Bruce Jenner "comes out" as female...

FaustianEchoes

You Europeans eat some weird ****.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Holy hell, where did you people get educated? This is high school level history! facepalmri6.gif

If you must know, I was educated in a country where 25% of people believe the sun revolves around the earth, and one in three will agree that humans and dinosaurs coexisted at some point.

For me, reading these boards is the e-quivalent of going for coffee at Les Deux Magots, man.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Pass. I did make a mistake, she's the roundabout that seperates MLK and Ghandi. Our word for road is weg. If you want to put in the effort to search it up for yourself, go ahead, but posting a link to my hometown gets a bit too personal on the internet for me. I've no interest in giving GG or especially their opponents more information about me so they can contact my employers and try to get me fired.

Don't do that. 

I've spent like an hour looking, and I found a roundabout connecting Martin Luther Kingweg and Mahatma Gandhiweg, but it's named Rotonde Moeder Teresa.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Man who claim they are Napoleon are locked away as lunatics and treated.

Pretty sure whether the person was "locked away" (much less treated) would be highly variable depending on whether the person was still functioning in society and/or a danger to themselves or other.

A person who feels a kinship with Napoleon, buys Napoleonic things, dresses as Napoleon in their spare time... perhaps even thinks they were Napoleon in a past life but who holds a steady job, has not trouble with the police and doesn't intend to conscript an army and conquer Europe would probably be ignored by the mental health profession in the US.

I have two questions: One, who is Bruce Jenner? Two, why should I care about which gender he is identifying himself with, it's his own business surely?

1976 Summer Olympics Gold Medal winner in the Decathlon; he set a world record with his win (that stood until 1980) and was considered quite the star in the US at the time. He also was in the comedy flop Can't Stop the Music that was a showcase vehicle for the Village People.

Why you should care...well that's personal innit?  If you don't care you don't care.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Pass. I did make a mistake, she's the roundabout that seperates MLK and Ghandi. Our word for road is weg. If you want to put in the effort to search it up for yourself, go ahead, but posting a link to my hometown gets a bit too personal on the internet for me. I've no interest in giving GG or especially their opponents more information about me so they can contact my employers and try to get me fired.

Don't do that. 

I've spent like an hour looking, and I found a roundabout connecting Martin Luther Kingweg and Mahatma Gandhiweg, but it's named Rotonde Moeder Teresa.

For real? I could have sworn it was the Gloria Steinem Rotonde. Must have been a roundabout or roadway somewhere else, not connected to those. I'm going to chalk it up to brainfart. :shrugz: To be fair, Mother Teresa does fit in with that list much better and I always did think it was ridiculous. Still, I was so certain. :lol: But fair enough, with that and 90% of members here not knowing who she is, I concede that Steinem is apparently not as well known as I previously thought.

An hour, though?

Didn't take me an hour to find that. The rest of it, I spent trying to find another one which was named for Gloria Steinem.

I did discover that you Dutch like to name streets after anti-colonialists and civil rights heroes of all kinds. No Sukarnoweg or -straat though, wonder why...

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

For sprinkles?

No, for inflicting possibly the only major naval defeat the english navy had between Sluys and pretty much forever and worse, being awfully cheeky about it. Spare a thought for poor old frenchie too, they spent six centuries trying and losing.

(I was given some of those sprinkles when I was in Enschede)

Didn't take me an hour to find that. The rest of it, I spent trying to find another one which was named for Gloria Steinem.

I did discover that you Dutch like to name streets after anti-colonialists and civil rights heroes of all kinds. No Sukarnoweg or -straat though, wonder why...

Well, it's not all anti-colonialists. Where I live, we have a street called the Luitenant Generaal van Heutszlaan.

Some background on this lovely fellow from Wikipidia:

At the advice of an Acehnese noble, he also altered the tactics of the Royal Dutch East Indies Army by introducing small mobile forces which were successful against the guerrilla tactics of the Achenese.

Van Heutsz commissioned Colonel Van Daalen with the challenge of breaking any remaining resistance. Van Daalen destroyed several villages, killing at least 2,900 Acehnese, among which were 1,150 women and children. Dutch losses numbered just 26, and Van Daalen was promoted. By 1903, Van Heutsz tactics had succeeded in convincing several secular Acehnese resistance leaders including Sultan Mugammad Daud, Tuanku Raja Keumala, Tuanku Mahmud and Teuku Panglima Polem Muda Perkasa to surrender to the colonial authorities. Having overcome the secular elements of the resistance, Aceh was declared by the Dutch to be officially pacified by 1903.

I guess every former colonial power still has relics from former days like this, but I still shake my head every time I cycle through and I see that street sign. There's even a restaurant there named after him, "The General". Heh.

