Bruce Jenner "comes out" as female...

FaustianEchoes

Not even a mention?

Holy hell, where did you people get educated? This is high school level history! :facepalm:

Feminism wasn't taught in any history class i've been to. 

It wasn't specifically that feminism was taught, the women's liberation movement was just covered as one of the many things characterizing hippies, civil rights movements and the 70's in general. (Oh yeah, Donna from That 70's Show also mentioned her pretty often to the point it became annoying).

The closest thing was a mention of women getting the right to vote (without any names of the campaigners) and some burning of bras in the 60's and 70's, but that was linked to Trotskyist, Stalinist and other far left movements. Come to think of it, Jane Fonda was mentioned as controversial figure, but that was more for her anti-war protests.

Most history was focused on the middle ages, the enlightment, industrial revolution, local history from 1100-1914 and the great wars. Everything after was extra courses for those interested.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm seriously confused now. I have never mentioned Gloria Steinem and been met with a chorus of "who is that" and this is generally one of the smarter, more informed message boards I frequent. :huh:

Take a census of the people asking and their date of joining, I think that after PoE the average IQ of these forums fell down. No offense to anyone.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Would that be related to age? That can't be it. I'm... only... 27...

Oh god, am I old now? Is this what we've come to?

I am older than you, so it is not an age thing. 

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm seriously confused now. I have never mentioned Gloria Steinem and been met with a chorus of "who is that" and this is generally one of the smarter, more informed message boards I frequent. :huh:

Take a census of the people asking and their date of joining, I think that after PoE the average IQ of these forums fell down. No offense to anyone.

Yeah, not sure about that method.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You guys only retain about 5% of what you are taught in history classes, so this isn't a huge surprise.  Unless Feminism was an actual interest area, of course.  Which given the way people talk on here, it would seem to be.   :facepalm:

• Like 1

You guys only retain about 5% of what you are taught in history classes, so this isn't a huge surprise.  Unless Feminism was an actual interest area, of course.  Which given the way people talk on here, it would seem to be.   :facepalm:

No really. I am equally flabbergasted that feminism as an idea is taught in history class. The closest thing was a couple of paragraphs of the women's liberations movement in the beginning of the 20th century and some strikes for equal pay in the 60's, but those were intertwined to the general student rebellion at that time.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

To be fair, other than Joan of Arc which I suppose could be considered feminist (I don't know how, but many people seem to think so) the women's liberation movement and related civil rights movements were literally the only feminism related thing that was actually discussed in my history books. It's not like I was taught about "patriarchy" or whatever. That's still something that only Tumblr and Twitter keep blathering on about. We spent a lot more time on black civil rights movements.

I suppose the irony is that I can remember almost all history I was taught from prehistoric findings to egypt to vietnam (which was pretty much the last thing that was covered in my high school) but I can't remember a single bloody thing they tried to teach me about dutch history.

To be fair, other than Joan of Arc which I suppose could be considered feminist (I don't know how, but many people seem to think so) the women's liberation movement and related civil rights movements were literally the only feminism related thing that was actually discussed in my history books. It's not like I was taught about "patriarchy" or whatever. That's still something that only Tumblr and Twitter keep blathering on about. We spent a lot more time on black civil rights movements.

I suppose the irony is that I can remember almost all history I was taught from prehistoric findings to egypt to vietnam (which was pretty much the last thing that was covered in my high school) but I can't remember a single bloody thing they tried to teach me about dutch history.

Well to be fair, the only Dutch history that we were taught in scando-land was the colonizations in Asia and that they sold New Amsterdam for almost nothing :p

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Well to be fair, the only Dutch history that we were taught in scando-land was the colonizations in Asia and that they sold New Amsterdam for almost nothing :p

Come now, come now. We got Surinam for it. It was a steal! I mean, New York on one side, Surinam on the other... Which would you pick? The choice is obvious.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Come now, come now. We got Surinam for it. It was a steal! I mean, New York on one side, Surinam on the other... Which would you pick? The choice is obvious.

Surinam's great potential on production of different spices is still not fully realized! Any day now! (i would've picked it as well if i lived back then :p)

I am equally flabbergasted that feminism as an idea is taught in history class. 

For some reason, I'm not surprised at all : ]

Touché

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I have two questions: One, who is Bruce Jenner? Two, why should I care about which gender he is identifying himself with, it's his own business surely?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Bruce Jenner is a D list celeb on a program on e! or MTV or something with some over exposed Americo-Armenians. Then no, and yes.

I was taught a lot more but that's about all I remember. That and there's something with... pirate mercenaries? At some point?

What, no De Ruyter smoking the English fleet at Chatham? That's as good for a history troll as the Volournians burning Washington in 1814.

• Like 2

Bruce Jenner is a D list celeb on a program on e! or MTV or something with some over exposed Americo-Armenians. Then no, and yes.

I was taught a lot more but that's about all I remember. That and there's something with... pirate mercenaries? At some point?

What, no De Ruyter smoking the English fleet at Chatham? That's as good for a history troll as the Volournians burning Washington in 1814.

Actually all true Englishmen swear revenge on the Dutch.

It's hilarious.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.