Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

I'm of a similar attitude, even those with journalism degrees are generally not undertaking the work they are supposed to, as i've said before the industry needs overhauling and an Ombudsman. At the moment it's a joke.

An ombudsman? Good luck getting a supra-national ombudsman going, as that is what would be needed- especially for games journalism. And most bloggers and the like can hide behind 'opinion' and being Schrodinger's Journalists- if they want embiggening they're journalists, if they want to hide from consequences they're bloggers or just stating an opinion with their free speech rights.

Unfortunately good journalism doesn't sell as well as bad journalism does, hence used toilet paper like the Daily Fail or The Scum being the highest selling brit papers. It's not surprising that most media is following their example, it's cheap and easy and financially viable to write sensationalist tripe, actual journalism is hard and may piss off powerful people to boot.

Yes it's a very distant dream, that I realise is extremely unlikely, however given the state of journalism I can't see much else fixing it. There are the rare examples of journalists whom want to do their jobs, and recognise the importance and value of the profession but as you say, there is also the tabloid pit which far too many are diving in. Why they do not see that they are devaluing their profession to the point of making it pointless, well that I cannot understand.

Edit: I think the amusing thing about the above young ladies video is that it can be encapsulated by the last few seconds, she states that she wants these guys to "shut up" and give someone else a chance, this is at the Oxford debating society. The whole idea of that institution is that no one is "shut up," that there is a free exchange of ideas and dialogue from everyone. She is simply arguing for censorship of white men, the ethnic majority of England whose privilege has been earned through the blood, sweat and tears of their mothers and fathers back into history.

It says a lot when a supposed intellectual wants to roll back an advancement in society and constrain a group so that others can take their place, when of course the reasonable would simply state that everyone should be lifted to the same position rather than be gagged.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I don't like It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia, I do like Seinfeld, and the character of Dr. Cox alone in Scrubs encapsulates everything that was great about Seinfeld and improves on it. I don't see how you can like Seinfeld and not like Scrubs.

I hated Seinfeld when I was a kid though. I think you have to hate people before you can like Seinfeld, because it's escapist fantasy about being a horrible person. I certainly would never want to spend any length of time with the people who created it.

Makes me wonder how long a show like Seinfeld would survive today. Probably one episode and then it would be deemed problematic and cancelled.

Scrubs just perpetually fell flat for me. Something about its sense of humor just didn't work. Plus, it always seemed more adult content-oriented than Seinfeld usually was, and Seinfeld was just about the most I could take/stomach in that regard. Most of Seinfeld's humor didn't come from that area, whereas it felt like Scrubs and Always Sunny were/are constantly trying to force it in...Always Sunny especially, which, as I've said in the past, is like Seinfeld on steroids and/or amphetamines. I actually like Always Sunny more than Scrubs, because it actually has a lot of parts I do find funny...but I have such a disdain for the parts that I don't that I find it difficult to watch. :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

More like "the wonderful judgement of young people who lack the context to understand most of the humor same sense of humor and/or taste in entertainment as you". Though I definitely do not like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia or Scrubs, I'm sure I dislike just about everything else Kaine or anyone else would use a "counter"-example. :p

I don't like It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia, I do like Seinfeld, and the character of Dr. Cox alone in Scrubs encapsulates everything that was great about Seinfeld and improves on it. I don't see how you can like Seinfeld and not like Scrubs.

I hated Seinfeld when I was a kid though. I think you have to hate people before you can like Seinfeld, because it's escapist fantasy about being a horrible person. I certainly would never want to spend any length of time with the people who created it.

Makes me wonder how long a show like Seinfeld would survive today. Probably one episode and then it would be deemed problematic and cancelled.

Am I allowed to not like Seinfeld but enjoy Scrubs? :biggrin:

Gee, have we wandered a bit off-topic here, but anyhow, one of the few sitcoms I really liked was 30 Rock. Alec Baldwin was just really outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTj47rcuM-4

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Actually there is something to shows having a time and a place where they appeal to you.  I tried to get into It's Always Sunny for a couple years, and then one day it just clicked with me.  It was probably when I started to daydream about owning a bar, and I found comfort in watching terribly incompetent people do it.   

• Like 1

More like "the wonderful judgement of young people who lack the context to understand most of the humor same sense of humor and/or taste in entertainment as you". Though I definitely do not like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia or Scrubs, I'm sure I dislike just about everything else Kaine or anyone else would use a "counter"-example. :p

They don't like Scrubs because they're bastard coated bastards with bastard filling

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ah the wonderful judgement of young people who lack the context to understand most of the humor.   :thumbsup:

It's not my fault I'm not 40. Blame my folks for not getting started earlier.