• Like 2

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I'm seriously confused now. I have never mentioned Gloria Steinem and been met with a chorus of "who is that" and this is generally one of the smarter, more informed message boards I frequent. :huh:

Grade 11 social studies in BC (Canada), was mostly ww1, ww2, the build up to both, and Canadian civics. Anything outside Canada was covered in History 12, which I didnt take, as in grade 12 we were allowed to pick electives for our social studies credit and I took Civilization instead, which I regret since it was a quick overview on the major ancient civs then a whole lot on different art classifications. Turned into nap class. I tend to find pre 20th century history more interesting, hence avoiding History 12.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

How are the manslaughter charges against Jenner coming?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm seriously confused now. I have never mentioned Gloria Steinem and been met with a chorus of "who is that" and this is generally one of the smarter, more informed message boards I frequent. :huh:

Grade 11 social studies in BC (Canada), was mostly ww1, ww2, the build up to both, and Canadian civics. Anything outside Canada was covered in History 12, which I didnt take, as in grade 12 we were allowed to pick electives for our social studies credit and I took Civilization instead, which I regret since it was a quick overview on the major ancient civs then a whole lot on different art classifications. Turned into nap class. I tend to find pre 20th century history more interesting, hence avoiding History 12.

It was in my history class too. My social studies class was remarkably focused on local politics with a hilariously biased teacher consistently referring to the right as "rich bastards" and the left as "the good guys". :lol:

Here is a man from Belgium, who was obsessed with penguins.

He collected everything to do with penguins, walked through town in a penguin suit, and in the end wanted to be laid to rest with a penguin themed funeral.

I like the little buggers myself, but not *that* much.

Was he crazy? Maybe. But he was harmless, so people left him alone, and he seemed to get a lot of joy out of it.

There are lots of things I don't understand, and find to be "odd", but I am not going around asking for, say, adults who still play with miniature trains to be locked up just because I don't understand why they'd want to do that.

• Like 3

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Man who claim they are Napoleon are locked away as lunatics and treated.

Pretty sure whether the person was "locked away" (much less treated) would be highly variable depending on whether the person was still functioning in society and/or a danger to themselves or other.

A person who feels a kinship with Napoleon, buys Napoleonic things, dresses as Napoleon in their spare time... perhaps even thinks they were Napoleon in a past life but who holds a steady job, has not trouble with the police and doesn't intend to conscript an army and conquer Europe would probably be ignored by the mental health profession in the US.

Are you saying that transgenders are basically cosplayers?

That or you try to diminish the argument about mentally ill people who truly think they are  for example Napoleon (not fans, not cosplayers, not comedians, a sincere belief and acting on this belief).

I think you really insult mentally ill people by comparing them to mentally healthy cosplayers. When discussing a serious issues like mental health we should at least try not to derail the conversation to absurd territories.

No, in answer to your question, I am not.

What I am saying is that 9 times out of 10 a fully functioning person with mental illness is going to be treated privately according to the current standards of care OR they're not going to be treated at all because they haven't done anything actually criminal to trigger forced treatement upon them.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Nothing on this? Jenner likely caused a wreck due to negligence, so is Jenner going to face any consequences?

As far as I know the investigation is still ongoing - haven't heard anything one way or the other about that accident.

Edit: Last News Stories i could find:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/bruce-jenner-dodge-manslaughter-charge-crash-article-1.2171873

http://www.ibtimes.com/bruce-jenner-car-crash-victim-kim-howes-family-reportedly-looking-legal-action-1867966

Edited by Amentep

Nothing on this? Jenner likely caused a wreck due to negligence, so is Jenner going to face any consequences?

It's funny how hard you try to avoid using pronouns... :p

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

From the brief blurb I read, it is unclear who was at fault.  Even if he is, vehicular manslaughter is usually reserved for gross negligence or driving under the influence.  

It's funny how hard you try to avoid using pronouns... tongue.png

I'm confused at the status, as Jenner was still a man when the wreck happened. Are pronouns retroactive or is Bruce dead and a (female name) Jenner is there instead?

From the brief blurb I read, it is unclear who was at fault.  Even if he is, vehicular manslaughter is usually reserved for gross negligence or driving under the influence.

I believe there was something about using a cellphone or driving under the influence.

EDIT: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/bruce-jenner-may-be-at-fault-in-fatal-car-wreck-cops-have-video-2015192

Sources say he was inattentive and was at fault for the wreck. Not sure how valid they are, but I have no reason to doubt them

Edited by KaineParker

I believe there was something about using a cellphone or driving under the influence.

Cell phone records indicate he wasn't on his cell phone texting or calling.

Manslaughter hadn't been ruled out (and still hasn't, AFAIK) because even though he was under the speed limit, there were questions on whether he was still driving too fast considering the traffic ahead of him.

It's funny how hard you try to avoid using pronouns... tongue.png

I'm confused at the status, as Jenner was still a man when the wreck happened. Are pronouns retroactive or is Bruce dead and a (female name) Jenner is there instead?

Generally the post-transition pronoun is preferred as far as I'm aware.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Eight pages in. Wow. If you truely want to know what to call Bruce Jenner, then I have the answer.

He is male, but possesses organs from another being.That makes him a.....Chimera! This is more common than you think though. For starters, every pregnant woman you've ever met is one throughout a major portion of their pregnancy.

Bonus fun fact: People with pace-makers are technically cyborgs. My patients always got a kick out of that when I'd tell them. The future is now!