What you did today

Blarghagh

Thank you, honestly thanks. I will take a look into them, but some are very specific, i will see. Still, i will need to way to effectly burn fat, which i will end up a crosstrainer i guess until i feel fit enough to to do more. But one doesn´t exclude the other...a combination would be perfect, but i will check back with my orthopedist to see how much my back can take :)

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Hm...i´m sceptical, twisting my body to help my back sounds very counterproductive, not saying it won´t work. Just being sceptical, i´m a big guy (and i don´t mean fat with that), Bending myself doesn´t work very well, i know its a matter of training. The idea however is interesting. hmmmm...thinking about it.

Years of lifting have made me rather big too (186cm 102kg), but that does not automatically mean stiff.

Out of curiosity I tried a couple of Yoga exercises and found out that I'm flexible enough to do almost all of them but the most exotic ones. Makes sense, most lifts require a lot of flexibility since their range of motion is very big.

Yoga does have its place, though I'm a die hard advocate of good old iron pumping, especially the 4 power lifts to strengthen the entire body. Overhead press, deadlift, squat and bench press. There are no other methods that strengthen your body as much as doing those basic lifts with heavy weights. The problem with yoga is its limited to your own body weight, eventually you reach a level you can handle up to 2-2.5 times your own body weight in several exercises. Especially the the king of exercises, the deadlift. The majority of untrained people can deadlift their own weight right from the start, the pros can do 3 times their own weight.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Today on my way home back from work I passed by a Mobil that yesterday had prices at around $3.75 for a gallon of Unleaded.

Today it was at $4.65, and I did a double take and incredulously thought to myself: "Did Iran sink a tanker in the Gulf with a Silkworm while I was at work or something?"

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I've been working my friends mail district for 11 days now, and I've got some 20 days to go before my friend goes back to work as normal and I've been trying to keep the pace up as high as possible. It's gone reasonably well, actually managed to jog most of the time and run up the stairs (where it does'nt sound much), except that my left achilles tendon is starting to hurt something fierce. I've been forced to walk most of the time now wich feels kind of ****ty. =(

Did have a slow day today, but for the past two or so weeks we've been playing PnP rpg's almost daily, Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Eon(Swedish low fantasy game, 4th edition), Neotech (from the same people as Eon except cyberpunk), Star Wars and Shadowrun. Loads of fun and tears =)

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Yep, been doing DDP Yoga for a while and it's helped my back more than 3 years attempting to do core excercises.

Thats intersting but HOW does it work o.O i mean you don´t really build up much muscle mass to, as an example, compansate for the lack of disc matter in my case. You get more flexible, maybe improve your posture? I´m really curious, my back problems have always been a problem in my life.

Edit: oh i see DDP..right..but that is more a workout than yoga...guess its a point of view? :D

Yoga isn't just about flexibility. The core of any type of yoga is balance. While DDP has more of a workout factor than other yoga regimens (don't let that fool you, 75% of it is standard yoga moves with cooler names), balance still plays the most important role and yoga certainly helps build muscle. My back problem is curvature of the spine, leading to wide variation in the strength of my core muscles - a massive imbalance. I'm always leaning to one side, so to speak, and my muscles reflect that. I had physical therapy and weight-lifting excercises to try and compensate but it wasn't really effective.

DDP Yoga has been a serious help because instead of just strengthening muscles by muscle group wholesale and risk overstraining or injuring my back due to that imbalance (said injuring then leading to breaks, losing progress, demotivation etc., not everyone has the strength of will do pump iron all the time like Woldan :p) its bringing my muscles back into balance.

I don't know if it'll work for a lack of disc matter though, you might have to consult an expert for that. But it's helped me with other issues too. I had a nasty accident a couple of years ago where I lost a lot of mobility in my (dominant) right wrist and hand that the doctors said I would never get back. But ever since I've been doing DDP Yoga, it's improved in leaps and bounds. I still can't do super complicated stuff like write, but I can grab stuff properly again and even snap my fingers. I'm not the only one who swears by it. I came across it after reading about a dude named Arthur Boorman. Gulf War veteran that was told he'd never be able to walk again, and he credits DDP Yoga with his subsequent recovery and now he's running marathons. Google him, it's very inspiring.

I feel like a salesman now... It's not like DDP is the end-all of fitness. Once I have achieved decent balance I'm going to plateau muscle-wise using DDP and Woldan's technique will have better effect (like he said, it's mostly limited to your own bodyweight, DDP uses what he calls "dynamic resistence" which helps a little, but it's not going to be the same as weights). DDP is just very effective for people with problems, and it's helped me a lot so I get enthousiastic about it. It's not a miracle cure. In fact, it surprised me a lot with how goddamn hard it is. :p You're not just standing around doing weird stretches. But for me it's been worth it so far.