At first I was like "How dare you say I'm 40!"  and then I was like "Oh wait, I am almost 40."  Aging is weird.

:p

Ah the wonderful judgement of young people who lack the context to understand most of the humor.   thumbsup.gif

It's not my fault I'm not 40. Blame my folks for not getting started earlier.

At first I was like "How dare you say I'm 40!"  and then I was like "Oh wait, I am almost 40."  Aging is weird.

tongue.png

Well I suppose in about 16 years I'll be in the same situation, and some young punk on a forum will call me an old man or something.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

aaaahahaha

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If you think my "painted as an army of woman-eating Hitler clones" might have been a bit hyperbolic, you were right. It was.

But only just.

sDNF1bh.jpg

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

So.. he's both a gamer and a SJW. LMAO

So who do you call the Nazi? Decisions, decisions ....people don't appreciate all the stress you under Volo  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Extreme triggering.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Archive of polygon's Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain review.

The game's explanation for Quiet's mute, nearly-naked presence is inextricably tied to the game's convoluted story, and while her silence makes sense, her sexualized appearance doesn't feel earned. I couldn't shake the feeling that her visual design came first, with the game's ridiculous justification for her barely-there outfit coming second. Quiet is treated differently than other characters by the direction of the game's camera, too. During cutscenes, the camera sometimes pauses for a beat to focus — or straight up lingers — on Quiet's breasts. In one shot, we see it slide down the barrel of her sniper rifle, take measure of her cleavage before slowly rising up to her face. The camera framing puts her exposed body on display unnecessarily more often than not, whether we're looking down at Quiet's chest or gazing up at her bottom. Worse, a game event that hints at her being sexually assaulted felt more like a hamfisted plan to remove Quiet's pants just before she metes out gory revenge against her attackers. The Phantom Pain treats its few other female characters in a similar way, zeroing in on their jiggling breasts and panning across their asses in a silly, oversexualized way. It's distracting. It's annoying. It's tiresome.

Those sins only serve to detract from The Phantom Pain's finely tuned stealth-based gameplay.

"Sins" eh? These people are really starting to be indistinguishable from old school right wing religious nut jubs.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

i felt like I was reading an exotic story there. Nearly turned me on. The writer should switch jobs. L0L

And, I agree, writing like that comes across as a conservative anti sex psycho that 'liberals' used to bash for being so uptight. :p

GET. OVER. YOURSELF.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

https://archive.is/77wqO

Once upon a time... there was a white male so it was ok.

Some gamers may be nasty but at least they are not hypocrites.

I don't understand your point and I think it looks interesting?

Are you saying Destructoid needs to be more sympathetic towards Thompson health? And if so why should they ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Archive of polygon's Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain review.

The game's explanation for Quiet's mute, nearly-naked presence is inextricably tied to the game's convoluted story, and while her silence makes sense, her sexualized appearance doesn't feel earned. I couldn't shake the feeling that her visual design came first, with the game's ridiculous justification for her barely-there outfit coming second. Quiet is treated differently than other characters by the direction of the game's camera, too. During cutscenes, the camera sometimes pauses for a beat to focus — or straight up lingers — on Quiet's breasts. In one shot, we see it slide down the barrel of her sniper rifle, take measure of her cleavage before slowly rising up to her face. The camera framing puts her exposed body on display unnecessarily more often than not, whether we're looking down at Quiet's chest or gazing up at her bottom. Worse, a game event that hints at her being sexually assaulted felt more like a hamfisted plan to remove Quiet's pants just before she metes out gory revenge against her attackers. The Phantom Pain treats its few other female characters in a similar way, zeroing in on their jiggling breasts and panning across their asses in a silly, oversexualized way. It's distracting. It's annoying. It's tiresome.

Those sins only serve to detract from The Phantom Pain's finely tuned stealth-based gameplay.

"Sins" eh? These people are really starting to be indistinguishable from old school right wing religious nut jubs.

i felt like I was reading an exotic story there. Nearly turned me on. The writer should switch jobs. L0L

And, I agree, writing like that comes across as a conservative anti sex psycho that 'liberals' used to bash for being so uptight. :p

GET. OVER. YOURSELF.

I suppose the point is the game is  about oversexualization of characters and scenes...its similar to an accusation of objectification of women characters in a game 

Not sure how valid it is because I haven't played the game but it could be true ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

When i read about these Polygon writers whining about women, the more confused i become. Why are they being annoyed? What's wrong sexy women?

Have they been conditioned to hate male impulses?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy