safe (like how he speak how USA should ensure safety of Finland and Sweden for example), where Clinton and Cruz seem to take more direct approach. But for me any of them don't sound very appealing.

The era of weak executive branches started to go out of favor when horseless carriages started to pop up.

And even before then, we had Presidents who asserted their authority: Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, and Abraham Lincoln. Afterwards came the period when Presidents acted like a presiding figurehead more or less...atleast until Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson. After Wilson, we had weak presidencies up until FDR got elected. There's been no turning back since. (This is a good thing)

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

(This is a good thing)

No I'd have to disagree with you on that count. Obama has used executive orders to modify a law passed by congress and signed by him two years after the fact. The President's job is to enforce the laws passed by congress, not edit them. Or choose not to enforce them as he has done with illegal immigration. You don't want to live in a country where a single leader gets to do whatever the f--k he wants.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I also don't want to see the government gridlocked into in-action by a toxic and non-functioning legislature.

Even the Athenians had the sense to appoint a tyrant in times of crisis.

I'm not proposing autocratic rule, but using a business analogy, the CEO/Chairman of the Board should have authority over the rest of the board to be the final decision maker and guide the agenda.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I also don't want to see the government gridlocked into in-action by a toxic and non-functioning legislature.

Even the Athenians had the sense to appoint a tyrant in times of crisis.

I'm not proposing autocratic rule, but using a business analogy, the CEO/Chairman of the Board should have authority over the rest of the board to be the final decision maker and guide the agenda.

Not to nitpick but the CEO serves at the pleasure of the board. If they don't like the outcome of his actions they can remove him/her. Congress does not appoint a president and cannot remove a president un less he/she actually commits a crime. The CEO and board of directors have esentially the same resposibility. Congress has a set of responsibilities and powers and the President has a different set. You don't want a congress that thinks it can do the president's job and you definitely don't want the reverse.

That often toxic and often non-functioning legislature is actually fulfilling the role they are elected to do. I know when I voted in 2010, 2012, & 2014 I conciously voted for candidates who promised to go to Wahsington and stop the President. Not work with him. A lot of folks look at gridlocked govenment as an accident or a bad thing. It is something your fellow citizens walkind into a voting booth and voted for. By hoping and asking for a "strong man" president that will usurp the power of congress what you are really asking for is an autocrat that ignores the will of the people. 

Just a different way to think about it. The way to fix it is not to empower the president or weaken the congress. The way to fix it is to convince the voters to vote differently. Not nullify their votes by other means.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

That's a fair point. I don't think anyone here would argue the Afghanistan intervention was needed. But every one since was a bad idea. Congress could have stopped every one of them it's worth mentioning. You all know where I stand on US foreign policy and of of these 5 candidates the only two who favor a more reserved, less interventionist attitude are two who probably won't win. From a FP perspective do you think there will be a bit of difference in the actions of a Clinton, Cruz, or Kasich State Dept? I don't think there will be. So again, what does it matter? 

It's not just invasions and the like, there's also trade agreements and there there is some differences between candidates. Probably theoretical difference as I'd suspect when it came down to it all of Clinton, Cruz, Trump and Kasich would sign up to the TPPA/ TTIP whatever they say now but at least theoretically Clinton/ Trump and Sanders oppose TPPA with only Kasich outright supporting it.

It's not just invasions and the like, there's also trade agreements and there there is some differences between candidates. Probably theoretical difference as I'd suspect when it came down to it all of Clinton, Cruz, Trump and Kasich would sign up to the TPPA/ TTIP whatever they say now but at least theoretically Clinton/ Trump and Sanders oppose TPPA with only Kasich outright supporting it.

The trade deals and the support, or lack it, is a good indicator on where their priorities might be.

In other news, something very, very interesting might happen within 72 hours. 

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-31/dc-madams-attorney-says-election-bombshell-already-online

Probably too good to be true though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Perhaps more on the women Cruz allegedly had sex with? I find it more believable that he paid for sex than if he had an affair.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Fair enough. I'm a democrat and you're a libertarian.

Yep. Until we all assimilate into a bio-mechanical hive mind different folks will have different opinions on what the government should be doing and they'll send congress critters to DC that reflect that. And that will mean gridlock. It's a good thing actually, a beautiful thing. It's the democratic process in action. Republican democracy; the worst form of government around... except for all the others. :lol:  

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

The trade deals and the support, or lack it, is a good indicator on where their priorities might be.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-31/dc-madams-attorney-says-election-bombshell-already-online

Well I'll be very surprised if Cruz has had affairs, I dont particularly like him but to cheat on his wife....I find it hard to believe?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You don't think the US news media would print an untrue story about a US Presidential candidate to try to affect the outcome of an election would you??? Naaaahhhh that would never happen!  :lol:

Hey, is that Dan Rather over there?  :lol:

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

You don't think the US news media would print an untrue story about a US Presidential candidate to try to affect the outcome of an election would you??? Naaaahhhh that would never happen!  :lol:

Hey, is that Dan Rather over there?  :lol:

:lol:

I think Cruz is a victim of smear campaign.....shame remember old Dan Rather 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Eh... I find it easy to believe Cruz was banging extracurricular, but I was convinced a few years back that he was a bought and paid for say anything to get elected lying slimeball. Such folks always have big skeletons in their closet.

That said, I think that overall U.S. politics are way past it even mattering one way or another, on a number of levels, true or not.

At this point a bona fide video of a Presidential candidate anally raping their dead grandma while simultaneously eating the raw flesh of the neighbors kid could be released and a large portion of the population would find some way to apologize for it, or just outright ignore it if said candidate said things that they liked.

It can be astounding and horrific just much so many people like to be lied to.

• Like 1

It is a bit humorous that the Cruz affairs story broke and nobody really batted an eye.  It was just too outlandish.   :p

Oh so it was confirmed?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Well I'll be very surprised if Cruz has had affairs, I dont particularly like him but to cheat on his wife....I find it hard to believe?

The man has the face of a rat, the mannerism and body language of an ****, and has lied so much that it's even unbecoming of a politician. 

KP i think is on the money here. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The man has the face of a rat, the mannerism and body language of an ****, and has lied so much that it's even unbecoming of a politician. 

KP i think is on the money here. 

Well I hope you wrong but its going to show he is a hypocrite and upset many people who really believe what he says due to religious reasons 

John Milton 

John Kasich dropped out and has endorsed Donald Trump.

John Kasich dropped out and has endorsed Donald Trump.

April Fools?

I hate this day.

You hate April Fools?

Thats a first....why would you hate a day of jest?

John Milton