• Like 2

Hey Woldan, sorry about your mom's accident, man!  I'm glad she's well.  Don't go smiting anyone in a fit of rage!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hey Woldan, sorry about your mom's accident, man!  I'm glad she's well.  Don't go smiting anyone in a fit of rage!

Yeah, no need for that, judging by that guys intellect its safe to assume that he will smite himself in the near future.
  • Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

My brother, his wife and my two nieces ( age 6 and 9 and very  cute) came up from coast and we had a family lunch with my mom and stepdad at a very rustic but popular Portuguese  restaurant called the Madeira Bar. I had Chicken Livers for starters and the Peri-Peri Chicken for my main ( its Portuguese you have  to eat Chicken )

My 6 year old niece was sitting opposite me so I spent the lunch throwing little pieces of paper at her and then denying I was throwing them at her...every time  she was about to throw one back at me  I would say something like " Katie you musn't throw things at the table..its bad manners "  :biggrin:  We ended up having a great time with lots of laughs

Today I'm going with  friends to the Fourways Farmers Market, the place focuses on artisan and specialty food stalls so you can eat things like Philly Steak Rolls and of course there are Cheese Stalls ..plus there is live music and loads to drink so it should be a great day  :dancing:  :dancing:

http://www.ffmarket.co.za/

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A decade or so ago Mrs Nonek took over my training while recovering from a back injury on the Rugby pitch, her yoga and low impact cardio more than did the trick, I began hardly able to move and ended more flexible than ever. Bearing in mind i'm hyper flexible so i'd agree that yoga is more than effective, i've got to admit I still work out with her at least once a week.

If any of you are pondering a summer holiday may I recommend Dubrovnik, spent a fortnight in a small villa by the coast there as a prelude to the childrens summer holidays, and it was a most charming locale. The architecture is beautiful and golden especially in the old town, the locals are friendly and polite from what I saw, the Adriatic is a nice change from the cold dark seas of home, and the prices are quite competitive (though that may be just the current strength of the pound) in the restaurants and shops.

Not too many loud, drunk English either, a definite plus.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Got called a liar to my face because I said that there should be service guys out in the rental lot for an old lady to ask questions of (Ended up having to call the guys over to basically write her instructions how to drive the vehicle.... and they were at it almost a full hour trying to explain anything). They've got me opening the place on weekends, which is a bit wierd given it's my third overall week, but I think I did decent for money... especially after I closed out a contract of a kid who said "give me the fuel option" on a 11 day contract... which you can't do at the end of your contract. So he ends up paying 300 bucks for a half tank of gas (they charge either by how much gas is put in or how far you went... he drove from Colorado).

• Like 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Next pet: anteater.

Got an invasion going on? Is'nt that why you have firearms? ^^

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Got called a liar to my face

ah Service industry, I do not miss you. I've found that people who are a little well off (but not excessivly so) are the absolutely worst customers ever. Exceedingly greedy, impatient and rude.

Extremely poor and extremely rich people tend to tip even (in a country where you don't tip). Just shows that humans can't handle a little power, we apperantly need  it all - or non :)

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

Next pet: anteater.

Hope they're ants and not a termite swarm trying to start a new colony.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Interesting. I tip pretty much everyone that physically has to bring me something (waiter/pizza guy/bartender), but not people standing at a register. I remember years ago we were at a trade show in Detroit and went across the border to Canada to hit a strip club. At that time, unlike in the US, you were not supposed to bait the dancers with $1 bills. My mind was blown.

• Like 1

Sometimes I tip people at a register. Depends on how complicated my order is. It helps that it's not expected here, so nobody feels slighted if I dont tip. So if you're just the dude that gives me a plastic cup of tea at the register, I'm not obligated to reward you. If I order ten different subs with non-standard toppings and some of them lactose or gluten free, I'm perfectly willing to reward you.

Interesting. I tip pretty much everyone that physically has to bring me something 

What about a traffic cop who brings you a fine ....do you tip him  :ermm:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Interesting. I tip pretty much everyone that physically has to bring me something (waiter/pizza guy/bartender), but not people standing at a register. I remember years ago we were at a trade show in Detroit and went across the border to Canada to hit a strip club. At that time, unlike in the US, you were not supposed to bait the dancers with $1 bills. My mind was blown.

Well, probably because they'd take loonies. Hm, probably not I guess, you can't throw coins at them :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Our office finally got wireless internet service.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Interesting. I tip pretty much everyone that physically has to bring me something.

Well the pizza delivery guy gets paid around 21$/h so tipping isn't really necessary. Everyone can live off the average pay alone here as long as they work ~30 hours a week.

Fortune favors the bald.